Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Animaniac93-98

Lightning Lane is pretty bad - I know we’re supposed to think of the Cars character, but I’m a Disney fan and the connection took me a bit. Why not just leave it as Fastpass, an accepted, recognized name associated with Disney?

I guess anything that's over 20 years old stops being "timeless, relevant and Disney"...

Club Cooloholic

If buying Lightning Lane access resort guests can book two passes at 7am, before everyone else.

All resort guests get into every park 30 minutes early, every day.

High level resort guests get Evening Magic Hours twice a week.
What is a high level resort? Deluxe? That is pretty good but personally the half hour in the morning stinks.

relic827

If buying Lightning Lane access resort guests can book two passes at 7am, before everyone else.

Do resort guests also get first dibs on the individual attraction purchases?

Wendy Pleakley

What is a high level resort? Deluxe? That is pretty good but personally the half hour in the morning stinks.

I personally am optimistic about the morning access.

Early Magic Hours were often to be avoided, because they were at one park and drew crowds. It usually made more sense to go elsewhere.

Now it's in my interest to take advantage every day. 30 minutes isn't a lot but that means potentially getting one main attraction in while non-resort guests are still waiting to get in.

Someone did the math somewhere, but while Evening Magic Hours are now better for those accessing them, are they worth the price? It's something like at least $200 more per night to stay Deluxe, so getting four hours of EMH in a week costs $1400. Better to stay in a moderate resort and buy After Hours tickets for example (ignoring the other reasons people may prefer deluxe accommodations).

Chip Chipperson

My other issue, and if I am reading this wrong, someone correct me, but is there now zero incentive to stay onsite?

The incentives (once they go live) will be the 30-minute early morning access each day (all resort guests) and 2-hour extra evening hours some nights (Deluxe resort guests only) plus the ability to buy the non-Genie+ Individual Attraction Selections at 7 AM before the parks open (think Rise, Rat, FoP as examples). But that's pretty much it aside from being able to take Disney transportation from your resort to the parks and back again. You can also book dining for the length of your stay once you're 60 days out from your arrival. It's certainly less than we got before and may even be worthless to many.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lightning Lane is pretty bad - I know we’re supposed to think of the Cars character, but I’m a Disney fan and the connection took me a bit. Why not just leave it as Fastpass, an accepted, recognized name associated with Disney?
I'm not sure they're connecting it to Lightning McQueen. None of graphic design I've seen indicates that.

Surprisingly.

GimpYancIent

Sooooo simply put. No incentive. None of the mentioned remotely fall into the category of incentive.

ParentsOf4

Disney has stated they want to control crowds to maintain a good guest experience. That's why annual passes are pricey and now come with a reservation system.
Disney already has a way to control crowds. It's called Park Pass.

If Disney really wanted to control crowds in order to "maintain a good guest experience", they could set Park Pass to whatever levels they want. Instead, they increased the number of Park Passes even as COVID surged in Florida.

Let's see what's really going on here.
  • Disney ended the free FastPass+ and replaced it with a cash system that could cost Guests $50 or more per person per day.
  • Disney ended Extra Magic Hours, and is limiting its replacement to Deluxe Resort Guests only, and only (it appears) for the 2 slowest nights of the week in an effort to boost Deluxe Resort occupancy.
  • Disney is ending Disney's Magical Express to reduce its costs. (Seriously, how does this remotely "maintain a good guest experience?")
  • Disney charges for hotel parking, when it used to be included in the price of the hotel. (This improves Guest experience how?)
  • Disney raised hotel rack rates by about a total of 30% over the last few years.
  • Disney is offering no hotel discounts after September.
  • Disney now charges for MagicBands, something that used to be included in the price of an onsite stay. (Yes, Guests love paying for something they used to get for free.)
  • Disney has closed numerous shows and meet & greets, and is only slowly bringing these back, yet is still charging full price for tickets.
  • Disney increased annual pass prices by 25% for the very reason CEO Bob Chapek explicitly stated earlier this year:
Things like annual pass. There's probably no better example here than annual pass, where it's a legacy system, and people keep signing up year after year after year, which may or may not play into your yield management strategy in an ideal way. So we had a chance to thoughtfully and thoroughly reconsider that.

Disney doesn't give a hoot about "controlling crowds" or a "good guest experience."

The only thing corporate Disney cares about is money.

runnsally

Disney already has a way to control crowds. It's called Park Pass.

If Disney really wanted to control crowds in order to "maintain a good guest experience", they could set Park Pass to whatever levels they want. Instead, they increased the number of Park Passes even as COVID surged in Florida.

Let's see what's really going on here.
  • Disney ended the free FastPass+ and replaced it with a cash system that could cost Guests $50 or more per person per day.
  • Disney ended Extra Magic Hours, and is limiting its replacement to Deluxe Resort Guests only, and only (it appears) for the 2 slowest nights of the week in an effort to boost Deluxe Resort occupancy.
  • Disney is ending Disney's Magical Express to reduce its costs. (Seriously, how does this remotely "maintain a good guest experience?")
  • Disney charges for hotel parking, when it used to be included in the price of the hotel. (This improves Guest experience how?)
  • Disney raised hotel rack rates by about a total of 30% over the last few years.
  • Disney is offering no hotel discounts after September.
  • Disney now charges for MagicBands, something that used to be included in the price of an onsite stay. (Yes, Guests love paying for something they used to get for free.)
  • Disney has closed numerous shows and meet & greets, and is only slowly bringing these back, yet is still charging full price for tickets.
  • Disney increased annual pass prices by 25% for the very reason CEO Bob Chapek explicitly stated earlier this year:
Things like annual pass. There's probably no better example here than annual pass, where it's a legacy system, and people keep signing up year after year after year, which may or may not play into your yield management strategy in an ideal way. So we had a chance to thoughtfully and thoroughly reconsider that.

Disney doesn't give a hoot about "controlling crowds" or a "good guest experience."

The only thing corporate Disney cares about is money.
100%. Anyone with a guest services complaint about future crowds should start with this.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom