News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Meandering was probably the wrong word. I was picturing something like the Frontierland/ Fantasyland paths into the GE tunnels. But yeah I believe the rumor was Smoozies is gone so I’d imagine the facades from Smoozies to the end of the street are gone (on that side) which I’m ok with. I would just like the appearance of a street to remain from the hub with the trolley still going up and down.
When I think of a meandering path, I think of the Critter Country to GE path and I think that is too much wasted space for this. And to build a whole berm tunnel like for the Frontierland/Fantasyland paths into the GE also just seems like too much wasted space for me. Heck there has been discussion that they could have kept Big Thunder Ranch and still had a transition into GE with how much space that berm tunnel area wasted.

I think whatever they are going to do it would have to work on both HW Blvd and Sunset Blvd entrances, unless they close one of them. Which is why Hyperion probably goes so that transition from Sunset Blvd can happen.

mickEblu

When I think of a meandering path, I think of the Critter Country to GE path and I think that is too much wasted space for this. And to build a whole berm tunnel like for the Frontierland/Fantasyland paths into the GE also just seems like too much wasted space for me. Heck there has been discussion that they could have kept Big Thunder Ranch and still had a transition into GE with how much space that berm tunnel area wasted.

I think whatever they are going to do it would have to work on both HW Blvd and Sunset Blvd entrances, unless they close one of them. Which is why Hyperion probably goes so that transition from Sunset Blvd can happen.

Yeah I’d agree. Not because the length of the path itself necessarily but because a path like that implies a lot of place making along the path which takes up even more space. I mean was the Bugs Land entrance from TOT bad? I thought it was rather charming. Some sort of canopied entrance with foliage and tall bamboo and boom you’re there.

A tunnel on the other hand doesn’t really have to mean a lot of wasted space. Think Super Mario Land at USH.

I don’t think I understand why the Hyperion would have to go though?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah I’d agree. Not because the length of the path itself necessarily but because a path like that implies a lot of place making along the path which takes up even more space. I mean was the Bugs Land entrance from TOT bad? I thought it was rather charming. Some sort of canopied entrance with foliage and tall bamboo and boom you’re there.

A tunnel on the other hand doesn’t really have to mean a lot of wasted space. Think Super Mario Land at USH.
I've never been to any Universal Park, and have no desire. I've seen the commercials however for Nintendo World, and if its like the commercials which has the tunnel at more than a few feet long, that is too much wasted space in my opinion. You could build a retail shop or quick service in how long that tunnel looks in the commercial. But if its only a few feet then maybe its fine, but again I don't think a huge berm wall is needed here. And I imagine whatever they do it would move the entrance up to where the sidewalk is now. And still have the Trolley run in front of it.

I don’t think I understand why the Hyperion would have to go though?
Other than the fact that was part of the rumor, it would be in prime real estate for additional Avatar related stuff that could be built, ie you could put potentially multiple things in that space. It would be isolated from everything else that was "HW". My opinion is either it goes with Avatar or it goes with Avengers Campus.

Professortango1

Exactly, there really doesn't have to be some mental gymnastics to it "fitting", its a theme park just create whatever is needed to transition from one to the other.
So, moving towards the amusement parks that Walt wanted to move away from? Just random facades and attractions placed wherever they physically fit, even if they didn't support the storytelling.

There's a reason Galaxy's Edge is hidden and has long transitions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So, moving towards the amusement parks that Walt wanted to move away from? Just random facades and attractions placed wherever they physically fit, even if they didn't support the storytelling.

Actually no that is not what I meant.

The point was that one doesn't have to do some type of huge mental gymnastics to make something fit. If you wave your hand and say x it can fit, just like GE fits in DL because Disney says so not because it had to fit some theme of the Park. But this is why moving away from the "California" theme ultimately makes the most sense as it doesn't limit them to forcing something to fit the "California" theme. They can then tell whatever story they want in any of the lands based on the theme of the land rather than trying to fit this vague theme of "California".

Honestly we're never going to see eye-to-eye on this anyways. Disney is going to do whatever they are going to do whether any of us here like it or not.

britain

I hear your point, but DL is home to dozens of charming places where one themed area steps on the toes of adjoining themed areas, and because the designers knew how to make those clashes harmonious and pleasant, it works.

Professortango1

I hear your point, but DL is home to dozens of charming places where one themed area steps on the toes of adjoining themed areas, and because the designers knew how to make those clashes harmonious and pleasant, it works.
They still transition though. Look at the building that acts as a transition between Adventureland with Bazar and Bengal BBQ, to a more Carribean look, to NOS architecture with River Belle Terrace, to western with Stage Door Cafe and Golden Horeshoe. They all naturally transition. Its hard to have a 1930's LA street naturally transition to lush alien planet with very little room to do so.

Plus, there IS still the overall theme of the park. Until Disney dumps the California aspect and figures out what to do with Grizzly Peak, that will forever be the square whole that they are always trying shove a round peg into.

mickEblu

They still transition though. Look at the building that acts as a transition between Adventureland with Bazar and Bengal BBQ, to a more Carribean look, to NOS architecture with River Belle Terrace, to western with Stage Door Cafe and Golden Horeshoe. They all naturally transition. Its hard to have a 1930's LA street naturally transition to lush alien planet with very little room to do so.

Plus, there IS still the overall theme of the park. Until Disney dumps the California aspect and figures out what to do with Grizzly Peak, that will forever be the square whole that they are always trying shove a round peg into.

TOT to Bugs Land worked fine IMO. Now just imagine a bigger Bugs Land entrance to the backlot.

I think the issue is that modern imagineerings new hyper real/ ultra immersive way of doing things has some thinking that something like this is unacceptable when it’s something that used to be done all the time. I understand that Disneyland was designed with the hub and some model but you’re basically stepping from Main Street to Adventureland. I view the hub as an extension of Main Street. I mean technically it’s part of Main Street on the map anyway.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Plop a big "Stargate" looking portal at the entrance and say that RDA invented it and built it in California as a quick way to get to Pandora. It really doesn't have to be that complex. And honestly its only fans such as yourself on sites like this that really care anyways. Regular guests aren't going to care that they go from a 1930s LA street to Pandora.

Professortango1

Plop a big "Stargate" looking portal at the entrance and say that RDA invented it and built it in California as a quick way to get to Pandora. It really doesn't have to be that complex. And honestly its only fans such as yourself on sites like this that really care anyways. Regular guests aren't going to care that they go from a 1930s LA street to Pandora.
What does RDA have to do with California/Hollywood? Why would there be a portal right there?

It would be like adding the Iron Man Flight simulator and show building where Aladdin's Oasis is. Sure, Iron Man could be classified as an adventure film, but a modern sci-fi building in the heart of Adventureland would seem weird. As would an alien world right next to The Hyperion,

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What does RDA have to do with California/Hollywood? Why would there be a portal right there?

It would be like adding the Iron Man Flight simulator and show building where Aladdin's Oasis is. Sure, Iron Man could be classified as an adventure film, but a modern sci-fi building in the heart of Adventureland would seem weird. As would an alien world right next to The Hyperion,
You can come up with any number of stories. For example RDA found that there was a perfect temporal condition in California near Hollywood for the portal to Pandora and setup a site. Or if you want to make it meta specific to DCA, you can say that they found this temporal location in DCA for the portal. Or the path from BVS toward Pandora leads to a different location in California like further north closer to Silicon Valley where this temporal condition happens. Or any number of things that can be thought up in 30 seconds to have it "fit" that 99.9% of guests aren't going to care about anyways.

Professortango1

They can call it Disney Cinematic Adventure and still keep the DCA acronym. That is basically what the Park is becoming, an adventure through the worlds of Disney movies.
They would still need to retheme Grizzly Peak since that whole area isn't tied to any IP or Franchise like the rest of the park. That's why I am all for turning Grizzly Peak into Pandora. Would I rather have the original goal of DCA? Yes. 100%. But since Disney has given up on that goal, then they just need to make Grizzly Peak fit the park they have now; a quasi-California-themed dumping ground for IPs.

britain

They would still need to retheme Grizzly Peak since that whole area isn't tied to any IP or Franchise like the rest of the park. That's why I am all for turning Grizzly Peak into Pandora. Would I rather have the original goal of DCA? Yes. 100%. But since Disney has given up on that goal, then they just need to make Grizzly Peak fit the park they have now; a quasi-California-themed dumping ground for IPs.
I would rather have grizzly peak as it is, perfect and beautiful, be an exception inside a movies park, than have the “purity” of a movies-only theme.

Disney Analyst

I don't actually know if the name needs to change. They changed the meaning behind the name long ago.

It's Disney California Adventure, no longer Disney's California Adventure.

It's a park of Adventure, Disney adventures, in California.

They may draw some inspiration from California for theming and such, but it's simply a Disney park, in California.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom