News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Vinnie Mac

The whole metaverse is an hilarious concept. It's like Zuckenberg attempts to reinvent the wheel when its already there and its failed already.
So they either sanitize this 3d world thing immensely or they will have to deal with the hilarity you see every day in VRChat and things like SecondLife. And we know how SecondLife became irrelevant.

To resume, Zuckemberg wants his "Ready Player One" type virtual world... but the truth is way more different.
Unless the Metaverse uses sometype of neurological device to fully simulate virtual environments for its user, I wouldn't worry about it. If that doesn't happen, Metaverse will be like every other VR hangout spot. And even then, no one has ever thought to themselves "this VR environment is so much better than the real world" besides people who never went outside of their homes anyway.

Vinnie Mac

Build a 5th gate.
Not saying it's likely but I'm not saying it's super unlikely either. I'm sure Disney is definitely considering it especially with Epic Universe coming in to play. If a 5th gate is coming, im putting my money on some type of announcement between 2027-2033

John park hopper

People complained about price increases and lack of services back in the 1980s too. It took Eisner about five years to double the price of admission. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Yes pries rose but not to the degree and frequency as they have in the last ten years and the perks for staying on site were not touched.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Build a 5th gate.

I'd much rather see them add 3 new quality attractions to each of DAK, DHS, and EPCOT than have them build new attractions at a new park.

Even with the addition of Ratatouille and the Guardians replacement, EPCOT still won't be close to providing the same capacity it had 30 years ago (not just in terms of high quality attractions but also in other activities). DHS has had a small increase with recent builds, but it's still not where it needs to be, and DAK has never made it to adequate attraction capacity (but the animal trails and overall detailed theming everywhere there help make up for it).

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People complained about price increases and lack of services back in the 1980s too. It took Eisner about five years to double the price of admission. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Was that during the largest expansions in history?

the one that brought about 5 new hotels, a new gate, a new waterpark, etc etc etc?

…and all those things were doubled up until 1998?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I'm not disputing that. Just drawing the comparison that, to the future, someone may look back on these days as the "golden years."
Perhaps…but I’ll venture that it’s more a generational thing…where immediate attention/discard and self reflection are the driving forces:

it won’t be about what they did…it will be about the fact THEY were there…

Disney - to their business credit - seems to be playing to that…this “experience” nonsense.

“you are the magic”

“look at what YOU will see…it’s a celebration of you and personalized choices”

knock or love it…it’s smart.

downside is patience, value and reasonable truth based on observations/assessments are lost…

no biggie

el_super

Yes pries rose but not to the degree and frequency as they have in the last ten years and the perks for staying on site were not touched.

I actually don't think this is true.... just looking at admission prices online, it looks like the biggest/more frequent price increases occurred under Eisner. In Eisner's first ten years, he doubled the price of admission. For the past ten, it's just gone up about 50%.

Theme park admission prices have been relatively stagnant since 2016.

el_super

The ONLY way anyone is looking back on the current state WDW as the "golden years" is if the future holds something far worse than what they're doing right now. 'shudder' :depressed: If you're saying anything other than this I'd have to say you're waaaay off. ;)

Yes and no. Some things will be better and some thinks will be worse. Things that Eisner got criticized for in the 1980s, are now considered classics. People will forget the bad and only remember the good. Which means whatever bad thing people are experiencing 30 years from now, will be considered the absolutely worst thing to ever happen to the parks ever. If you try to convince them that Disney World once eliminated a free bus service, they will not care. That just seems to be how history works.

I am sorry, but Chappie is in way over his shiny dome.

They will be fine.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Yes and no. Some things will be better and some thinks will be worse. Things that Eisner got criticized for in the 1980s, are now considered classics. People will forget the bad and only remember the good. Which means whatever bad thing people are experiencing 30 years from now, will be considered the absolutely worst thing to ever happen to the parks ever. If you try to convince them that Disney World once eliminated a free bus service, they will not care. That just seems to be how history works.

They will be fine.
If you say so ;)

Cesar R M

I actually don't think this is true.... just looking at admission prices online, it looks like the biggest/more frequent price increases occurred under Eisner. In Eisner's first ten years, he doubled the price of admission. For the past ten, it's just gone up about 50%.

Theme park admission prices have been relatively stagnant since 2016.
Cost cuts, merchandise price hikes. And now services cut.
I wonder how long until Disney starts charging for internet service and general MyMagic usage.

Vinnie Mac

Very true. People do this every era and in the future, it'll happen to this one too.

fgmnt

They will never build a “5th gate” in the traditional sense.
I don't see why folks can't see there is no real business case in adding a 5th gate to the Florida operation. If another domestic gate is built, it would be built in California, or manifest as part of another domestic resort enterprise.

Cost cuts, merchandise price hikes. And now services cut.
I wonder how long until Disney starts charging for internet service and general MyMagic usage.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong, but mymagic+ rollout ushered in free internet. I think we were paying for internet on Disney property until 2011 or even later. Some might say it's fair it was only ever given to us as free because it was an investment in getting visitors to spend more money in the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't see why folks can't see there is no real business case in adding a 5th gate to the Florida operation. If another domestic gate is built, it would be built in California, or manifest as part of another domestic resort enterprise.

the main reason - in my experience - why people do this is they see it as a disappointment and therefore won’t look at the simple reasons.

its park cannibalization and longterm labor/overhead commitments…trust me. That’s not an opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom