Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Purduevian

Not everyone likes thrill rides. Not everyone is a fan of the IP in Universal's parks. If someone falls into those 2 categories, then why would they want to visit Universal's parks?
Non-thrill attractions:
USF (14): Despicable Me, Hogwarts Express, ET, Fast and Furious, Kang & Kodos, Men in Black, Jimmy Fallon(?), Woody Woodpecker, Bourne, Horror and Makeup, Blues Brothers, Tales of Beedle the Bard, Animal Actors, Celestina
IOA (11): Hogwarts Express, Caro-Seuss-el, Flight of the Hippogriff, One Fish, Pteranodon Flyers, Storm Force, Cat in the Hat, Seuss Trolley, Poseidon's Fury, Frog Choir, Triwizard Spirit Rally
DHS: (10)Alien, BatB, Disney Jr., Frozen, Indy, Racing Academy, MMRR, Muppets, TSMM, Mickey Shorts
AK (14): Animation Experience, FotLK, Chakranadi, KiteTails, Nemo, Gorilla Falls, Bugs Life, Safaris, Kora Tinga Tinga, Jungle Trek, Na'vi, Tam Tam, Viva Gaia, Wildlife train, TriceraTop Spin

As far as IP goes, I don't really care much for Bugs life, Dinosaur, Up, or Avatar, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying animal kingdom (I do like nemo and lion king though)!

Purduevian

I don't recall needing your permission. 🧐
You 100% don't. I was genuinely curious. I personally struggle to see how someone that is active on a WDW forum has 0 interest in Universal. I was hoping to hear your reasoning so I can better understand your position. You can do whatever you want, you also don't have to tell me your reasonings if you don't want to, but i figured I would ask.

Chip Chipperson

IP? That point is so moot its silly. Avatar was a trash heap as far as a good movie but it makes a heck of a ride.. New star wars movies are pretty ho hum but rise of the resistance it great. Spiderman is not something I would read but its still one of the best rides in Orlando despite its age.

It may be silly to you, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid reason for someone else. You asked why someone wouldn't want to go to Universal. I gave 2 reasons. I wouldn't expect you to agree with the reasons, since you obviously go to and enjoy Universal.

G00fyDad

You 100% don't. I was genuinely curious. I personally struggle to see how someone that is active on a WDW forum has 0 interest in Universal. I was hoping to hear your reasoning so I can better understand your position. You can do whatever you want, you also don't have to tell me your reasonings if you don't want to, but i figured I would ask.
I have absolutely zero interest in going to universal. None. None at all. It is never been interesting to me in the slightest. As a matter of fact, I only priced out a Universal trip to Florida once when my daughter was younger because she expressed a slight interest in one of their IP's at the time. The cost to go to universal versus my interest in anything they have just couldn't be balanced. I cannot imagine a time in my life where I'll ever desire to even set foot inside one of their parks. Of course, I'm also done with Disney after this next trip but that's a whole other issue.

Jeff4272

It may be silly to you, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid reason for someone else. You asked why someone wouldn't want to go to Universal. I gave 2 reasons. I wouldn't expect you to agree with the reasons, since you obviously go to and enjoy Universal.
you need to go....
I have absolutely zero interest in going to universal. None. None at all. It is never been interesting to me in the slightest. As a matter of fact, I only priced out a Universal trip to Florida once when my daughter was younger because she expressed a slight interest in one of their IP's at the time. The cost to go to universal versus my interest in anything they have just couldn't be balanced. I cannot imagine a time in my life where I'll ever desire to even set foot inside one of their parks. Of course, I'm also done with Disney after this next trip but that's a whole other issue.
Makes no sense at all.....we might need to have an intervention to get you to try it

bhg469

You're absolutely right... It is silly to me that they can have so much vitriol to a theme park to actually refuse to set foot in when its in the same city mere minutes away from another theme park that has made some questionable decisions in the past decade, slowly destroying its own brand... This is coming from a Disney Annual pass holder. Given the choice I would still keep my disney pass (for now) even though Disney doesn't want me there. I still take every opportunity to enjoy Universal when I can because it provides an equally good, but increasingly better experience.

Chip Chipperson

Non-thrill attractions:
USF (14): Despicable Me, Hogwarts Express, ET, Fast and Furious, Kang & Kodos, Men in Black, Jimmy Fallon(?), Woody Woodpecker, Bourne, Horror and Makeup, Blues Brothers, Tales of Beedle the Bard, Animal Actors, Celestina
IOA (11): Hogwarts Express, Caro-Seuss-el, Flight of the Hippogriff, One Fish, Pteranodon Flyers, Storm Force, Cat in the Hat, Seuss Trolley, Poseidon's Fury, Frog Choir, Triwizard Spirit Rally
DHS: (10)Alien, BatB, Disney Jr., Frozen, Indy, Racing Academy, MMRR, Muppets, TSMM, Mickey Shorts
AK (14): Animation Experience, FotLK, Chakranadi, KiteTails, Nemo, Gorilla Falls, Bugs Life, Safaris, Kora Tinga Tinga, Jungle Trek, Na'vi, Tam Tam, Viva Gaia, Wildlife train, TriceraTop Spin

As far as IP goes, I don't really care much for Bugs life, Dinosaur, Up, or Avatar, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying animal kingdom (I do like nemo and lion king though)!

1. Universal actively promotes themselves as a thrill-ride park. You can't blame vacationers for seeing the marketing and thinking, "Nah, that's not for me," if they don't like thrill rides.
2. How many of the non-thrill rides listed are kiddie rides? For someone without kids, what should I find appealing about Caro-Seuss-el, Cat in the Hat, Seuss Trolley, or Woody Woodpecker? Also, how many people consider Slinky Dog Dash to be a thrill ride? And there are 2 more parks at WDW that were omitted from your list (notably, Magic Kingdom, which is still a huge draw for people going to WDW).
3. Obviously, very few (if any) guests at either resort are fans of every single IP in every single park. But for many people, Disney's IP has a different level of attachment. What does Universal have that has the combination of nostalgia for adults and modern appeal to kids that the Fab 5 have?

Jrb1979

1. Universal actively promotes themselves as a thrill-ride park. You can't blame vacationers for seeing the marketing and thinking, "Nah, that's not for me," if they don't like thrill rides.
2. How many of the non-thrill rides listed are kiddie rides? For someone without kids, what should I find appealing about Caro-Seuss-el, Cat in the Hat, Seuss Trolley, or Woody Woodpecker? Also, how many people consider Slinky Dog Dash to be a thrill ride? And there are 2 more parks at WDW that were omitted from your list (notably, Magic Kingdom, which is still a huge draw for people going to WDW).
3. Obviously, very few (if any) guests at either resort are fans of every single IP in every single park. But for many people, Disney's IP has a different level of attachment. What does Universal have that has the combination of nostalgia for adults and modern appeal to kids that the Fab 5 have?
When Nintendo opens I think your last point will change. It's going to be a big draw.

Chip Chipperson

You're absolutely right... It is silly to me that they can have so much vitriol to a theme park to actually refuse to set foot in when its in the same city mere minutes away from another theme park that has made some questionable decisions in the past decade, slowly destroying its own brand... This is coming from a Disney Annual pass holder. Given the choice I would still keep my disney pass (for now) even though Disney doesn't want me there. I still take every opportunity to enjoy Universal when I can because it provides an equally good, but increasingly better experience.

Who has vitriol about it? Different people have different tastes. If I'm in Epcot and get lunch at Regal Eagle and someone asks me if I'd like to get dinner in the Chinese pavilion but I decline since I don't like Chinese food, would it make sense for them to say, "Why so much vitriol? They're 2 restaurants in the same park. Why wouldn't you try them both?" I'm glad you enjoy Universal. Nobody's trying to tell you not to, but it's odd that you can't understand that there are people out there who like WDW but don't want to go to another theme park.

Chip Chipperson

When Nintendo opens I think your last point will change. It's going to be a big draw.

I'm sure it will change for a lot of people who grew up on Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong and kids who play Nintendo games now. If done well, they might even get me and my wife to drive over for a day. There will still be people who have no interest in those things, either, though - just as I'm sure there are people who love Universal and have no interest in going to WDW.

bhg469

Who has vitriol about it? Different people have different tastes. If I'm in Epcot and get lunch at Regal Eagle and someone asks me if I'd like to get dinner in the Chinese pavilion but I decline since I don't like Chinese food, would it make sense for them to say, "Why so much vitriol? They're 2 restaurants in the same park. Why wouldn't you try them both?" I'm glad you enjoy Universal. Nobody's trying to tell you not to, but it's odd that you can't understand that there are people out there who like WDW but don't want to go to another theme park.
But would you skip the China Pavilion as a whole? Ignoring the shop/attraction? Like I said earlier, I very much dislike Avatar, do I enter pandora every time I am at animal kingdom?? Yes I do.. I also don't care for Potter but Hagrids is the best attraction in orlando and Diagon Alley is still the best park addition..

MickeyLuv'r

Not everyone likes thrill rides. Not everyone is a fan of the IP in Universal's parks. If someone falls into those 2 categories, then why would they want to visit Universal's parks?
Curiosity?

1. Since I was a small child, when I visit a theme park, I am not just immersed in the particular IP, but also how the ride designers decided to design the ride. I think it is funny Peter Pan has a tin foil volcano, for example. Even after many rides, I am still amazed be the details of the HM.

At Universal, the level of detail in Diagon Alley is just phenomenal. It LOOKS like walking into the movie. I am also impressed with how they solved the 'problem' of Platform 9 3/4. How did they create the illusion of walking into a wall? The wand experience also= amazing problem solving.

2. Even if you don't love HP, the wand spells are REALLY neat, and not-a-ride-at-all.

3. For me, I'd also say most Universal rides are not that far off from WDW's.
The Universal kiddie coasters: Hippogriff + Woody -are literally the SAME coaster as Goofy = Vekoma Juniors. Of the 3, Hippogriff has best theming.
MIB is not far off from TSMM/Buzz. Even if I didn't think MIB was funny, it is still fun in the same way TSMM is fun.

4/5. Two more reasons to visit Universal are the hotels and the food. Like WDW, some of the QS food options are bad. But I also really enjoy many of the dining options. The ice cream shop in Diagon Alley has some great flavors. Cowfish is quirky and unique. The crepe stand at US is very good! Finnegan's has some tasty options. Many of US's candy treats are also pretty unique. In the Chocolate Emporium, the right side is a chocolate shop. Look in the glass cases to find sweets that blow away everything else offered anywhere else on either property. (Kinda near the register)

The hotels are also fun to explore. A couple US hotels have boring pools, but most are fun. And unlike WDW - pool hopping IS allowed! and pool hopping is easy because most of the hotels are within easy walking distance. One of my favorite US hotels is Sapphire Falls.

Chi84

Premium Member
Many people find it difficult to think outside their own experience. That's the basis of most arguments here.

Jrb1979

I'm sure it will change for a lot of people who grew up on Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong and kids who play Nintendo games now. If done well, they might even get me and my wife to drive over for a day. There will still be people who have no interest in those things, either, though - just as I'm sure there are people who love Universal and have no interest in going to WDW.
I agree. I'm starting to understand it now. When I first joined here I couldn't understand how you can go to Disney but never step foot in your local park.

Chip Chipperson

But would you skip the China Pavilion as a whole? Ignoring the shop/attraction? Like I said earlier, I very much dislike Avatar, do I enter pandora every time I am at animal kingdom?? Yes I do.. I also don't care for Potter but Hagrids is the best attraction in orlando and Diagon Alley is still the best park addition..

Probably. I mean, I'd go with the rest of my group if they wanted to browse the shop but I wouldn't make a point of going otherwise. There's very little in any of the World Showcase shops that I'd ever actually buy, with the exception of maybe Germany. The Harry Potter lands look like they did a great job on them. However, those alone aren't enough to justify the price of a ticket to me since I'm not a Harry Potter fan - especially when they decided to split it into both parks. I'm sure I'd walk around and think it was cool for what it is, but I'm not dropping $109+ just to visit a cool land for books/movies I've never read/seen (or $164+ for a park hopper ticket so I can see both lands). I also wouldn't buy a WDW ticket just for Pandora, but I'll enjoy it while I'm in the park.

MickeyLuv'r

1. I am sure part of this is emotional bias.
2. I love the Universal rides you listed. Are you saying Pooh, ItaSW, Little Mermaid, Carousel, Playhouse Junior, Dumbo, Buzz, Triceratops Spin, and Aladdin aren't 'kiddie' rides? Do you skip all of those?

Hippogriff, Woody and Goofy's Barnstormer = the same Vekoma Jr. - just slightly different configurations and theming. Though maybe you skip Goofy. The theming is pretty lame.

3. Harry Potter is a pretty big franchise. I'm not going to say as big as Mickey, but the books have sold over 500 million copies. That's not nothing, even if they don't appeal to you or your family.

dreday3

Universal - the only IP that has any appeal for me is Harry Potter. So sure, I'd like to visit for those lands.
The looks of Universal the park itself - I find to be bland (yes, I've been there but before HP). Sea World looks much prettier.
Islands of Adventure was fun for a day, but we don't like those types of thrill rides as much anymore. I'd go back for Harry Potter and Dr. Seuss, but again, not for more than a day.

Epic World - zilch interest for me, but I'll go for someone else. Once. :)

Disney World - IP - I still watch Cinderella, Lady and The Tramp, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid, etc. at least once a year (remember those movies?...) Magic Kingdom will always be a draw.
Animal Kingdom is amazing in my eyes and can spend days there.
DHS is getting better :D.
Epcot is full of nostalgia for me and I still love World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom