“Something major” coming to DHS???

MKeeler

What offer is Universal going to "have to accept to give up the Marvel rights?" The arguably most popular IP in the past what 10-12 years, not including the long-standing history of comics? Why in the name of Thor would Universal give that up?
The biggest question in this area is not what would cause Universal to completely relinquish the Marvel rights, but what would be necessary to give up the exclusive rights to Marvel east of the Mississippi.

As it stands, Universal is sort of in stasis with the Marvel section. They really can't add anything new (as Disney may be loathe to approve), but have to maintain what exists to keep their rights. And their attractions are based on four main categories: Hulk, X-men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man. Two of those segments should have major films coming in the next several years. Could Disney offer access to the film versions of those characters in exchange for the right to build Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc attractions in addition to what is at Universal?

That's a more interesting question that could reap benefits for both parties.

flyerjab

This very large project for Hollywood Studios I'm pretty confident has been greenlit for a bit at this point based on what I've heard. It's going to happen sooner rather than later (likely ahead of MK now).

AK happens first and that project is even larger in scope, with its phase two likely arriving after HWS gets its new land.
The rumor mill is making this sound like the 2010 years. New additions and expansions year over year for a decade. People are asking how can WDW compete with Universal? We might be on the verge of finding out.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Any info on when Disney will release this update? Any hints at theme? So intriguing why they would bump this ahead of MK. Really sad if all the villains talk comes to nothing…
Villains should still happen though the plans for the entire Beyond Big Thunder Expansion have changed a lot it's just that HWS needs capacity so desperately. I would expect infrastructure work decently ahead of the BBT's actual expansion, though.

I genuinely believe leadership finally understands what the parks need, and it's not that MK doesn't need the capacity too, but HWS is sort of in a league of its own. There's also the belief that Epic Universe will likely draw away the most from Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom while Magic Kingdom in particular but even EPCOT should likely be pretty stable given they both have unique draws. MK is "Disney" and EPCOT has World Showcase.

Imagineering is really ramping up right now and they have been for about a year now.

Animaniac93-98

Villains should still happen though the plans for the entire Beyond Big Thunder Expansion have changed a lot it's just that HWS needs capacity so desperately. I would expect infrastructure work decently ahead of the BBT's actual expansion, though.

I genuinely believe leadership finally understands what the parks need, and it's not that MK doesn't need the capacity too, but HWS is sort of in a league of its own. There's also the belief that Epic Universe will likely draw away the most from Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom while Magic Kingdom in particular but even EPCOT should likely be pretty stable given they both have unique draws. MK is "Disney" and EPCOT has World Showcase.

Imagineering is really ramping up right now and they have been for about a year now.

In the short term, closing things at AK will likely make it easier to deem skippable for some.

If Epic hurts any WDW park, it's AK. DHS still has Star Wars and ToT.

RSoxNo1

1) The clue is in the name RocknRoller Coaster ... Taylor Swift is not rock and roll
2) If Disney hadn't sold the Queen library of songs would of been a good replacement
3) RNRC should be perhaps removed and link it with whatever they have in mind for Animation Courtyard.
I think you're simplifying this.

You have a Roller Coaster with on board audio, a retheme doesn't need to have the same story conceit. If it does, it can still carry with it a new name. That being said, "Rock n Roller Coaster, Taylor's Version" is a little on the nose here.

What's more likely though is eliminating the story conceit entirely and just take advantage of the existence of a roller coaster with on board audio. They've rethemed the Paris version to an Iron Man coaster, nearly anything else can be on the table. It's probably contingent on what else they intend to build around it. That area is adjacent to a logical expansion / retheme of the Animation Courtyard area.

I agree that they could also just completely demo the coaster. I know the recent lengthy refurbs have been designed to extend the useful life of a problematic attraction, but the conclusion might be that they're throwing good money at a bad, dated, attraction. It might be best to simply start over.

BrianLo

well id argue that marvel not being owned by universal doesnt really make sense to have them in their parks...same with simpsons. Eventually they will wanna retheme those areas to something they own i would think.

You do realize their parks are over 50% licensed and they are continuing to lean hard into licensing? There’s weirdness about the property belonging to their direct competitor, but they aren’t shy about licensing. Of their next 7 lands, one is original, two are licensed, two are owned IP. After epic: 1 is licensed replacing a license and 1 is licensed replacing an original. The net gain is still 50% licensed.

Rosso11

It's what I don't get. It took them this long to finally see Epic Universe might take attendance away and that they should add new attractions.
They’ve always known. But their strategy was never to go head to head opening year. If Epic brings more tourists to Orlando in 2025 and 26 that’s great and it will hopefully lift everyone. That’s their mentality. But they know when things start to settle that’s when they need to launch their counter attack.

Ayla

They’ve always known. But their strategy was never to go head to head opening year. If Epic brings more tourists to Orlando in 2025 and 26 that’s great and it will hopefully lift everyone. That’s their mentality. But they know when things start to settle that’s when they need to launch their counter attack.
The counter attack should have started within weeks of EU being announced. Now they are playing catch up.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
1) The clue is in the name RocknRoller Coaster ... Taylor Swift is not rock and roll
2) If Disney hadn't sold the Queen library of songs would of been a good replacement
3) RNRC should be perhaps removed and link it with whatever they have in mind for Animation Courtyard.

Here is my partially sarcastic, partially serious list of potential names they could rename RnRC based off of Taylor Swift themes (mostly song names)
  • Taylor Swift's Bejeweler Coaster
  • "Superstar" Limo
  • "The Bolter"
  • "(Inappropriate Name for Someone Who Sleeps Around that the censor won't allow me to type)!": the Ride
Bonus Round... when the queue is >2 hours long, they will just play the song "Tolerate It" in the queue...

Parker41056

I don’t think Disney has anything as lucrative as Marvel. I believe they tried to get the theme park rights with Hulu, but they were thwarted there. I unfortunately think GOTG is the last we’ll see of the MCU at Disney for the time being (unless they decide to use more characters that aren’t included in that contract).
IDK. From what I understand, Universal can not add or even update the land without approval from Disney going forward. Disney would play hard ball and block any Marvel upgrades or enhancements. At some point the area will look dated and will be an eye sore for Universal. I still think that Universal has the leverage as of now as they know exactly what Disney will do with the Florida Marvel rights. Disney will incorporate characters, shows, and attractions that could hurt Universal volume. However, Universal could rebrand their current Marvel area into something fresher to attract guests as well. I heard a rumor about DC and Gotham City at one point.

At any rate, their does come a break point and rather than waiting until the rides must be retried, Universal could look at a way to get something in return from Disney such as IP. Disney has some more mature IP that Universal could possibly capitalize on. Alien and Planet of the Apes come to mind. Both could have attractions and even be used at HHN. Maybe their is a cash value to get the right back. A deal needs to happen on this.

lazyboy97o

IDK. From what I understand, Universal can not add or even update the land without approval from Disney going forward. Disney would play hard ball and block any Marvel upgrades or enhancements.
Marvel has reasonable approval. They can’t do what you describe. So long as they are following the style guides then Universal is to be granted approval. Disney tried to look into going after Universal for not operating the area well and abandoned those efforts.

DKampy

They should of attacked next year with Epic opening… people might skipped Disney altogether and say let’s do a Universal vacation for a change… If Disney had big new offerings people might say as long as we are here let’s check out the great new Disney Attractions why we are here

Parker41056

The biggest question in this area is not what would cause Universal to completely relinquish the Marvel rights, but what would be necessary to give up the exclusive rights to Marvel east of the Mississippi.

As it stands, Universal is sort of in stasis with the Marvel section. They really can't add anything new (as Disney may be loathe to approve), but have to maintain what exists to keep their rights. And their attractions are based on four main categories: Hulk, X-men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man. Two of those segments should have major films coming in the next several years. Could Disney offer access to the film versions of those characters in exchange for the right to build Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc attractions in addition to what is at Universal?

That's a more interesting question that could reap benefits for both parties.
There is a break point for both parties on this idea. Disney will play hard ball and not allow for any additions or enhancements to these existing attractions . Universal will at some point will discover that the area, attractions is dated and needs a refresh. I think their their is a cash value or IP value that would intrigue Universal. I wonder if some of the more mature FOX properties now owned by Disney would entice Universal. IP such as Alien or Planet of the Apes could have great attractions and become great additions to HHN. Or maybe Disney pays Universal some money and then Universal used that to buy rights to DC and create a Gotham City area with Batman. Lot's of possibilities. Of course if you are Universal, you know that giving up the rights what Disney will do. They will create shows, meet and greets, and attractions that could take visitors away from your parks. It's all about the breaking point.

pdude81

There is a break point for both parties on this idea. Disney will play hard ball and not allow for any additions or enhancements to these existing attractions . Universal will at some point will discover that the area, attractions is dated and needs a refresh. I think their their is a cash value or IP value that would intrigue Universal. I wonder if some of the more mature FOX properties now owned by Disney would entice Universal. IP such as Alien or Planet of the Apes could have great attractions and become great additions to HHN. Or maybe Disney pays Universal some money and then Universal used that to buy rights to DC and create a Gotham City area with Batman. Lot's of possibilities. Of course if you are Universal, you know that giving up the rights what Disney will do. They will create shows, meet and greets, and attractions that could take visitors away from your parks. It's all about the breaking point.
I thought DC was locked up with Six Flags decades ago. Not sure on the exclusivity though.

JoeCamel

I don't think the company using 70 yo toons in another part of the same park thinks Marvel is getting dated.
You spin a fantasy but as long as there is memory in Comcast about past dealings they have no desire or need to revert the rights they enjoy. Remember Disney gets a good cut of the merch along with the lease so the mouse gets his

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom