Pelican’s Landing

TP2000

The Louisiana flag is a pelican feeding her babies.
View attachment 584109

I have no time or need or interest to be cynical about this change. I hope they have a carved statue of a pelican, or even an animatronic one, somewhere in this area. I think that'd be a nice touch.

Ah, so it is! I don't remember the flag per se, but I do remember highway welcome signs being branded with pelicans whenever I drove across that state. I lived in suburban Houston for a bit decades ago, but never really explored Louisiana. I went to New Orleans once and it was just sort of dirty and decayed and fading, and the sidewalk outside my rather spendy French Quarter hotel smelled distinctly of urine.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a pelican animatronic, but who knows?

2414416659_47dd87180e_b.jpg

Would you look at that.. Disney IS capable of giving us something new without an IP attachment. I'll be darned.

Ha! That's a great point.

Although, I was laughing at us here just now realizing that this is not a new restaurant. Not even a new snack bar. They are simply rebuilding the rotted out old keelboat dock and expanding the patio for the existing Harbor Galley snack bar.

And to prove how silly this is, the OC Register is reporting on this on their front page now. Because God knows there's absolutely nothing else going on in the world today. :rolleyes:

Brady McDonald has taken a break from consoling his crying wife out at the Disneyland Guest Services window to file this breaking report...

Disneyland is adding a multi-level waterfront dining area across from the Haunted Mansion in New Orleans Square with a view of the boats traveling along the Rivers of America that is expected to be open in time for the Christmas holiday season.

Harbour Galley is adding an upper and lower seating area called Pelican’s Landing as part of a new dock structure, according to Disneyland officials. Pelican’s Landing is expected to open later this year.

A new sign posted on a construction wall next to the Harbour Galley quick service seafood restaurant in Critter Country says Pelican’s Landing is coming soon, according to Laughing Place. Tan tarps surround the construction area along the Rivers of America next to the New Orleans Square launch for the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island.

“These docks are currently unavailable for mooring,” reads a notice posted on the construction wall. “Be sure to navigate this way on a future excursion.”

The Harbour Galley remains open for dining during construction. The sea shanty eatery on the banks of the Rivers of America serves lobster roll sandwiches ($15) and clam chowder in a bread bowl ($11.50).

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Who said this? Not Disney as they haven't stated much about this project, other than its part of a new dock structure.

Sounds like speculation from a blog or YouTube....
The original poster said the backstory Disney is more than likely go with ties directly to Princess and The Frog from the source article.

TP2000

Which is speculation not confirmation. So no no one has really said this is actually tied back to Tiana or any other IP.

Agreed that this is speculation.

It's been years since I saw that movie, and I LOVED that show they did that summer with the Mark Twain (one of the best things Disneyland's entertainment department has done this century, besides Viva Navidad!). But I don't remember any pelicans in that movie. I remember a talking alligator, and of course the frogs. But pelicans? I don't remember pelicans at all.

Only watch this video if you don't have downstairs neighbors who will be upset by your happy feet. (FYI, no pelicans in this show.)

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Agreed that this is speculation.

It's been years since I saw that movie, and I LOVED that show they did that summer with the Mark Twain (one of the best things Disneyland's entertainment department has done this century, besides Viva Navidad!). But I don't remember any pelicans in that movie. I remember a talking alligator, and of course the frogs. But pelicans? I don't remember pelicans at all.

Only watch this video if you don't have downstairs neighbors who will be upset by your happy feet. (FYI, no pelicans in this show.)

Wow, that was great!

Disneyland Entertainment's best stuff is the stuff that can literally only happen at Disneyland, like this. Makes me wish they'd utilize the Columbia for daytime pirate shows.

el_super

Correct me if I’m wrong, it’s been years since I’ve been to Disneyland, but it would be a very poor spot for Fantasmic, would it not?

Most of it, but not all. The keel boat dock is right on the edge of where the mist projector is, and would probably offer a pretty good view. Back in the way back times, it used to be one of those little secret spots to get a good view of Fantasmic without waiting for hours and hours, since you could sneak up from the Critter Country side when the crowds were mostly in Frontierland.

But that's just the small corner where the Keel Boat dock is. From the rest of it, the view probably wouldn't be so good.

fantasmic_dock.png

wdrive

Most of it, but not all. The keel boat dock is right on the edge of where the mist projector is, and would probably offer a pretty good view. Back in the way back times, it used to be one of those little secret spots to get a good view of Fantasmic without waiting for hours and hours, since you could sneak up from the Critter Country side when the crowds were mostly in Frontierland.

But that's just the small corner where the Keel Boat dock is. From the rest of it, the view probably wouldn't be so good.

View attachment 585097

If I was paying for Fantasmic I’d want a head on view.

Saying that, they have up charges for more ridiculous things so paying for a side view of Fantasmic shouldn’t be a surprise anymore.

TP2000

Five Fires speculated that this could become a dedicated pay seating area for Fantasmic, when it returns, or perhaps the Holiday Fireworks.

They could charge maybe five bucks at most. It's not a good view. Not good at all.

Correct me if I’m wrong, it’s been years since I’ve been to Disneyland, but it would be a very poor spot for Fantasmic, would it not?

As @el_super so nicely displayed, it's an awkward angle.

But it's not just the angle for what's happening on the river, it's the angle that displays the stagecraft and secrets happening on the stage itself. The way the lighting is set up and the way that stage works, whenever I've watched Fantasmic! from on or just behind that keelboat dock you get a magic-killing view of the action from the stagehands and actors rushing on and off scene.

I find that sort of behind the scenes look fascinating myself, but then I'm not a tourist who spent a fortune to bring his wife and kids all the way from Boise to have Fantasmic! secrets ruined for an upcharged seat on the moldy old keelboat dock, er.. nicotine stained smoking dock, um... Pelican's Landing.

But what do I know? The way they are going now with their attention to showmanship and dress codes, I'm sure they'll upcharge for seats on this dock and not care one whit that it's a crummy view of stagehands dragging princesses and mice around in the dark.

Heck, Fantasmic! hasn't peformed in over a year and a half. There's likely an entire generation of new TDA suits and Dockers-clad park managers that have no idea this is a crummy view.

All while they work on finishing touches for a $59 Pelican's Landing Fantasmic! Magic Terrace+ that includes a folding chair, a packet of Carnation instant hot cocoa in a plastic cup, and a cardboard box with three cookies, five grapes, and a chocolate covered strawberry.

DrAlice

All while they work on finishing touches for a $59 Pelican's Landing Fantasmic! Magic Terrace+ that includes a folding chair, a packet of Carnation instant hot cocoa in a plastic cup, and a cardboard box with three cookies, five grapes, and a chocolate covered strawberry.
This is so accurate, it hurts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom