News Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Ticket Price Increases

RobWDW1971

I think this is an important point. What a few hundred fans on a Disney Fan site think isn't moving the needle much if at all. Its the general public that has to feel the same way before Disney will think there is an issue.

Note that I'm sure Disney is aware of the complaints regarding maintenance and such, but there is limited things they can do if most of it is caused by supply chain and staffing issues. A lot of that is out of their control. Not saying they are completely blameless, but a bit of understanding is needed as its a balancing act.
I would argue if Parks and Resorts management read this boards it would only enable and reinforce their constant lowering of standards. This is, by very definition, a hardcore fan site. We are collectively here because we have a passion for the parks well beyond the masses.

Understanding that, I continue to be shocked by people on these boards justifying, rationalizing, and even defending management decisions, both tactical and strategic, that would have never been seen as acceptable years ago.

Cast Members who are unkempt, tatted up, and totally unprofessional? Attraction maintenance so poor that you one can barely list all of the broken effects? Making guests pay full price and still walk for months down the tram route for no reason at all? Marvel comic characters and roller coasters in Epcot? Giant permanent barges plopped down in the World Showcase to block the views of the countries? The Shanghai Tron building just plopped down at the Magic Kingdom with no regard to architectural context, sight lines, or placement? Charging to get to wait in a shorter lines? Hotels that have all unique theming removed? Animated characters awkwardly and cheaply slapped on existing attractions?

The list on both coasts is endless, yet the "passionate fans" on this site have rationalized and defended them all at one point or another.

If I was reading this board, my takeaway would be "See, even our superfans don't really care that much, so definitely the other 99% won't care at all!"

The recent Splash Mountain takes of "Yeah, it's terrible and everything is broken, but better to ride what's there than nothing!!!" Wow.

People keep buying. People don't care. So they don't care anymore. That simple.

mickEblu

I would argue if Parks and Resorts management read this boards it would only enable and reinforce their constant lowering of standards. This is, by very definition, a hardcore fan site. We are collectively here because we have a passion for the parks well beyond the masses.

Understanding that, I continue to be shocked by people on these boards justifying, rationalizing, and even defending management decisions, both tactical and strategic, that would have never been seen as acceptable years ago.

Cast Members who are unkempt, tatted up, and totally unprofessional? Attraction maintenance so poor that you one can barely list all of the broken effects? Making guests pay full price and still walk for months down the tram route for no reason at all? Marvel comic characters and roller coasters in Epcot? Giant permanent barges plopped down in the World Showcase to block the views of the countries? The Shanghai Tron building just plopped down at the Magic Kingdom with no regard to architectural context, sight lines, or placement? Charging to get to wait in a shorter lines? Hotels that have all unique theming removed? Animated characters awkwardly and cheaply slapped on existing attractions?

The list on both coasts is endless, yet the "passionate fans" on this site have rationalized and defended them all at one point or another.

If I was reading this board, my takeaway would be "See, even our superfans don't really care that much, so definitely the other 99% won't care at all!"

The recent Splash Mountain takes of "Yeah, it's terrible and everything is broken, but better to ride what's there than nothing!!!" Wow.

People keep buying. People don't care. So they don't care anymore. That simple.

Agree with this sentiment but this implies that Disney is not creating the issue. So do we have an example of any time in the past where Disney’s standards were going downhill and made a turn around because Super fans held them accountable? Seems to me like we have nothing to do with it. The world is more populated than ever and the brand has to continued to grow over the last 100 years. I’m not sure how much us Super Fans really have to do with sub standard maintenance and questionable creative choices.

Californian Elitist

Agree with this sentiment but this implies that Disney is not creating the issue. So do we have an example of any time in the past where Disney’s standards were going downhill and made a turn around because Super fans held them accountable? Seems to me like we have nothing to do with it. The world is more populated than ever and the brand has to continued to grow over the last 100 years. I’m not sure how much us Super Fans really have to do with sub standard maintenance and questionable creative choices.
The super fans continue to go to the parks regularly, despite the decline in quality. This is absolutely mostly Disney’s fault, but I would agree that the fans who make excuses, justify, and keep going, are partially to be blamed as well.

As my mom always says, “what you allow, you encourage.”

mickEblu

The super fans continue to go to the parks regularly, despite the decline in quality. This is absolutely mostly Disney’s fault, but I would agree that the fans who make excuses, justify, and keep going, are partially to be blamed as well.

As my mom always says, “what you allow, you encourage.”

Yeah I see what you mean. Its definitely not black and white. Its interesting though that when Super fans complain some common responses are “Disney doesn’t care about what a small minority of super fans think” but when they don’t complain it’s “you’re allowing this stuff to continue.” It can’t go both ways.

Its also not like all these things happen over night. Certain things improve park wide while certain things simultaneously regress. There is an ebb and flow. While Splash and Indy are going to hell they opened up ROTR and MMRR will be opening in a few months. As long as the overall experience is positive people will continue to go. When the negative outweighs the positive people will stop going.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Yeah I see what you mean. Its definitely not black and white. Its interesting though that when Super fans complain some common responses are “Disney doesn’t care about what a small minority of super fans think” but when they don’t complain it’s “you’re allowing this to continue to happen.” It can’t go both ways.

Its also not like all these things happen over night. Certain things improve park wide while certain things simultaneously regress. There is an ebb and flow. While Splash and Indy are going to hell they opened up ROTR and MMRR will be opening in a few months. As long as the overall experience is positive people will continue to go. When the negative outweighs the positive people will stop going.
It can go both ways. If attendance dropped significantly, Disney would then care. But people aren’t gonna stop going, no matter what they do, so that’ll never happen.

That’s the point, people will justify Disney’s decisions, no matter what they do. Doesn’t matter if they take away perks while continuing to increase prices (Magic Keys), it doesn’t matter if prices keep rising while maintenance continues to crumble, it doesn’t matter if Disney keeps asking people to pay higher prices for a service that used to be free… There are certain fans who will continue to go and go. This has already been proven. The parks are packed. If people continue to go, why shouldn’t Disney keep raising prices? Why should they bother fixing some of the broken things in their rides? People are gonna show up and spend their money anyway.

CaptinEO

Super fans have stopped a number of things, Light Magic and the Main Street Cinema come to mind.

But there's no reason to think the general public has no standards. Lots of people visit with family once every year or so (now I'm in this category). Believe me the general public will and does notice the declines. I've had many family members express outrage and confusion over some changes such as reservations and Genie+.

They may not notice if each effect on each ride works, but when Disneyland is part of people's tradition they have a good baseline of what standards to expect.

Hopefully guest visit surveys reflect this.

mickEblu

It can go both ways. If attendance dropped significantly, Disney would then care. But people aren’t gonna stop going, no matter what they do, so that’ll never happen.

That’s the point, people will justify Disney’s decisions, no matter what they do. Doesn’t matter if they take away perks while continuing to increase prices (Magic Keys), it doesn’t matter if prices keep rising while maintenance continues to crumble, it doesn’t matter if Disney keeps asking people to pay higher prices for a service that used to be free… There are certain fans who will continue to go and go. This has already been proven. The parks are packed. If people continue to go, why shouldn’t Disney keep raising prices? Why should they bother fixing some of the broken things in their rides? People are gonna show up and spend their money anyway.

People are still going because the overall experience is still positive and because Disneyland (in this case) has no true competition.

Consumer

So what motivates these people to keep going back? Are they unable to grow up? Is it a social media addiction that they need to show off how interesting they are? Do they need to collect every bit of merchandise to bring purpose to their meaningless existence?

Personally, I enjoy Disneyland because I love urban planning, art, and history, but I can just as easily get that when I visit Washington D.C. When Disney continues to remove these aspects from the parks, I have no reason to return.

mickEblu

Super fans have stopped a number of things, Light Magic and the Main Street Cinema come to mind.

But there's no reason to think the general public has no standards. Lots of people visit with family once every year or so (now I'm in this category). Believe me the general public will and does notice the declines. I've had many family members express outrage and confusion over some changes such as reservations and Genie+.

They may not notice if each effect on each ride works, but when Disneyland is part of people's tradition they have a good baseline of what standards to expect.

Hopefully guest visit surveys reflect this.

I agree with most of this and agree that casual fans are not stupid. I wouldn’t say that Super fans stopped Light Magic though I’d say just fans in general.

Californian Elitist

Personally, I enjoy Disneyland because I love urban planning, art, and history, but I can just as easily get that when I visit Washington D.C. When Disney continues to remove these aspects from the parks, I have no reason to return.
Same. I’m mostly here for the history and cultural significance.

I enjoy history in general, and would prefer to get my history fix elsewhere. Hilton offered me a 4-night stay in Williamsburg, Virginia a few weeks ago for just $200. If they hadn’t forced me to pay for it in that moment, I would have hopped all over that deal.

mickEblu

So what motivates these people to keep going back? Are they unable to grow up? Is it a social media addiction that they need to show off how interesting they are? Do they need to collect every bit of merchandise to bring purpose to their meaningless existence?

Can't speak for everyone but for myself it's a beautiful, safe, fun place to take the family that provides a variety of different experiences at one location that offers something for everyone in the family. You can ride a roller coaster in "Space", take your son to a well themed playground (Redwood Creek), eat a snack while taking in the sights of the ROA and listen to live music all in one afternoon at one location. Also love the landscaping. Those are the practical reasons in addition to the history, nostalgia and my love of old school Disney movies/ Disneyland of course. Not to say that a day in the parks are care free. You have the traffic to get there, crowds, possible tantrums etc but that's life.

Im also a creature of habit, busy with life and not very creative when it comes to entertainment options. With that said, as a father with two young kids, there aren't very many options that provide the bang for your buck that Disneyland does IMO. At least not an hour away or under that I would want to do multiple times a year. When my kids are older ill be more willing to travel further away for our entertainment or leave them behind. As far as So Cal entertainment options (Santa Barbara to SD) Ive either done them countless times or I just don't find them to be worth the time/ effort/ money with the kids.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I’m speaking in general here. There are SO many things to do in Southern California, other than Disneyland. Museums, state parks, festivals, cultural landmarks and learning opportunities, a plethora of cities, towns, and counties to visit… Limiting oneself while living in Southern California (and California in general) is a disservice. And a lot of these things are super cheap or even free. My mom took us to the same places as children, Disneyland and a park here and there, and I never realized how much I missed out on until becoming an adult and started venturing out and doing things on my own.

mickEblu

I’m speaking in general here. There are SO many things to do in Southern California, other than Disneyland. Museums, state parks, festivals, cultural landmarks and learning opportunities, a plethora of cities, towns, and counties to visit… Limiting oneself while living in Southern California (and California in general) is a disservice. And a lot of these things are super cheap or even free. My mom took us to the same places as children, Disneyland and a park here and there, and I never realized how much I missed out on until becoming an adult and started venturing out and doing things on my own.

You could be right. Send me a list…. when you get back from Disneyland? lol 😝

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

One of my coworkers, who only goes to DL a couple times a year, went last week and said it was the worst he’s ever seen it, as busy as he’s ever seen it, rides breaking down, long lines for food, long Genie lines, he couldn’t believe the prices for everything… then he showed me the pics of his kids having the time of their life and said they’re already planning their next trip for probably Jan or Feb when they hope it’ll be slower.

That’s the (not so) secret, we all hate how far Disney has fallen but despite all the moaning and complaining it’s still fun.

I loathe how expensive Knights (hockey) tickets have become, how expensive the beer is, how expensive the hot dogs are, how expensive the parking is, etc, etc etc but the second someone asks if I want to go to a game I say yes and grab my wallet. Complaining about something doesn’t mean we don’t still enjoy it.

mickEblu

Of the ideas you mentioned, the only thing that really appeals to me is doing little road trips and seeing new towns/ trying out new restaurants/ food. Road trips are rough with the kids though and gas is $$$. I've had this idea of going to Julian for their famous apple pies with cheddar cheese and just seeing a new charming little town. Its so far away though and im not sure the payoff will be there.

State Parks also interest me. We did Yosemite a few years ago which was great. Would like to do Sequoia National park soon.

RobWDW1971

One of my coworkers, who only goes to DL a couple times a year, went last week and said it was the worst he’s ever seen it, as busy as he’s ever seen it, rides breaking down, long lines for food, long Genie lines, he couldn’t believe the prices for everything… then he showed me the pics of his kids having the time of their life and said they’re already planning their next trip for probably Jan or Feb when they hope it’ll be slower.

That’s the (not so) secret, we all hate how far Disney has fallen but despite all the moaning and complaining it’s still fun.

I loathe how expensive Knights (hockey) tickets have become, how expensive the beer is, how expensive the hot dogs are, how expensive the parking is, etc, etc etc but the second someone asks if I want to go to a game I say yes and grab my wallet. Complaining about something doesn’t mean we don’t still enjoy it.
And that is why management has no motivation to change course and will continue to destroy the very reasons the parks were successful in the first place.

Just realize you are the problem and don't complain about the continued decline in quality your actions are encouraging.

You are voting for it loudly and clearly with every dollar you spend.

Californian Elitist

Of the ideas you mentioned, the only thing that really appeals to me is doing little road trips and seeing new towns/ trying out new restaurants/ food. Road trips are rough with the kids though and gas is $$$. I've had this idea of going to Julian for their famous apple pies with cheddar cheese and just seeing a new charming little town. Its so far away though and im not sure the payoff will be there.

State Parks also interest me. We did Yosemite a few years ago which was great. Would like to do Sequoia National park soon.
Didn’t you book a flight to Florida? That’s like a 5-hour flight. Julian is like three hours away from L.A., I believe. I’ve also been dying to get there. I intended to stay there for a weekend next month for apple picking and fall colors, but I don’t think it’s going to work out. I want to go for Christmas one year because of the snow. I hope you and your family get to go!

Consumer

As a kid my mom would take me to Natural History Museum, the Air and Space Museum, and the San Diego Zoo, all down in Balboa Park. I don’t know what membership to these places cost now, 20 years later, but I’d have to guess it’s more affordable than a Magic Key for Disneyland, and obviously such places are great for a child’s education and growth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom