D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

BrianLo

In my estimation, Marvel is now part of Disney. 21st Century Fox is now part of Disney. I don't see how doing the same thing for Marvel or Fox after Disney bought them is different than doing things for Marvel or Fox before Disney bought them. Otherwise employees would not be eligible for any recognition by the company because the former corporate overlords have cast them aside. Also IMO there is a reasonable argument to be made on both sides of this debate.

I think that’s a perfect way of summing it up. I know people have their weird hang ups on what constitutes “Disney”.

But it’s a bad look for your company to draw a line in the sand and not treat their divisions as starting at timepoint zero in acquisition.

This years crew are mostly ‘legends’ of their fields, in some Avenue Disney now owns and that matters a lot more. The seal on actors, animators, voice actors, P&R, TV personalities etc was all broken decades ago when the award was ‘pure’. It’s actually much, much harder to get by people in those original divisions anyways nowadays. One could argue the original award was over given out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney Legends these days:

Oprah You Get A Car GIF by Governor of Poker 3
Yeah…it’s not a hall fame
If everyone gets in.

I think they waterskied with the sharks when Carrie fisher was let in

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In my estimation, Marvel is now part of Disney. 21st Century Fox is now part of Disney. I don't see how doing the same thing for Marvel or Fox after Disney bought them is different than doing things for Marvel or Fox before Disney bought them. Otherwise employees would not be eligible for any recognition by the company because the former corporate overlords have cast them aside. Also IMO there is a reasonable argument to be made on both sides of this debate.
It should be for enhancement under Disneys watch

So we gonna let Bruce Willis in for Nakatomi?

BrianLo

It goes back to the idea of making everything bigger and better. For the first time, we’re actually using the entire show floor at Anaheim Convention Center in the main building; Halls A–D will be show floor pavilions, which meant we ran out of room for shopping. So, we actually had to move the shopping experience over to the North Hall, right across the sidewalk from the main building. It’s going to be called World of Disney: The Product Experience. It’s the shopping destination. The D23 Marketplace will be there, along with Disney Publishing, Disney Store, and many other Disney brands and partners, as well as the new The Walt Disney Company Store. We’re also bringing back the virtual queue for shopping, which is always popular with fans who want to maximize their time at the event.

Wow, the show floor sounds gigantic. I was already wondering what would happen to hall D… but they are enveloping it AND still moving shopping out?

This really sounds like an evolution of the convention. The other quote that validated for me was his comments about turning the legends ceremony into more of a production than it was. I’m still surmising Experiences is going to need something similar, get ready for more literal song and dance for the home watchers.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
How many others initially read

"Why D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event Will Be More Expensive and More Immersive Than Ever"​

You can also probably thank Nelson Peltz for making Bob Iger overcompensate on this.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney owns Avatar, therefore Cameron is a Disney Legend.
Disney owns Marvel, therefore Steve Ditko is a Disney Legend.
Disney owns Star Wars/Indiana Jones, therefore Harrison Ford is a Disney Legend.

It's not that hard people.

Cameron is a legendary director, but he is not a Disney Legend. He became part of Disney only when they bought something he had previously done.

I think they need to come up with a different name for honoring these these typed of people.

BrianLo

He became part of Disney only when they bought something he had previously done.

Correction, He became part of Disney in 2011 when they licensed Avatar for Animal Kingdom.

I think the easy way of looking at it is, has this person had a major impact on the company Corporate Disney is today? It’s hard to deny James Cameron hasn’t. There’s a lot tied into his franchise. And I fully suspect why this year he is being named is because Iger was able to get him to attend and he’ll be on stage three days in a row for the movies panel, the parks panel (Disneyland) and then his award.

Would he be even more deserving In a decade after avatar 3/4? Perhaps.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Cameron is a legendary director, but he is not a Disney Legend. He became part of Disney only when they bought something he had previously done.

I think they need to come up with a different name for honoring these these typed of people.
Acquired Legends

Sort of like how some associated with the SEC retroactively claims NC’s in football by some member schools that occurred prior to them joining the SEC

1710883781637.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney licensed the distribution, streaming, and theme park rights to Avatar. The IP is owned by Cameron and Lightstorm (Cameron's production company).
Hell…MGM had a a teenage mutant ninja turtles show once…

So next year- make Michelangelo a Disney legend!

He can bring pizza…

As a matter of fact - make pizza a disney legend too! Papa John can get a plaque…then we can kill him with pinocchios 🍕

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Acquired Legends

Sort of like how some associated with the SEC retroactively claims NC’s in football by some member schools that occurred prior to them joining the SEC

View attachment 773814
Yikes…laying claims to the Big 8??

That will be like when notre dame gets desperate (shortly after all their fans are dead), joins the big 10 and they claim all those titles they won 114 years ago (when their fans were alive)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom