D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—Coming to Anaheim Next August

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
James Cameron has done so much for the film industry period. He absolutely deserves the award.

Harrison Ford‘s body of work speaks for itself. Beyond that like it or not Avatar and Star Wars are huge for Disney and they are instrumental in bringing in billions of dollars for the company.

I thought this was for DISNEY Legends, not Entertainment Industry Legends. Cameron has made one movie after the Fox purchase. Steve Ditko is another example. Never did a thing for Disney, why is he there?

Mouse3268

James Cameron has done so much for the film industry period. He absolutely deserves the award.

Harrison Ford‘s body of work speaks for itself. Beyond that like it or not Avatar and Star Wars are huge for Disney and they are instrumental in bringing in billions of dollars for the company.

I laugh every time they do these people people don't get that Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel, Pixar, Avatar and Fox are now Disney, therefore the work they did for those properties now makes them eligible to be Disney Legends.

Mouse3268

I thought this was for DISNEY Legends, not Entertainment Industry Legends. Cameron has made one movie after the Fox purchase. Steve Ditko is another example. Never did a thing for Disney, why is he there?
Disney owns Avatar, therefore Cameron is a Disney Legend.
Disney owns Marvel, therefore Steve Ditko is a Disney Legend.
Disney owns Star Wars/Indiana Jones, therefore Harrison Ford is a Disney Legend.

It's not that hard people.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney owns Avatar, therefore Cameron is a Disney Legend.
Disney owns Marvel, therefore Steve Ditko is a Disney Legend.
Disney owns Star Wars/Indiana Jones, therefore Harrison Ford is a Disney Legend.

It's not that hard people.
Apparently having standards is hard.

BrianLo

I just don't get it. Pay hundreds of dollars to be in a room where some executive wearing khakis announces some shops and ride rethemes?

You can even watch it free online. Is there some magic to being in the room when the khakis man tells you about a new food item?

I guess there is an audience for this but no thanks.

As I said earlier in the thread, the movies panel absolutely. It’s a veritable showcase of stars (if that floats one’s boat), announcements and exclusive movie content and peaks that can often predate public releases by upwards of 18 months. If that’s your fandom, there’s quite a lot of value there. A lot of the meat of it doesn’t go online. Wrapping animation in to this years means it’s probably going to be a very long (?4 hour) panel.

Legends is poor man’s Oscar’s, but open to the public. There is some reasonable star power. Again, that’s some peoples thing.

The point is met perfectly on the parks panel. They’ve got their work cut out for them. Maybe we’ll see some recognized named stars sing. Maybe the entire panel will be hosted by Olivia?

BrianLo

James Cameron also worked on Pandora, to be fair. He dips into both Studios and P&R.

But yes, the award always extends beyond the clout of their immediate breadth of work for the company. It’s always been that way. What’s the purpose of complaining about it every two years unless we go back and strip past recipients.

I mean, regardless these people are ‘legends’. Does it actually strip the company men and women who earn the awards of the validity? If anything I’d think it more meaningful to have a lifetime achievement award that was given to Harrison Ford and James Cameron as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
James Cameron also worked on Pandora, to be fair. He dips into both Studios and P&R.

But yes, the award always extends beyond the clout of their immediate breadth of work for the company. It’s always been that way. What’s the purpose of complaining about it every two years unless we go back and strip past recipients.

I mean, regardless these people are ‘legends’. Does it actually strip the company men and women who earn the awards of the validity? If anything I’d think it more meaningful to have a lifetime achievement award that was given to Harrison Ford and James Cameron as well.

Disney Legends these days:

Oprah You Get A Car GIF by Governor of Poker 3

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It doesn't matter he created properties now owned by Disney, therefore a Disney Legend.

Being a Disney Legend used to mean you had a body of work for The Walt Disney Company, not companies that they have bought, not in the entertainment industry as a whole, etc. Now, apparently just being someone with a connection to Disney is enough to warrant "Legend" status.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surferboy567

Getting back to why we are actually here…

I‘d be remissed to not mention this from Blog Mickey. I’m a huge Kingdom Hearts fan as my profile indicates I am feeling confident it will be present in the experiences panel.

Side Note: Reading this it seems like the Honda Center is combined panels

Disney Entertainment:

Animation
Live Action (Marvel, Star Wars and Avatar)

Experiences:

Parks
DCL
Gaming
Products

These all used to be seperate panels now combined to be one large panel.

pdude81

In my estimation, Marvel is now part of Disney. 21st Century Fox is now part of Disney. I don't see how doing the same thing for Marvel or Fox after Disney bought them is different than doing things for Marvel or Fox before Disney bought them. Otherwise employees would not be eligible for any recognition by the company because the former corporate overlords have cast them aside. Also IMO there is a reasonable argument to be made on both sides of this debate.

BrianLo

Disney Legends these days:

Oprah You Get A Car GIF by Governor of Poker 3

You’d be surprised. Shockingly few actors have received it. Sometimes there is a theme with the awards, which dates back to its origins. One year it was only given to P&R and mostly Disneyland related in honour of Disneyland’s anniversary.

Carrie and Mark Hamill both received it, so it’s a bit funny that Harrison Ford hadn’t. All of them have been tied to the company since Star Tours. Harrison Ford is going to die eventually… I think they’d like to give it to him before that happens.

Marvel - only Robert Downey Jr and post humously Chadwick Boseman. If it was just given out like Candy, I’d expect a lot more MCU actors by now.

Yes, maybe James Cameron is mildly premature, if there is such a thing, but he was working with Iger a decade ago. And more importantly they are rolling out the imagineer he worked with. I’d go so far to say John Landau should have also received it this year.

This is a made up corporately given award, of course they are corporately minded. Seriously…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom