Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Glimpses

That's not exactly an encouraging statement for knowing anything at all. You can replace ivermectin with pixie dust and it's just as valid.

Or, perhaps Tequila, Rum, Chocolate, or Mickey Bars, and it's still just as valid. Where's the study showing if Mickey Bars and Pixie Dust are a good preventative? That would at least fit the story that COVID transmission is low or non existent at WDW. 🤔

It would be delicious too.
Are there a dozen institutions studying pixie dust and its use in COVID-19 infections?

mmascari

There are a lot of studies going on for it, so there must be some reason to believe it could possibly be helpful.
I don't want to imagine the ratio of "lots of studies" to "actually found helpful", I'm sure it's a super depressing value.

It's certainly possible, as in "anything is possible", but I wouldn't be counting on this if I was just some random person. If it's someone participating in a study, that's different. As they're being more closely monitored and if it doesn't work out they'll get the additional care.

So, anyone who got some pills from "a guy", "some friend", or "the store down the road", while they're not all the same, they are all taking a gamble.

Now, if someone has COVID and a parasitic worm infestation, they should totally see a doctor about getting some. It'll help tremendously with the parasitic worms which should let you immune system focus on COVID better. While not a huge issue in the US, it is an issue in many places.

October82

There are a lot of studies going on for it, so there must be some reason to believe it could possibly be helpful.

I don't want to imagine the ratio of "lots of studies" to "actually found helpful", I'm sure it's a super depressing value.

It's certainly possible, as in "anything is possible", but I wouldn't be counting on this if I was just some random person. If it's someone participating in a study, that's different. As they're being more closely monitored and if it doesn't work out they'll get the additional care.

So, anyone who got some pills from "a guy", "some friend", or "the store down the road", while they're not all the same, they are all taking a gamble.

Now, if someone has COVID and a parasitic worm infestation, they should totally see a doctor about getting some. It'll help tremendously with the parasitic worms which should let you immune system focus on COVID better. While not a huge issue in the US, it is an issue in many places.

Ivermectin, along with other anti-parasitics, showed promise at very high concentrations in tests done outside of animal models. The issue is that the dosages required are far in excess of the doses at which these drugs become toxic to humans.

With Covid-19, until very recently, we were at a point where every conceivable treatment needed to be investigated. This prompted the large number of studies, many of which were of low quality and/or rushed, to see if any effect was present at lower concentrations. Many studies also were more narrowly about assessing drug safety, especially in animal models. Further confusion around this topic arises from people misunderstanding statistical tests for the existence of effects, and misconceptions around evidence of absence and negative claims.

That scientists continue to study Ivermectin does not mean that you should take it to treat Covid. Not only is it unlikely to do anything, it is very likely to cause a great deal of harm, especially at high doses.

Chip Chipperson

You have it backwards. The new recommendation is people at high risk, including patients with a previous heart disease or heart attack should, consulting with their doctor, continue (or start) low dose aspirin regimen.

The issue is if people without any risk factors, particularly people over 60 should start a low dose aspirin regimen for prevention. The recent studies suggest the bleeding risk, for people without any risk factors, exceeds the benefits of starting an aspirin regime. This seems to be more significant with older patients.

edited to add: This doesn't have anything to do with Covid. This is an example of posters, sometimes unintentionally, misrepresenting studies. In this case the poster completely misstated the conclusion.

I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been, but I'm referring to recent articles such as this when I mentioned recent changes to the recommendation for people with heart issues: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...mended-prevent-first-heart-attack/6103264001/

In any event, taking aspirin is not a better preventative measure for COVID-19 than getting vaccinated, which is what some people are now claiming based on some study (and if it's a reputable study then it doesn't reach the conclusion that anti-vaxxers and COVID deniers claim it does) - and it's somewhat ironic that the people screaming "pre-existing conditions" about every COVID death are now claiming that aspirin (which would have been used by many people with heart conditions) is now a preventative medication when they were also discounting he deaths that occurred within that same group. I've even seen people claim the the articles like the one I just linked are part of some "smear campaign" to ruin aspirin's good name (because who doesn't love a good ulcer?) and discourage the general public from taking a safe, "proven" treatment to prevent infection.

seascape

I found today's numbers from the Miami Herold. Florida is now down to a 7 day average of 2,681. That works out to 12.49. Yes, the NY Times will round that down to 12 per 100k but as the numbers get lower I feel it is better to report the complete number. I was hoping the number would drop more and be closer to 12 but an happy for the continued drop. The best news is Florida only needs to drop another 20% to fall below 10 cases per 100k.

Chip Chipperson

Ivermectin, along with other anti-parasitics, showed promise at very high concentrations in tests done outside of animal models. The issue is that the dosages required are far in excess of the doses at which these drugs become toxic to humans.

With Covid-19, until very recently, we were at a point where every conceivable treatment needed to be investigated. This prompted the large number of studies, many of which were of low quality and/or rushed, to see if any effect was present at lower concentrations. Many studies also were more narrowly about assessing drug safety, especially in animal models. Further confusion around this topic arises from people misunderstanding statistical tests for the existence of effects, and misconceptions around evidence of absence and negative claims.

That scientists continue to study Ivermectin does not mean that you should take it to treat Covid. Not only is it unlikely to do anything, it is very likely to cause a great deal of harm, especially at high doses.

It's crazy to me that people ignore the safety data surrounding vaccines but blindly use "it's not proven to not work" as evidence that it DOES work. I also marvel at the inconsistency of someone like Rogan who simultaneously claims that healthy people have nothing to fear and don't need the vaccine while also claiming that ivermectin "worked" for him. Well, if he's as healthy as he claims to be, why did he feel the need to take an unproven drug (plus monoclonal antibodies) in the first place?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH. The number of new deaths reported from the report last week to this report is 1,192.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 5.29.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 5.29.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 5.29.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 5.29.51 PM.png

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 593697Orange County has now been officially downgraded to substantial (orange) level. The next down grade (moderate, yellow) will be when current CDC guidance will switch to masks only for unvaccinated.
I wonder NJ Transit will have deal with CDC guidance will switch to masks only for unvaccinated for trains and buses next year if the cases are low enough in NJ/NY?

lewisc

I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been, but I'm referring to recent articles such as this when I mentioned recent changes to the recommendation for people with heart issues:
PLEASE READ THE article. It is 100% clear you either didn't completely read the article or you are intentionally misrepresenting the study.

The recommendation apply to to older people who DON'T HAVE HEART ISSUES and aren't currently taking low dose aspirin. YOU HAVE IT BACKWARDS

Animaniac93-98

And that solves that for all those people up here who got mixed doses.

At this point the biggest barrier for people travelling to places like WDW is the cost of getting tested.

For example, if you're driving down to Florida from Canada, you don't have to get tested going to the States, but coming back into Canada you do. A test is around $200 USD per person (more if you want the results sooner). That's hard to justify for a family of 4 or 5.

Anecdotally, there's also the perception here that anyone who goes to Florida is very likely to get sick (even if the risk is overstated).

Disney Analyst

At this point the biggest barrier for people travelling to places like WDW is the cost of getting tested.

For example, if you're driving down to Florida from Canada, you don't have to get tested going to the States, but coming back into Canada you do. A test is around $200 USD per person (more if you want the results sooner). That's hard to justify for a family of 4 or 5.

Anecdotally, there's also the perception here that anyone who goes to Florida is very likely to get sick (even if the risk is overstated).

There is currently some talk that Canada will drop that requirement for the land border, I certainly hope so... or no little weekend trips to Seattle for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom