News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

DC0703

Yah I really don’t get what they were going for with these orbs, especially because they don’t match the interior ones at all
Usually lighting is something Disney does quite well with. They often use really unique and interesting fixtures in their parks and resorts. But these just look bad - like some sort of DIY attempt at creative lighting gone wrong. This is like the light fixture equivalent of the ill-fated shrimp casserole at Ohana. I can't imagine something that cheap looking working anywhere on property. That's why I still wonder if these are temporary placeholders while waiting for something that is on backorder.

castlecake2.0

Usually lighting is something Disney does quite well with. They often use really unique and interesting fixtures in their parks and resorts. But these just look bad - like some sort of DIY attempt at creative lighting gone wrong. This is like the light fixture equivalent of the ill-fated shrimp casserole at Ohana. I can't imagine something that cheap looking working anywhere on property. That's why I still wonder if these are temporary placeholders while waiting for something that is on backorder.
Il really hoping that’s what it is. Even the netting looks cheap.

TrojanUSC

I’m also Team Cream

It’s not so much the color, it’s the complete lack of theming. If Disney did this 15-20 years ago, everything would be sculpted to look like fake wood. The cement pillars would have lava rock or some type or covering.

One of these looks like the porté cochere to a gorgeous well-themed resort, while the other like an outdoor events pavilion at a municipal park that is hosting luau night.

19B13260-85FA-4A9E-AE0B-1F5FEB1805D4.jpeg

23BE789A-B9A8-48A8-A7D4-7C66DCDE79F4.jpeg

Perhaps they just moved the Mickey’s Backyard BBQ pavilion over?

E32CE1A0-A5C4-45B5-B662-8502E51D96B1.png

Last edited:

Clamman73

It’s not so much the color, it’s the complete lack of theming. If Disney did this 15-20 years ago, everything would be sculpted to look like fake wood. The cement pillars would have lava rock or some type or covering.

One of these looks like the porté cochere to a gorgeous well-themed resort, while the other like an outdoor events pavilion at a municipal park that is hosting luau night.

View attachment 586791
Lol Disney’s joking if this is permanent. Those things belong in Storybook Circus

Sir_Cliff

What about that photo says Deluxe Resort???
This is a big part of what really puzzles me about the quality of this work. If it was for a value resort, it would cause more than a raised eyebrow that Disney was trying to pass this off as theming. This, though, is one of their most expensive deluxe resorts. It may even be their most expensive at times; when I last went to WDW we stayed at Grand Floridian in part because it was so much cheaper than the Polynesian! It really shows what they think the people paying their massive premiums will accept.

It's not like Disney doesn't or can't do quality theming anymore; they certainly can and do. There just seems to be very little quality control these days. From one project to the next, you never know what you're going to get and even within one project some parts can be highly themed and then others full of weird design choices that work against the theming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a big part of what really puzzles me about the quality of this work. If it was for a value resort, it would cause more than a raised eyebrow that Disney was trying to pass this off as theming. This, though, is one of their most expensive deluxe resorts. It may even be their most expensive at times; when I last went to WDW we stayed at Grand Floridian in part because it was so much cheaper than the Polynesian! It really shows what they think the people paying their massive premiums will accept.

It's not like Disney doesn't or can't do quality theming anymore; they certainly can and do. There just seems to be very little quality control these days. From one project to the next, you never know what you're going to get and even within one project some parts can be highly themed and then others full of weird design choices that work against the theming.
It opened at like $29 a night. It was only “deluxe” when they slapped a label on it around 1989 👍🏻

As a DVC owner at the Polynesian, this better not be the final product.
Oh…but it is

JoeCamel

It opened at like $29 a night. It was only “deluxe” when they slapped a label on it around 1989 👍🏻

Oh…but it is
Compared to motel 6 the price alone would have made it a deluxe. That was the experience of most of middle america so this was amazing when they came.
Can't get away with that today unless you get 'em drunk on pixie dust first

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Compared to motel 6 the price alone would have made it a deluxe. That was the experience of most of middle america so this was amazing when they came.
Can't get away with that today unless you get 'em drunk on pixie dust first

prices go up…especially if you’re willing to pay more and more each year for “mystique and aura”

…which I believe curt schilling once referred to as “just two dancers at the bar”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom