News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Which is why I don't think there this is a win or a significant reason to settle for Disney. I'm trying to see how you can find any win they are after. Maybe top down they were told to get out of the fight and focus on the near term only. Maybe getting the next 10yrs lined up for the comp plan and a gentleman's agreement is all they could get while meeting the mandate to get out of the fight. It's the only area right now where motivations line up from both sides... of course DeSantis wants major expansion of business, and so does Disney. But by giving DeSantis the cosmetic win, they get DeSantis to back off the pressure and let him choose the narrative.

Iger didn't appear to be in this for the victory for corporations or America... he's got near term issues to deal with. Getting this off the table, even in an imperfect way, may just have been the concession a short-timer is willing to make so he can fight the bigger fires.
I wasn’t calling it a win. I was identifying it as evidence of Disney capitulating. They have handed the board and this the state their most powerful coercive tool.

I have thoughts on how Disney sees this as a win but they’re off topic.

EPCOT-O.G.

Their arguments didn't prevail - but good attempt at the victory lap. Too bad you tripped on turn 1
The CFTOD state lawsuit sought to invalidate the agreements entered into between the RCID and Disney. By operation of the settlement, those agreements are null and void. The RCID was not reconstituted, and CFTOD exists. The federal case has been dismissed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The development agreement locked in the development regulations that were based on the comprehensive plan. The development agreement did not change processes, it prevented them from being changed. Now they can be changed.

ERGO - how it changed the process. It changed who had approvals and locked in the expectations through contract - all in addition (or an overlay as I put it) to the legislative established process. AKA it changed the process of how things could happen.

Disstevefan1

TWDC had a sweet deal with Florida that both TWDC and RCID enjoyed for over 50 years.

That's gone now.

My hope is TWDC can move on and make WDW the best vacation location in the world.

Universal Orlando is building like mad and they never had any special deals.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep. I take it as a bit of a swipe. A lot of the basis for the State's action was speculated/discussed to be because of the fact Disney entered into the political realm and had no business in telling the State what it should or should not do by way of governing. I'm not making a case either for or against. Simply stating the rationale and prevailing thought.

Now DeSantis wants to express his thoughts by entering the Theme Park realm and giving Disney pointers on how to combat Uni's expansion.

You’re not on target here, Red Five…

Today’s announcements changes nothing of the actual factual record of what has occurred. It’s not a football game with a scoreboard

Dranth

The comprehensive plan is not like the developer agreement that was in contention here. The Comprehensive Plan is the outline of the development and land management of the property for a period of time. It is not untouchable, nor immune for regular modifications and or exceptions. There is no basis to sue over the board just doing normal board things.

The developer agreement on the other hand was a modification (through overlay) to the process to constrain changes and who would have to consent to them. That was tight, and why it was such a point of contention.

The Comprehensive Plan is more like long term planning for zoning, development, and land management. A framework.. an outline. It's more of a hurdle to do things if it conflicts with an ask, it's not necessarily a commitment to do anything.

I don't subscribe at all to Disney can somehow reneg on a settlement agreement for the board failing to meet secret objectives that are not on paper with the public government.
"Concerning a federal court case Disney filed, which is currently on appeal, both parties will seek to defer briefing on the appeal while negotiating a new development agreement."

The above is from the front page article and I read that as Disney can walk away if they don't like what is put in front of them. In that case, there doesn't need to be any secret objectives on or off paper, they can back out for any reason at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Concerning a federal court case Disney filed, which is currently on appeal, both parties will seek to defer briefing on the appeal while negotiating a new development agreement."

The above is from the front page article and I read that as Disney can walk away if they don't like what is put in front of them. In that case, there doesn't need to be any secret objectives on or off paper, they can back out for any reason at all.
Ahhh…yes…that’s the bargaining chip. I hope it’s enough?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They did but new agreements are under negotiation with direct participation from Disney. I suspect the new board is going to seek some major commitments (DeSantis just hinted at them doing so regarding a 5th gate).
I’m sure Comcast loved that statement

But this could he manipulated well by Tallahassee if they see the potential…

“We’ll give you a direct transportation service from MCO to a spot of your choosing…what are you gonna build for out sales tax engine to burn?”

EPCOT-O.G.

I didn’t see anything in the bullet points indicating those agreements won’t be voided or challenged…it’s not there
  • The development agreement and restrictive covenants previously under lawsuit are to be considered null and void.
  • Disney will not challenge the district's view that certain comprehensive plans and land development regulations adopted in January of the previous year are invalid, recognizing the 2020 Comprehensive Plan as the current operative plan.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
TWDC had a sweet deal with Florida that both TWDC and RCID enjoyed for over 50 years.

That's gone now.

My hope is TWDC can move in and make WDW the best vacation location in the world.

Universal Orlando is building like mad and they never had any special deals.
Oh they get perks too…especially since Disney made a lot of insistences for kickbacks in the 90’s, 00’s

lazyboy97o

Which has no immediate results or protections.

tissandtully

So half us here KNEW this day would come and we KNEW it would end like this. The other half swore up and down that Disney had the legal and MORAL high ground and that their spectacularly powerful legal army would crush the State of Florida and make it regret the day it ever challenged Disney and it's RCID government.

RCID,...and the "self-dealing" way it was originally crafted, was a bad idea from day one and Florida rightfully changed it to a better and more "normal" special taxing district configuration.

I'm guessing the Disney and RCID financial investigations by the State Investigator General will also stop now? Or, will that part continue??

Yeah,...this ending is a ZERO surprise to half of us here.
lol it’s funny how people can contort themselves on this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom