“Something major” coming to DHS???

doctornick

The one thing I would agree with regarding Uni and Marvel would be if there ever is an agreement there, it would be for Uni to give up their exclusive rights East of the Mississippi as opposed to simply giving up the Marvel rights they have entirely. There is zero incentive for Uni to ever make an agreement that would obligate them to spend a crapload of money retheming that entire land (and, in particular, to get ride of Spider-Man which is a premier ride for the parks).

But getting Uni to allow Disney to use the Marvel name or to put in a Iron Man or Thor or Avengers, etc ride in WDW would be a much easier discussion if Disney can offer Comcast something they would want.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The one thing I would agree with regarding Uni and Marvel would be if there ever is an agreement there, it would be for Uni to give up their exclusive rights East of the Mississippi as opposed to simply giving up the Marvel rights they have entirely. There is zero incentive for Uni to ever make an agreement that would obligate them to spend a crapload of money retheming that entire land (and, in particular, to get ride of Spider-Man which is a premier ride for the parks).

But getting Uni to allow Disney to use the Marvel name or to put in a Iron Man or Thor or Avengers, etc ride in WDW would be a much easier discussion if Disney can offer Comcast something they would want.
Disney has already been giving Comcast something they want for the last few years, more guests visiting Universal Studios

Andrew25

Even if Universal got something in return... doubt they would be interested. The next few years will be a competition between both resorts for the number of days visiting, they don't want to incentivize guests to replace one of their days at the other place.

DisneyDodo

Agreed. I could see them doing some sort of character deal, where Uni gets rights to the MCU versions of certain characters in exchange for Disney getting rights to certain other characters that Uni is barely using anyway. Uni has the leverage here since Disney has more to gain so it would have to be a lopsided trade.

Disney wouldn’t need access to the entire MCU roster to build an Avengers Campus in Orlando. Adding say Black Panther, Iron Man, and Ant Man to the characters they can already use (GotG, Dr. Strange, Shang-Chi, etc.) would suffice.

JMcMahonEsq

They should of attacked next year with Epic opening… people might skipped Disney altogether and say let’s do a Universal vacation for a change… If Disney had big new offerings people might say as long as we are here let’s check out the great new Disney Attractions why we are here
That would make absolutely no sense. Universal opening up an entire new park is going to be the event of that year. Even if WDW is planning major upgrades to HS or AK, its not going to match what Universal is doing with Epic. It would make no sense to try and go head to head with Epic's opening. Anything new that is smaller than a brand new park is going to be lost in the Epic news cycle. Waiting until the initial marketing blitz wears off, and then hitting back with new features allows them to not get lost in the Epic noise, and to have their own shiny new things to see the following year(s)

Rosso11

They should of attacked next year with Epic opening… people might skipped Disney altogether and say let’s do a Universal vacation for a change… If Disney had big new offerings people might say as long as we are here let’s check out the great new Disney Attractions why we are here
I understand what you saying but that’s not how they have thought previously. When I worked for Disney it was drilled into my head Universal is not the enemy. It was other destinations outside of the Orlando area. If tourists came down for Universal there was a high probability that Disney would get some of their vacation as well. For a while when I was there it was when Vegas tried to go family friendly for that short time. Disney got nervous back then. The belief was that new attractions in the Orlando area, Disney or not, would continue to grow the pie as far as visitors. And up until this point that has held true. Just look at what a positive impact Harry Potter had on all of the Orlando area including Disney. Now with Universal’s third park the mentality is changing a bit. They know they can’t create more excitement than a new park so they are letting them have their moment and hoping for a boost from spill over. But then the gloves come off. Luckily for us theme park fans it’s the perfect storm. Big competition down the road and wall street finally seeing the value in expanding the parks and growth potential after years of them carrying the company. This is the reason a lot is being green lit right now and a good chuck of the money is going to Florida. So as long as WW3 doesn’t break out or another world wide pandemic there is good reason to finally be excited as a Disney World fan.

Tha Realest

Original Poster
A few thoughts re: TWDC’s ability to utilize the Marvel stuff east of the Mississippi:

1) Do we have any confidence they’d do so in a good way? Spider-Man is awful. Cosmic Rewind and Mission Breakout are good, but that pocket of the franchise has run its course and the creative minds (film side) behind them have moved on
2) Is Marvel a hot enough property now, or in the 3-5 years it’ll take for an attraction to come on board?
3) how have the rest of the Avengers campuses done in terms of boosting attendance?

JMcMahonEsq

A few thoughts re: TWDC’s ability to utilize the Marvel stuff east of the Mississippi:

2) Is Marvel a hot enough property now, or in the 3-5 years it’ll take for an attraction to come on board?
This to me is the very interesting question, though i think the time scale might be off a bit.

Growing up in the 80s/90s we watched as kids Mickey and the gang in their various forms and then the next generation of WDW classics like little mermaid/lion king, ect. Such when it became time to for our parents to take us to WDW, they had their own experiences with WDW and ours as youth watching WDW IP to be the draw to the park. The Sunday Disney nights and collective experience drove people to want to make the pilgrimage to Disney, and the shared expierence of getting to meet/see what you have been watching on TV/Movies re-enforced it.

Now fast forward a generation where we are parents with young kids. We, like am sure many on this board shared the same WDW movies we loved as kids with our kids, along with some new additions like Cars/Toy Story/Frozen, ect. So you have 3 generations, from grandparents to kids who have appeal to the traditional DW IP, 2 of which are the financial decision makers. Same thing applies to Star Wars to a degree. Grandma and Grandpa remember watching those movies with us, and they want to do the same with their grandkids. We remember what it felt like to hear "I am your father" and want to see our kids faces when they realize what is happening

3-5 years from now, the kids who grew up loving Marvel are going to be in their teens or mid 20's. Mostly too old to be driving "family" vacations with what they want, and too young to be decision makers/spending on vacations of their own given demographic shifts to families starting later in life, especially in higher income brackets. So I wonder are the Marvel movies going to have the generational staying power as to form a basis for why kids 10-15 years from now are going to want to go to WDW. Are we going as grandparents going to be having Marvel nights, and will our kids be excited to get the Avengers DVD (or streaming equivalent) to show to their kids for the first time. And I think for the likely cost of any major Marvel Aquisition, that's what your really looking for. Its not just for a re-skin or to build a new ride or two. If you're making the investment that Universal likely requires to get the rights west of the Mississippi, you're looking for something to take you into the next generation of guests.

Tha Realest

Original Poster
This to me is the very interesting question, though i think the time scale might be off a bit.

Growing up in the 80s/90s we watched as kids Mickey and the gang in their various forms and then the next generation of WDW classics like little mermaid/lion king, ect. Such when it became time to for our parents to take us to WDW, they had their own experiences with WDW and ours as youth watching WDW IP to be the draw to the park. The Sunday Disney nights and collective experience drove people to want to make the pilgrimage to Disney, and the shared expierence of getting to meet/see what you have been watching on TV/Movies re-enforced it.

Now fast forward a generation where we are parents with young kids. We, like am sure many on this board shared the same WDW movies we loved as kids with our kids, along with some new additions like Cars/Toy Story/Frozen, ect. So you have 3 generations, from grandparents to kids who have appeal to the traditional DW IP, 2 of which are the financial decision makers. Same thing applies to Star Wars to a degree. Grandma and Grandpa remember watching those movies with us, and they want to do the same with their grandkids. We remember what it felt like to hear "I am your father" and want to see our kids faces when they realize what is happening

3-5 years from now, the kids who grew up loving Marvel are going to be in their teens or mid 20's. Mostly too old to be driving "family" vacations with what they want, and too young to be decision makers/spending on vacations of their own given demographic shifts to families starting later in life, especially in higher income brackets. So I wonder are the Marvel movies going to have the generational staying power as to form a basis for why kids 10-15 years from now are going to want to go to WDW. Are we going as grandparents going to be having Marvel nights, and will our kids be excited to get the Avengers DVD (or streaming equivalent) to show to their kids for the first time. And I think for the likely cost of any major Marvel Aquisition, that's what your really looking for. Its not just for a re-skin or to build a new ride or two. If you're making the investment that Universal likely requires to get the rights west of the Mississippi, you're looking for something to take you into the next generation of guests.
Look, it’s been a wildly successful franchise. But End Game was 2019. While the Guardians rides aren’t “dated,” they don’t feel timeless. It’s likely the last time we ever see that composition of the team. Heck, even the current Avengers look substantially different now than they did a few years ago. I just don’t know how much a draw it will be (quality aside - that’ll be the big driver) 3-5 years from now, but also will it already feel dated 5-7 years into its life?

britain

Good observation about guardians, it makes me actually start to wonder if that’s why cosmic rewind was built with so much “generic future interior design” - so that in 25 years it can be replaced with different characters/story and still essentially be a variation on space mountain.

A hard-core guardians of the galaxy attraction would’ve had a whole lot more grime and an “oppressive” atmosphere.

Cosmic rewind is an Epcot roller coaster “featuring” the Guardians.

Gusey

With Joy moving to Pixar Plaza this Summer to promote Inside Out 2, and Pixar Plaza becoming a permanent land on the map, do you think there is a larger chance we might get a Pixar IP as the major announcement, or even a Pixar flat ride in Pixar Plaza??

Animaniac93-98

They know they can’t create more excitement than a new park so they are letting them have their moment and hoping for a boost from spill over. But then the gloves come off.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that Universal isn't going to stop adding stuff to their parks after 2025.

Any new additions to WDW in the second half of this decade will have to compete with whatever else Universal does.

Hopefully they realize whatever is green lit will top whatever Universal has yet to announce too, not just day one Epic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom