Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

I’m talking to you as a fan. To us as fans. Usually in this forum, Disney is taken to task when it appears to be putting profit over theme. Why, then, are so many here annoyed that Tiana is dressed as she ought to be in the bayou? Since when has any of us wanted Disney to be led by “the ability to move merchandise” when designing and theming its attractions?

Not sure about others, but it's never been about the merch for me. Of course it makes more sense for Tiana to be in her adventure outfit considering the setting and backstory for the ride. Of course the reason for this in the first place is because it's "problematic" for her to be a frog. The issue I have is that the AA/ character with the short hair is just one more element that's not resembling the movie. If they had been marketing an adventurous journey through the Bayou with all the familiar songs and and an encounter with Facilier, Adventure Tiana wouldn't bother me. Well, except for the fact that I don't think it looks like her. It's just one more deviation and it becomes bothersome when you're smart enough to realize why these deviations exist in the first place. Especially when in IMO, they are not making the ride better and not allowing it to live up to its full potential. A ride based on PatF could have made for a fantastic ride. The IP is the most suitable replacement for Splash Mountain IMO. At least at Disneyland. Had the potential to be a great spiritual successor. Still does but not to the level it would have had they followed the story from the movie.

Anyway I’m sure we’ll see some form of Princess Tiana in the finale. I’m not convinced she’ll be in her signature green dress though. The imagineers are just overthinking this whole thing. Again…for “reasons” in some cases but I think there are better solutions. Just like you know a better solution existed for the old POTC auction scene. Surely, we can do better than Pirates auctioning chickens.

Last edited:

celluloid

As I suspected, you have misunderstood me. I’m asking how we as fans feel about Disney prioritising profit over theme, not whether the company itself wants to make money (which of course it does). I really can’t be any clearer than I’ve been, but since you’re unable or unwilling to get past viewing my question as “silly” (which, frankly, is the word I’d use to describe your Burger King vs. McDonald’s analogy), I’m going to move on from our exchange.

Cool. Keep in mind you asked what others think and consider. You just don't like the responses you get.

LittleBuford

It's just one more deviation and it becomes bothersome when you're smart enough to realize why these deviations exist in the first place.
I mean, I could already tell all this complaining about the absence of the dress doesn’t actually have anything to do with the outfit itself. It’s just the latest thing people are using to express their discontent.

J4546

A ride has a relation of the land it is in, otherwise, it has no point being a theme park. Particularly the one that was once seen as establishing the highest standard. For your second part of the post, see above.

A 1930s lady marrying a prince is no further or closer to the Frontier than a 1930s-40s pith helmet wearing adventurer.
One has a dress. One is wearing adventurer gear. Both form New Orleans in the 1930s.

Again, that is like BK and Mcy D's arguing which is a steakhouse.
this is the DL thread, not the MK thread. TBA fits in DL quite nicely as a new orleans bayou themed ride on the edge of New Orleans square

celluloid

this is the DL thread, not the MK thread. TBA fits in DL quite nicely as a new orleans bayou themed ride on the edge of New Orleans square
That makes it worse. It is in a land next to the one it should be in. Yes, it is less clearly less egregious than WDW.
Still off as it is yet to be decided what changes the Critter Country area will face.

And while it is a DL thread, the same attraction changes are being made to what is going into WDW. So naturally, there is some crossover.

J4546

That makes it worse. It is in a land next to the one it should be in. Yes, it is less clearly less egregious than WDW.
Still off as it is yet to be decided what changes the Critter Country area will face.

And while it is a DL thread, the same attraction changes are being made to what is going into WDW. So naturally, there is some crossover.
you say this makes it worse then imediately it is less egregious than wdw......which is it lol? I just disagree with you I guess, I think having TBA where it is in DL is a great fit and perfect transition going from NOS to CC

celluloid

you say this makes it worse then imediately it is less egregious than wdw......which is it lol? I just disagree with you I guess, I think having TBA where it is in DL is a great fit and perfect transition going from NOS to CC

It makes the concept of her place setting at DL worse than what was there in Critter Country Prior as a different land when Tiana belonged in New Orleans that happens to be a different land in same park.
Now it is something that should go into the land next to it. Notice I say what is to be done to Critter Country remains to be seen.

Yes, it is less egregious than WDW's Frontierland situation. That should be clear to see.

I agree as a piece of transition of place it could work. A jump of time that was not there before that is not a big deal and could transition land quite nicely if they care to. No disagreement there.

And it is also fine to disagree. What is not good territory is to keep hounding someone who has already explained their stance and justified multiple times as another poster than you has done rather than just disagreeing.

mickEblu

It makes the concept of her place setting at DL worse than what was there in Critter Country Prior as a different land when Tiana belonged in New Orleans that happens to be a different land in same park.
Now it is something that should go into the land next to it. Notice I say what is to be done to Critter Country remains to be seen.

Yes, it is less egregious than WDW's Frontierland situation. That should be clear to see.

I agree as a piece of transition of place it could work. A jump of time that was not there before that is not a big deal and could transition land quite nicely if they care to. No disagreement there.

And it is also fine to disagree. What is not good territory is to keep hounding someone who has already explained their stance and justified multiple times as another poster than you has done rather than just disagreeing.

You can still see the Critter Country sign standing and the Mark Twain has a spiel about TBA being in CC. The land is going to stay as Critter Country which I’m happy about. Expanding NOS would have created more problems than it solved. IMO there is no problem as the “country” is vague enough and the ride ends in New Orleans. It doesn’t start there. Her “main offices” 🙄 could be just out of the city in the country somewhere.

Last edited:

BrianLo

On my personal list of Disneyland grievances, a Bayou ride full of critters existing as a bridge between a New Orleans land and Critter Country is about 1000 pages down.

Now in terms of what happens long term, there is expansion space technically around and behind Pooh. Whether that would go to Galaxy's Edge or Pooh would yield a better replacement... or simply sit unchanged for decades is my best guess.

Though I really take no issue with having a nice walk on ride (Pooh) being wedged in where it is.

Professortango1

Still fits the theme of the area. Having a Lousiana Bayou based ride on the edge of New Orleans square is about as fitting as you can get.
Is it set in the Bayou? I thought it was set inside a Salt Dome 3 hours away from New Orleans. And, funnily enough, Avery Island's Salt Dome isn't a mountain, its simply a large flat elevation change.
Averyislanddistance_(8)SMALL.jpg

There's no peaks really. So it must be set even further away.

The highest "mountain" in Louisiana is Driskill Mountain and that's only a 2-mile hike to the top. That's located about 5 hours north of New Orleans and isn't in the Bayou.

J4546

New Orleans and the bayou and salt domes are within a couple hours of each other so I dont think its a massive leap to imagine them next to each other

Imagine using that logic for lets say JC and IJ. the jungle cruise takes place on the amazon river, and indiana jones takes place in like bangledesh....2 rides that take place 1000s of miles apart but are right beside each other. They still thematically blend together very well so it works....same with TBA and NOS

Professortango1

New Orleans square and the bayou are within a couple hours of each other so I dont think its a massive leap to imagine them next to each other

Imagine using that logic for lets say JC and IJ. the jungle cruise takes place on the amazon river, and indiana jones takes place in like bangledesh....2 rides that take place 1000s of miles apart but are right beside each other. They still thematically blend together very well so it works....same with TBA and NOS
Except Adventureland isn't India-Land. Or Amazon-Land. It is Adventureland and themed to all of the exotic jungles. New Orleans Square is themed to a specific city.

I'm okay with Bayou being included in NOS since it is part of the culture and experience. But mountainous salt mines....nah. That's not a part of New Orleans. Or even a thing in Lousanna itself. That's like having Hollywoodland have a ride themed to the Salton Sea. And having the Salton Sea ride set snow-capped mountain.

LittleBuford

Except Adventureland isn't India-Land. Or Amazon-Land. It is Adventureland and themed to all of the exotic jungles. New Orleans Square is themed to a specific city.

I'm okay with Bayou being included in NOS since it is part of the culture and experience. But mountainous salt mines....nah. That's not a part of New Orleans. Or even a thing in Lousanna itself. That's like having Hollywoodland have a ride themed to the Salton Sea. And having the Salton Sea ride set snow-capped mountain.
I think keeping it separate from but adjacent to New Orleans Square gets around the issue nicely.

Professortango1

I think people on here are going to complain about any little thing they can find as it relates to this attraction.

Best to just leave it alone, and let the ride speak for itself when it opens. I am sure some on here will hate it, even if it is well done.
If it is well done, I will have complex feelings about it since Splash was my favourite ride since I was a child. But if it is well done, I will also appreciate them knocking it out of the park. I love HM and really enjoyed HMH. While I miss aspects of Test Track 1.0, I do really enjoy 2.0 as a whole a lot more.

The problem is...with the ride opening ahead of schedule and Disney's recent track record with rethemed attractions (Frozen, Mission BO, Incredicoaster, Stormrider, Star Tours, Journey into Imagination, Snow White)....I'm expecting mediocrity. I'd love to be wrong, though.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Actually, the majority of the ride is set in a bayou well outside the city. It is in that context that I think an adventurer’s outfit makes more thematic sense than a royal ball gown. I’m surprised so many here seem to feel otherwise.
Which proves the point of how ridiculous the attraction theme is. A princess dressing up in an adventurer's outfit going to a salt mine looking for cooking ingredients.

She'll surely be a Princess or a party girl in the finale.

Have we stopped wondering what's gonna happen to Winnie the Pooh? Would be cute if they just started calling it Critter Corner, or Pooh Corner.
L
There are animatics of the finale online. Everyone will be standing around Tiana's home dancing and singing that they finally found the missing ingredient to her recipe. Fun.
Still fits the theme of the area. Having a Lousiana Bayou based ride on the edge of New Orleans square is about as fitting as you can get.
Isn't the attraction set in a........checks notes again........salt mine?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom