Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Toad

Anecdotes are not statistics.

Even fully vaccinated children with have breakthrough cases and, on occasion, fatalities.

I'm not making a claim against vaccines. We can and should vaccinate everyone we're able. I just want people to discuss risks with an appropriate frame of reference in the meantime.

Also, cause of death has not been determined in that case so, at present, you're talking out of your ***.
Here’s a statistic from the same article:

“As of last week, at least 24 children under the age of 10 have died from COVID-19 in Texas, according to the state’s health department.”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anecdotes are not statistics.

Even fully vaccinated children with have breakthrough cases and, on occasion, fatalities.

I'm not making a claim against vaccines. We can and should vaccinate everyone we're able. I just want people to discuss risks with an appropriate frame of reference in the meantime.
My kid isn’t a statistic. He doesn’t have protection from the virus even if he isn’t high risk. I am going to be very happy to see him eligible for the vaccine soon. I’ll feel much better once that happens. Dismissing that because he is statistically unlikely to have a severe negative outcome is actually offensive to me. You are free to feel any way you want about your own kid (if you have one) but don’t poo poo other people who want their kids who aren’t eligible to be vaccinated.

CaptainAmerica

My kid isn’t a statistic. He doesn’t have protection from the virus even if he isn’t high risk. I am going to be very happy to see him eligible for the vaccine soon. I’ll feel much better once that happens. Dismissing that because he is statistically unlikely to have a severe negative outcome is actually offensive to me. You are free to feel any way you want about your own kid (if you have one) but don’t poo poo other people who want their kids who aren’t eligible to be vaccinated.
I'm not dismissing anything. Lock your kid in the house until two weeks after his second dose. Bathe in hand sanitizer. Bleach your vegetables. That's your prerogative as a parent.

What I object to are public policy positions that rob MY kids of their childhood to assuage media-induced paranoia.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not dismissing anything. Lock your kid in the house until two weeks after his second dose. Bathe in hand sanitizer. Bleach your vegetables. That's your prerogative as a parent.

What I object to are public policy positions that rob MY kids of their childhood to assuage media-induced paranoia.
What the heck are you talking about? @JoeCamel said he would be happy when kids under 12 got approved for the vaccine and got some protection from the virus. How will that rob your kid of anything?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I believe in the 2018-2019 flu season in texas, there were just under 20 pediatric deaths. Flu season is relatively short in texas. And that’s with a flu vaccine.

I go back to my saying on this. Don’t understate the risk that covid poses to children. But don’t overstate it either.
As you said, vaccines are a good idea when you can. That’s why I get my kids the flu shot every year. Its a good thing to do.

Virtual Toad

All of us, especially those of us who are parents, would like this thing to be behind us. For the sake of our children, we wish it had never even happened.

But it has happened and it’s not over yet. Earlier today I posted a link to a news article that talked about the many ways COVID is affecting schoolchildren. You don’t have to want to lock your kids up safe and sound to be worried sick about their well being.

My son has to live for the rest of his life with the memory of the incredible teacher he lost to COVID before Christmas last year. A teacher that went out of her way to include my son and all the other kids who had to learn remotely last year.

But that’s nothing compared to what the parents who lost their kids to COVID must bear. Or the parents who lost their kids to cancer, car accidents or any other cause.

I guess my point is, this thing affects so many in so many ways. Maybe a little more compassion for the thoughts and concerns of everyone would be better than minimizing someone’s loss. Even if it happens to be “statistically insignificant.”

CaptainAmerica

My kids are 6, 3, and 1. They're much more likely to develop mysophobia and agoraphobia out of all of this madness than they are serious illness from COVID. There are competing goods at stake, but everyone has decided the the virology is the only dimension worth considering. To hell with education, recreation, social development, or anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virtual Toad

To paraphrase Commodore Norrington, do not make the mistake in thinking you are the only man here who cares for the children.

My kids are 6, 3, and 1. They're much more likely to develop mysophobia and agoraphobia out of all of this madness than they are serious illness from COVID. There are competing goods at stake, but everyone has decided the the virology is the only dimension worth considering. To hell with education, recreation, social development, or anything else.
Woah. That’s simply not true. As parents we grapple every day with each and every difficult choice this pandemic has forced upon our children and families. As parents we all know the effects of the pandemic on our kids go way beyond the epidemiological. We struggle with the lost school time, strained socialization, missed activities and vacations. We lament that our kids have not been able to see much of their grandparents in person. We worry for their emotional health as well as their spiritual and physical health.

Nowhere did I say I was the only person who cared for my children. I just think a little more compassion for the plight of others is certainly warranted.

CaptainAmerica

Woah. That’s simply not true. As parents we grapple every day with each and every difficult choice this pandemic has forced upon our children and families. As parents we all know the effects of the pandemic on our kids go way beyond the epidemiological. We struggle with the lost school time, strained socialization, missed activities and vacations. We lament that our kids have not been able to see much of their grandparents in person. We worry for their emotional health as well as their spiritual and physical health.

Nowhere did I say I was the only person who cared for my children. I just think a little more compassion for the plight of others is certainly warranted.
Take your kids to see their grandparents. Please. We only get so many circles 'round the sun.

carolina_yankee

The virus will end up being endemic. It’s not going to go away and at some point we have to learn to live with the risk. Those who get vaccinated (myself and family included) are better protected. Those that do not get vaccinated are more at risk and at this point they know it. Soon, probably in late Oct, 5-11 yr olds will be eligible for Pfizer. We will never get to 100% vaccinated. We are currently at 76% of adults with their first shot which is higher than they thought we would get to initially.
Not live with the risk. Mitigate the risk. As long as there are people who cannot be vaccinated, or variants can breakthrough the vaccine, other precautions will also be necessary. It is not just about protecting the individual, but protecting the community. Until COVID is barely present, masks and vaccine mandates will be essential. Vaccine mandates may be as necessary as the many other vaccination mandates already in place.

Virtual Toad

Take your kids to see their grandparents. Please. We only get so many circles 'round the sun.
Would love to. But they are older and even though vaccinated we cannot risk giving them an infection, given the daily exposure our kids deal with in school.

And our children cannot see their grandmother, my MIL, at all, and haven’t for most of the pandemic. Because she is locked down in a nursing home that’s continuing to grapple with continual COVID outbreaks. So no visits from minors allowed.

Heck, even my FIL, who before the pandemic had to deal with the difficult choice to put his Alzheimer’s-stricken wife in a nursing home, can only visit her sporadically, and must maintain a safe distance. All he wants to do is give her a hug and he can’t even do that.

Through it all, to see my kids continue to remain optimistic and focused on their studies, to see them socialize as much as possible with friends... to see them handle the situation and themselves with maturity and grace, to know that they will emerge from this stronger, smarter and ready to tackle the challenges of the world they will inherit... that gives me hope.

Each and every parent has had to make difficult, frustrating, worrying choices through this. Every family’s situation and story is different but we all love our children.

That’s what we all should focus on, because that’s what matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom