Rumors. Musings. Casual.

UNCgolf

Lots of commentary on here about Simpsons….

Rumormongering from Disney side: there’s a huge push from the CEO’s office over Simpsons. The show’s reruns are a draw on D+. Apparently a big one. I think the CEO straight up enjoys the show too.

I think in a perfect world for Disney, they’re gonna want these characters on stage repping their parks at D23.

Exactly why I say it's shortsighted. If they build something Simpsons related, they're probably going to look at it in 15 years and wish they hadn't, considering all the other options they have.

And I like the Simpsons!

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member

Rumormongering from Disney side: there’s a huge push from the CEO’s office over Simpsons. The show’s reruns are a draw on D+. Apparently a big one. I think the CEO straight up enjoys the show too.

I think in a perfect world for Disney, they’re gonna want these characters on stage repping their parks at D23.
The Simpsons peaked in the mid 90’s. 30+ years later it’s like a zombie franchise that is begging to be put out of its misery. (I was a diehard Simpsons fan up until around 2013/14)

How could anyone in a company completely obsessed with relevant IP being omnipresent in everything they do think that pushing The Simpsons is A good idea. It certainly didn’t move the needle at USO.

Last edited:

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
Honestly, this is not too surprising. One of the primary reasons Disney justified the Fox acquisition was the ability to use Fox to drive synergy. There's only one problem with that. Apart from National Geographic on Disney+, Disney's not really done anything to leverage the Fox assets. Not even the X-Men or Fantastic 4 have yet appeared in the MCU. The handful of films and brands that are Fox in origin on Disney+ are not driving significant viewership (with the exception of Avatar). Unlike Iger's acquisitions of Star Wars and Marvel, investors are scratching their heads wondering why he spent so much on these assets. There's been almost no tangible benefit.
The allure of the Fox deal was based on how well Disney could leverage its own properties to essentially print money.

It was all fantastically successful until it wasn’t.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

I'd argue that there's sizable overlap of Millennial Simpsons fans and Disney fans.

I know as an elder millennial, I grew up with both and hold both in an equally high regard.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It literally makes zero sense to try to integrate the Simpsons into wdw.
Good thing that Disney has one theme park whose function has transformed into a catch-all for all IP that doesn't fit anywhere else very easily.

Welcome to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

It's like the like the island of misfit IP.

Although in tonight's beer, bourbon, and chicken-tender-athon, one thing was said by someone I tend to trust that raised my eyebrow.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good thing that Disney has one theme park whose function has transformed into a catch-all for all IP that doesn't fit anywhere else very easily.

Welcome to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

It's like the like the island of misfit IP.

Although in tonight's beer, bourbon, and chicken-tender-athon, one thing was said by someone I tend to trust that raised my eyebrow.
Yeah…Miley really speaks to me at the Grammys too 😍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom