Rumors. Musings. Casual.

DisneyHead123

I think the problem with The Simpsons is that it fails the “Transport Me!” test, in much the same way Dinoland did. Is the Simpsons as a show fun? Absolutely. Do I think people stuck at work on a Monday morning dream of being transported away from it all to Springfield? Not at all. I think the park and resort themes that work, work not because they are popular as IP, but because they are places people would love to be mentally transported to. Be it New Orleans or Hogwarts or a vintage Americana landscape or an African port village. Springfield is a fun place to watch, not a fun place to be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the problem with The Simpsons is that it fails the “Transport Me!” test, in much the same way Dinoland did. Is the Simpsons as a show fun? Absolutely. Do I think people stuck at work on a Monday morning dream of being transported away from it all to Springfield? Not at all. I think the park and resort themes that work, work not because they are popular as IP, but because they are places people would love to be mentally transported to. Be it New Orleans or Hogwarts or a vintage Americana landscape or an African port village. Springfield is a fun place to watch, not a fun place to be.
Excellent

And not to mention Seinfeld twice in a thread…
But we all laughed at George and Kramer…none of us ever wanted to BE them.

I think Homer qualifies

JD80

I'm ignorant of who pheneix, but do we automatically take his word that he knows what's coming out of the CEOs office after he posted a giant thread where he mocked himself about all his bad takes?

Do we not take this with a grain of salt?

UNCgolf

I'd argue that there's sizable overlap of Millennial Simpsons fans and Disney fans.

I know as an elder millennial, I grew up with both and hold both in an equally high regard.

I think there is too, but that's my issue with it -- I don't see it garnering any significant fan base among younger generations, and it's not an IP that's going to move the needle at all for people who aren't already fans of it.

It's obviously anecdotal, but I'm honestly not sure my nephew or any of his friends (currently in college) could even identify the Simpsons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom