Pelican’s Landing

SSG

Original Poster
From MiceChat @MiceChat: "The construction next to Harbour Galley at #Disneyland has been officially named. It will be called Pelican’s Landing. It looks like it might be for additional seating.

"
p1.jpg
p 2.jpg

Anticipated Back Story: An abandoned New Orleans fishing dock plays host to Tiana and the Gang!

Last edited:

mickEblu

From MiceChat @MiceChat: "The construction next to Harbour Galley at #Disneyland has been officially named. It will be called Pelican’s Landing. It looks like it might be for additional seating.

"View attachment 583923View attachment 583924

Anticipated Back Story: An abandoned New Orleans fishing village plays host to Tiana and the Gang!

I can’t tell. Are they expanding into the River? Like they did with the path to GE?

el_super

I can’t tell. Are they expanding into the River? Like they did with the path to GE?

They can't expand too far into the river due to the maint track for the dry dock.

If I were to just guess, they are probably taking the space of the former keel boat dock all the way up to Harbor Galley and leveling it out in order to accommodate additional seating/dining.

They've had temporary seating along the river since they reopened in May, but if they ever want to have a nighttime spectacular come back, they will need to relocate that seating.

Sailor310

"View attachment 583923View attachment 583924

Anticipated Back Story: An abandoned New Orleans fishing village plays host to Tiana and the Gang!
....and you get the immersive experience of pretending to be one of the fishermen!

smooch

I was there when the sign was getting painted. I remember a time when Disneyland wouldn't paint during park hours but that's a different conversation-

View attachment 583993
Interesting. Maybe they viewed it as an entertainment option. Not gonna lie I love calligraphy and that sort of stuff and have binge watched people doing custom painting of signs for windows of store, so I would stop and watch for a bit if I saw this in the parks. But then again I have some pretty weird / niche interests so that's just me. I would prefer they didn't have someone out openly painting during park hours, is it really that important they couldn't just have them come in in the evening after closing?

waltography

Interesting. Maybe they viewed it as an entertainment option. Not gonna lie I love calligraphy and that sort of stuff and have binge watched people doing custom painting of signs for windows of store, so I would stop and watch for a bit if I saw this in the parks. But then again I have some pretty weird / niche interests so that's just me. I would prefer they didn't have someone out openly painting during park hours, is it really that important they couldn't just have them come in in the evening after closing?
I don't think it's niche at all; there are lots of calligraphy/sign-painting compilations posted across social media so lots of people find it satisfying for sure. I don't know if the Pelican's Landing sign warrants it, but if for example they had the CM who painted the florals by Snow White's exit doing so during park hours, I wouldn't mind at all - it'd be like watching the candy makers make candy through the window.

Rich T

I don't think it's niche at all; there are lots of calligraphy/sign-painting compilations posted across social media so lots of people find it satisfying for sure. I don't know if the Pelican's Landing sign warrants it, but if for example they had the CM who painted the florals by Snow White's exit doing so during park hours, I wouldn't mind at all - it'd be like watching the candy makers make candy through the window.
No it’s niche. Awesome, but niche. Like being interested in theme park design. There are also books, social media, documentaries and more about Tintype photography, Beard Competitions, Venomous Reptile Breeding, and just about anything else under the sun. Technology has made it possible for nearly every hobby, talent and career to find an audience, which is fantastic, but it takes unique, rare circumstances to bring a niche interest like (for example) Alaskan Crab Fishing into mainstream consciousness.

VJ

I was there when the sign was getting painted. I remember a time when Disneyland wouldn't paint during park hours but that's a different conversation-
yeah! they should've put a construction wall in front of him for the hour he took to paint it and then removed it when he was done

/s

TP2000

Is it just me, or does the name Pelican's Landing seem kind of dumb?

What does it have to do with New Orleans Square, other than there are pelicans in Louisiana. (If I remember right, they have a big pelican on their Welcome to Louisiana sign along Interstate 20 after you cross the river.)

This dock will sit right next to the Columbia. It seems like a more fitting and themed name could have been found that played up the Columbia angle, or the tall ships angle, or the tall ships docked in New Orleans angle. Or some angle.

Pelican's Landing sounds like a 1970's snack bar at Sea World.

But then, I'm probably over thinking it. 🧐

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is it just me, or does the name Pelican's Landing seem kind of dumb?

What does it have to do with New Orleans Square, other than there are pelicans in Louisiana. (If I remember right, they have a big pelican on their Welcome to Louisiana sign along Interstate 20 after you cross the river.)

This dock will sit right next to the Columbia. It seems like a more fitting and themed name could have been found that played up the Columbia angle, or the tall ships angle, or the tall ships docked in New Orleans angle. Or some angle.

Pelican's Landing sounds like a 1970's snack bar at Sea World.

But then, I'm probably over thinking it. 🧐
Well I don't know if this is the basis for the name, but Pelican's Landing is the name of a real waterfront fishing community right next to New Orleans.

TP2000

Here's how close this Pelican's Landing (former keelboat loading) dock is to the Columbia harbor. A 1990's Keelboat captain pushes off the next group of river explorers just before he uses the pole to push himself back onto the dock to round up the next group.

Cal-OSHA would like to speak to him and his Dockers-clad manager... 😁

107719083-768427947030443-5590949782066096588-n___16184106780.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom