WDW Resorts Reopening Thread

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Some one at Disney resorts is thinking. Hey! Can not fully book the higher priced resorts so comp people booking at the lower priced resorts w "upgrades" to the higher priced resorts. A - artificially lowering prices w/o lowering prices. B - the guests will feel special and feel they received a touch of "Magic". C - allow more people to book the lower priced resorts because more rooms will be available. D - give the appearance guests actually feel good booking the higher priced resorts rather than other accommodations.
This! 👆👆

I used to run a hotel and I would upgrade guests to suites that I knew wouldn't sell that night to open up more lower priced rooms that would sell out. A win/win situation. I get great reviews from happy guests and sell more rooms. Empty rooms don't make any money.

CaptainAmerica

With the talk of some Guests cancelling their October stays / trips for various reasons ( Covid spike in FL being one ) , is it possible one of the reasons for the 'upgrades' happening for some is to entice them to stay and not cancel?

If I was thinking of cancelling a trip/ stay at a Resort, I might be less inclined to if I was suddenly offered a 'sweeter deal' ...as in, a nicer place to stay.
Hearing these stories of folks getting 'upgraded' from a Value Resort to a Deluxe made the thought cross my mind.

-

Also helps get more people in the park for extra magic hours
No. It's a staffing issue, full stop.

CaptainAmerica

This! 👆👆

I used to run a hotel and I would upgrade guests to suites that I knew wouldn't sell that night to open up more lower priced rooms that would sell out. A win/win situation. I get great reviews from happy guests and sell more rooms. Empty rooms don't make any money.
During normal times, you're right, but these aren't normal times. Demand for October is through the roof and Disney can't hire staff fast enough. There are no unsold rooms, there are rooms coming offline because Disney doesn't have the Labor to support them.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
During normal times, you're right, but these aren't normal times. Demand for October is through the roof and Disney can't hire staff fast enough. There are no unsold rooms, there are rooms coming offline because Disney doesn't have the Labor to support them.

I noticed this today. I have been checking multiple times a day for availability for 10/1-10/3 because I have park passes that weekend and am considering making a weekend staycation of it. Until this morning, with the exception of Pop, Movies, and Caribbean, almost every resort had availability (at an astronomical amount, but still). This morning when I checked there was suddenly two resorts left showing availability- AKL and SSR. There’s no way there was a sudden run on rooms overnight. I’m sure they had to be taken offline due to inadequate staffing.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Sorry, not buying the staffing issue line.

arich35

Well that doesn't make any sense. If demand was through the room and there are no unsold rooms how can people be upgraded to a different resort?

drnilescrane

Yeah, labor might be a small part of it but I’m telling you Disney has been massively overselling All Star Movies and the Coronado tower. Those are attractive price points for the guests choosing to come at this time.

Those guests are getting surprised and delighted into *cough* grander *cough* hotels that are probably a tad overpriced but Disney can’t discount lest they dilute the rates that the people who actually book there are paying.

Revenue management is smart enough to account for this. What’s available for sale on WDW.com isn’t an accurate view into what’s actually sold. It’s a game to get you to pay the most within your price range.

dreday3

Yeah, labor might be a small part of it but I’m telling you Disney has been massively overselling All Star Movies and the Coronado tower. Those are attractive price points for the guests choosing to come at this time.

Those guests are getting surprised and delighted into *cough* grander *cough* hotels that are probably a tad overpriced but Disney can’t discount lest they dilute the rates that the people who actually book there are paying.

Revenue management is smart enough to account for this. What’s available for sale on WDW.com isn’t an accurate view into what’s actually sold. It’s a game to get you to pay the most within your price range.

It was the only report I read about CSR. No one has gotten a call.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What on earth are you basing that on?

staffing is an issue…however You’re twisting the reality.

demand will not be “Through the roof” this fall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People seem amped up that the 50th anniversary will be "a thing" rather than just a marketing campaign.
In normal times…but this is not.

it’s a vacation place…in the end. For all the people that talk that way around here…that’s a fraction of travelers that have to “fill the place” for the year…even on property hotels are just a part.

so I was at DAKL and they were at about 35%….total. One of the managers I chatted with said it would take “months” to get up to 75% and that was assuming “improving travel environment”. (His words…not mine)

it will come. Its not here.

the July spike was 100% covid quarantine fever…it seems everyone assumed April would be the end. Didn’t turn out so…

part is definitely staffing…but that was 100% because the Bobs gambled with their labor and loss. But miscalculation. I’ve heard that here as well: “people didn’t come back”…which is what happens when you leave…you don’t come back.

they screwed that doggie but good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom