News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

Epcot81Fan

They had no budget. No one was saving that.
“He didn’t have an enormous budget!”
“Management made him do it!”
“Somebody else approved his terrible design!”
“It’s an overlay, what can you expect?!”

These excuses for Rhode’s terrible creative output are hysterical.

Can’t wait for:

“The sun was in his eyes!”
“The dog ate his homework!”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

great video from @WDW Pro

LOL

1710133371452.png

1710133442608.png

MerlinTheGoat

Yes I know…Eisner threw some cheap parks together…2 of which contractually or politically obligated…I’ve heard the horror story…in addition to living it.

But now we have 20 years of the short guy and the parks are in just as bad of shape across the board…

So Saint Joe is the answer?
Maybe
I don't get what you're saying. You actually think Rohde is responsible for the pitiful state the parks are in? This is the same guy who has been a constant and loud voice in attempting to convince Disney to fix the yeti, and they have ignored him. It has been confirmed outright that it's because the executives refuse to pay for it. The idea that he has any control over the sort of stuff you're blaming him for is absurd.

Every single one of those things is true.

Seriously, where did all of this deranged hatred for this guy come from? When given a proper budget and allowed to do what he wants, the results are generally fantastic.

Last edited:

MrPromey

You should watch the featurette about the “research” for Everest

It was a cortège of about 50 people slogging through the Khartoum airport

Things didn’t go the way you’re making them out to have gone. Projects became jobs programs instead of capital construction…which isn’t “the way”
I think the thing with Rhode is, you can't expect him to be the driving force behind every "great" project.

For a park like AK where there is was a strong focus on an authentic environment emulating real places that exist in the world that most people will never see in person, his work is like that of someone creating an experiential documentary.

We'll never visit the real places or feel what it's like to be there so he does his best to soak it all up and give you as close to what you're missing as he can - not just surface-level but really as close to what you'll never get to see or hear or touch in person as he can.

That would probably be excellent for World Showcase or whatever the f#$% we're supposed to call that, now.

It worked for Pandora because James Cameron in his movies treated that moon like it was a real place that exists that most of us will never get to visit, too.

Frankly, Cameron puts more work into making that place real than he does the actual stories and dialog happening in it when he makes these movies.

Star Wars?

Joe probably could have done something pretty spectacular that would have really pleased the people that treat that lore like gospel, too. I'm sure it would have felt a lot less like a back-lot with disjointed static set pieces once completed, anyway.

But you can't have a guy like that who is slow and expensive and wants to become one with the source material before breaking ground on a project in charge of it all.

You need other people who can also do great work who are faster and know how to do more with fewer resources to do things, too.

Joe Rohde was basically like the James Cameron of Imagineers.

James' stuff brings in boatloads of money and gets tons of attention but it takes him ten years to make a movie and the budgets of his last three films were enough to end a lot of careers if they didn't do mind-bogglingly well.

If the industry was just people like him, every theater chain and most of Hollywood would have gone bankrupt decades ago.

You need people that can do their own kind of great work on shorter timelines with controlled budgets. Maybe their stuff isn't as grand in the end but it can still be amazing and enjoyable and leave an impression.

Those are the people you want handling Marvel and MK like-stuff and filling in the spaces between the icons someone like Joe births.

You need people that can take a Chester and Hester budget and end up with something that... isn't Chester and Hester - someone like the Robert Rodriguez of Imagineering and probably three or four of them for every James Cameron type; people who know how to pick out appealing floor tile and complementary colors but don't act like they're doing God's work trying to impersonate Joe while being the third or fourth person to redesign an area that in a decade or two will probably be repainted and re-tiled yet again with something different.

To wrap up my Ted Talk, I don't think Joe is the savior a lot of people are acting like he would be. I think losing him was bad but I think he became the only strong creative face of Imagineering left by the time of his departure and that was also bad.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him come back but it's not like that's going to solve all the problems. Imagineering was already a huge mess long before he left and I think his style of doing things becoming sort of the only way, unless they were putting together complete throwaway crap intentionally in some cases*, was part of that problem.

*Because they don't know how to do fast-and-good so they'd settle for kind-of-fast and mediocre when they needed something more quickly.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"

Can’t wait for:

“The sun was in his eyes!”
“The dog ate his homework!”
See below. The reality is all Chester and Hester’s was going to get were two off-the-shelf carnival rides and basically no theming. Any theme chosen would’ve been like Six Flags slapping Batman on a coaster and calling it a theme because the budget was that low. Every single other project Rhode has worked on that has had a real budget has been masterful. He hasn’t had one actual miss with that important context.

Joe Rhode was the best thing to happen to Imagineering since Tony Baxter.
DAK had its budget slashed massively multiple times throughout the early 90s by the executive leadership. I would not blame any of its shortcomings on Rohde, who had far more impressive intentions for the park before these cuts occurred. If you want to point fingers, point them towards figureheads such as Michael Eisner (and the strategic planning people who were growing in power at the time) who slashed the hell out of everything following the financial failures of Disneyland Paris.

It's a miracle that AK turned out as good as it did, given the mess the parks division was being put through at the time thanks to idiots at the executive level (including the firing of a ton of talent, canning of other impressive projects, and massive budget cuts across the board). For comparison, look at the following three theme parks built under Eisner's watch (outside of Tokyo Disneysea, which wasn't budget constrained and was something Frank Wells was pushing hard for prior to his death). Studios Paris, California Adventure and Hong Kong Disneyland. Rohde did the best he could with the bad hand he was dealt, and he still managed to create something really special. Albeit not without glaring flaws beyond his power to fix.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't get what you're saying. You actually think Rohde is responsible for the pitiful state the parks are in? This is the same guy who has been a constant and loud voice in attempting to convince Disney to fix the yeti, and they have ignored him. It has been confirmed outright that it's because the executives refuse to pay for it. The idea that he has any control over the sort of stuff you're blaming him for is absurd.
I’m Not blaming him for most of that stuff

I just am really tired of the “Eisner built cheap parks” showing up out of he cornfield anytime it’s convenient. That had nothing to do with anything here and now.

If you let a dictator do what they want unchecked for 20 years…they’ll make horrid mistakes.

Hell…they may run the whole place into the ground and look like a fool?

Past seems to be prologue.

pdude81

It’s the same folks who also felt D’Amaro was “just following orders” implementing Chapek-era changes to the Parks, and is still powerless to change anything under Iger 🤣
I think the title of this thread indicates that things are changing in Parks and Resorts with Chapek gone.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think the title of this thread indicates that things are changing in Parks and Resorts with Chapek gone.
Bob just implemented all the things Bob wanted to implement but never had the testicular fortitude to do because of his concern for his ego and legacy. Now Bob is continuing to do the things he wanted to do that Bob started and thinking he can just blame the bad things on Bob.

doctornick

I'm going to have to pour one out for Joe at Lighthouse Point later this year and wonder what could have been.

He probably had some degree of influence on Lighthouse Point, no? I feel like he was "on" the project for a bit before he left the company and it wasn't like Lighthouse Point was something thrown together quickly - it has been in development for an extended period.

I haven't really followed it closely, but what do we know about the details regarding Lighthouse point? I guess I need to wonder over to the DCL forum sometime to see if there is info there.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
He probably had some degree of influence on Lighthouse Point, no? I feel like he was "on" the project for a bit before he left the company and it wasn't like Lighthouse Point was something thrown together quickly - it has been in development for an extended period.

I haven't really followed it closely, but what do we know about the details regarding Lighthouse point? I guess I need to wonder over to the DCL forum sometime to see if there is info there.
I'd recommend perusing the DisneyCruiseLineBlog for more info. Scott has covered its development rather well there.

pdude81

It was announced with some fanfare that Joe was going to lead this project, but then he "retired" during Covid to take another pie in the sky job at Virgin. I took it as the budget for his project was slashed and he wouldn't put his name on it, but it could have well just been that Chapek wanted his people running things differently and he was canned.

Lilofan

It was announced with some fanfare that Joe was going to lead this project, but then he "retired" during Covid to take another pie in the sky job at Virgin. I took it as the budget for his project was slashed and he wouldn't put his name on it, but it could have well just been that Chapek wanted his people running things differently and he was canned.
And some of the execs that Chapek hired or promoted are no longer with the company after Iger came back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom