News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

RoadiJeff

Seasoned rental car renters, what’s the cheapest I could expect to rent a car for a family of 5 for 6 nights (Tuesday-Tuesday) in early May?

I’m trying to determine if the cost would be THAT much more than the Mears (which if I book right now is $120, but will probably go up before our trip), but I don’t have much experience with rental cars.
I am thinking about a solo trip to WDW in October, staying there for 7 days. While I still haven't decided on whether I am going, I also haven't decided on whether I would fly or drive. It's 15.5 hours each way to drive but I would stop and visit a few friends along the way if I do that.

Anyway, if I fly I would rent a car. The least expensive option I've found so far is through Trivago at $316.17 for a Nissan Altima or equivalent for 7 days. Also, I would stay offsite. There are plenty of good hotels within 10 minutes of WDW that do not have a daily parking fee. Shop around.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Did ME really take your luggage off the carousel? Why do not I not remember this? I remember walking with luggage to the ME waiting area and they take your luggage from you and the next time you see it is in your room. It was still pretty quick and convenient. I have no recollection they actually took it off the carousel for you.
Are you from the US? Maybe you just never used the yellow tags.

International visitors have to collect luggage anyway because of customs. (Though you could put it back on if you wanted).

Waters Back Side

Are you from the US? Maybe you just never used the yellow tags.

International visitors have to collect luggage anyway because of customs. (Though you could put it back on if you wanted).

Yeah I'm from the US. I realized it was probably because we only took carry on luggage on our trips and never needed it taken off the carousel. Or I simply forgot lol.

RememberWhen

Seasoned rental car renters, what’s the cheapest I could expect to rent a car for a family of 5 for 6 nights (Tuesday-Tuesday) in early May?

I’m trying to determine if the cost would be THAT much more than the Mears (which if I book right now is $120, but will probably go up before our trip), but I don’t have much experience with rental cars.
Car rentals are all quite high at the moment. We have a minivan booked for our vacation in February. It’s Budget, booked through Costco. $735 with taxes. We’ll have it just over a week. Pick up is a Friday, drop off is a Sunday. We made sure to find something that we could cancel without penalties. We used https://www.autoslash.com/ to find rates.

po1998

I am thinking about a solo trip to WDW in October, staying there for 7 days. While I still haven't decided on whether I am going, I also haven't decided on whether I would fly or drive. It's 15.5 hours each way to drive but I would stop and visit a few friends along the way if I do that.

Anyway, if I fly I would rent a car. The least expensive option I've found so far is through Trivago at $316.17 for a Nissan Altima or equivalent for 7 days. Also, I would stay offsite. There are plenty of good hotels within 10 minutes of WDW that do not have a daily parking fee. Shop around.
You sure that includes all taxes? That seems extremely low for a week long rental due to covid(fleet reduction). The norm is more in the range of 500-600 and up

RoadiJeff

You sure that includes all taxes? That seems extremely low for a week long rental due to covid(fleet reduction). The norm is more in the range of 500-600 and up
Well, prices change daily and when I checked again just now the lowest price I could find for the same dates for a Nissan Altima for 7 days through Trivago is $345.56. That doesn't include the optional collision insurance and there is a mileage penalty if driven over 1,050 miles during the rental period. The price may go back down in a few days. I saw they have SUVs starting at $317 for the same time period.

Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 10-29-50 Cheap car hire Find best car deals worldwide locations - Boo...png

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

As others have done? My family has already dumped the failed ME service.

We have a very nice MEARS town car set up for our NOV 2021 trip. Nope, no luggage transfer - but a DIRECT to BRV ride, to and from :). It was always MEARS - even when ME existed :).

RoadiJeff

BTW, if you fly to MCO and rent a car, check out the Visitor Toll Pass. It's a free service, except for the discounted cost of any tolls, and you save the ridiculous extra fees most car rental companies charge for the daily use of their transponder that they charge you for, even if you do not drive through a toll booth each day.

I used the Visitor Toll Pass on a previous trip and it was great. No hidden fees or anything. At the time, it was supposedly a temporary service but it looks like it might have become a permanent thing.

Last edited:

witandwander

BTW, if you fly to MCO and rent a car, check out the Visitor Toll Pass. It's a free service, except for the discounted cost of any tolls, and you save the ridiculous extra fees most car rental companies charge for the daily use of their transponder that they charge you for, even if you do not drive through a toll booth each day.

I used the Visitor Toll Pass on a previous trip and it was great. No hidden fees or anything. At the time, it was supposedly a temporary service but it looks like it might have become a permanent thing.
I will check that out! Thanks!

So, I’m seeing a car for $245 for the week through Kayak, which says it includes taxes and fees. What am I missing? Are they going to charge me for a bunch of extra stuff once I get there?

Attachments

• 439FCBBB-EDD5-4633-9713-C8CBB7145897.png
    439FCBBB-EDD5-4633-9713-C8CBB7145897.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 15DE5330-CEFD-484A-BB45-263762E7CB8D.png
    15DE5330-CEFD-484A-BB45-263762E7CB8D.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 120

lewisc

I will check that out! Thanks!

So, I’m seeing a car for $245 for the week through Kayak, which says it includes taxes and fees. What am I missing? Are they going to charge me for a bunch of extra stuff once I get there?
you're renting from a neighborhood location. You have to get your own transportation to and from the location. The location closes at 5p M to F. 2p on Saturday and is closed Sunday If your flight is delayed you're out of luck

witandwander

you're renting from a neighborhood location. You have to get your own transportation to and from the location. The location closes at 5p M to F. 2p on Saturday and is closed Sunday If your flight is delayed you're out of luck
Ugh! Thank you so much. I knew I must be missing some reason it was so much cheaper.

lewisc

Neighborhood locations frequently charge based on calendar days, not clock days. Pick up a car at 4p.and return it at 9a the next morning. That's 2 calendar days

TransportationGuy

Neighborhood locations frequently charge based on calendar days, not clock days. Pick up a car at 4p.and return it at 9a the next morning. That's 2 calendar days
This is only accurate for insurance replacement rentals (ie after a crash) because that’s how insurance companies do all of their billing with repair facilities and third party insurance companies.

lewisc

This is only accurate for insurance replacement rentals (ie after a crash) because that’s how insurance companies do all of their billing with repair facilities and third party insurance companies.
I was quoted calendar day billing. I was paying. I was told customers who asked could pay a slightly higher rate for clock day biilling.

I have no idea if the PL quote is based on clock days or calendar days.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Car rentals are all quite high at the moment. We have a minivan booked for our vacation in February. It’s Budget, booked through Costco. $735 with taxes. We’ll have it just over a week. Pick up is a Friday, drop off is a Sunday. We made sure to find something that we could cancel without penalties. We used https://www.autoslash.com/ to find rates.
This is where the Minnie van service worked for us. We do need a car seat, and really only care about transportation to and from the airport... Minnie van both ways was around $300 and no resort parking fee. So far less than the above. Hope it returns.

RememberWhen

This is where the Minnie van service worked for us. We do need a car seat, and really only care about transportation to and from the airport... Minnie van both ways was around $300 and no resort parking fee. So far less than the above. Hope it returns.
I’d really love to see the Minnie Vans return too. We’ve got 2 kids in car seats, plus an older kid who is in a booster at home. Thus the mini van rental. While I’d really prefer not to drive, just calling an uber doesn’t seem like a reasonable option.

Touchdown

I can usually get my Alamo rental at $400-$600 range, I’m a bigger guy so compact just doesn’t work for me, full-size or larger. The secret is to book early, as soon as you got your plane tickets, sometimes that’s the best price, but 2-3 weeks before your trip it’s really important (after deleting all your cookies and not logging into your account) to check the prices again. I recently did this for my upcoming CA trip to DL and now have a full size SUV for $530.

The other bonus to having a car is that you can go to the grocery store on your way in, and when either leaving the property to go to another park or if you’re going somewhere with crummy bus service (DS, water parks) you can drive there yourself.

witandwander

I can usually get my Alamo rental at $400-$600 range, I’m a bigger guy so compact just doesn’t work for me, full-size or larger. The secret is to book early, as soon as you got your plane tickets, sometimes that’s the best price, but 2-3 weeks before your trip it’s really important (after deleting all your cookies and not logging into your account) to check the prices again. I recently did this for my upcoming CA trip to DL and now have a full size SUV for $530.

The other bonus to having a car is that you can go to the grocery store on your way in, and when either leaving the property to go to another park or if you’re going somewhere with crummy bus service (DS, water parks) you can drive there yourself.
I know! Groceries are a big deal. And we’re DVC, so we have free parking at the resorts. Last trip, we had a nightmare scenario where we were and hour late to our dinner reservation at O’Hana because we didn’t budget TWO HOURS to get from AKL to Poly on resort transportation. 🤦‍♀️ I’d love to not get stuck in that situation again.

Touchdown

I know! Groceries are a big deal. And we’re DVC, so we have free parking at the resorts. Last trip, we had a nightmare scenario where we were and hour late to our dinner reservation at O’Hana because we didn’t budget TWO HOURS to get from AKL to Poly on resort transportation. 🤦‍♀️ I’d love to not get stuck in that situation again.
Oof, Poly should have been easy with being able to catch the monorail from MK and Epcot too. This is why I don’t stay at AKL, I prefer the monorail resorts first (I go to MK and Epcot the most) and crescent lake/WL as backups.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Transportation Management Services (TMS) has announced the launch of The Sunshine Flyer, a themed motorcoach bus experience that will transport guests from the Orlando International Airport (MCO) to Walt Disney World Resort.

The Sunshine Flyer’s buses are late-model, premium motorcoaches with themes that center around old-fashioned passenger cars and train engines. From the design of the buses, to the staff dressed as 1920s rail conductors and engineers, the Sunshine Flyer serves as a unique time machine, offering a glimpse into 1920s rail travel.

“We’re incredibly excited to launch The Sunshine Flyer and give Disney guests the chance to kickstart their vacation with a fun, unique travel experience,” said Frank Sherman, CEO of TMS. “Everyone knows the magic of Disney once they’re inside the park gates. But, through The Sunshine Flyer, we’re able to give guests the chance to start their vacation from the minute they step off the plane and turn what used to be a procedural drive into the beginning of an adventure to remember.”

The buses will service all Disney resorts and are complete with a bathroom onboard, USB chargers and three-point seatbelts for the comfort and safety of all guests. Ahead of travel, guests will book their tickets online and receive a QR code that they will scan once they arrive at MCO. The Sunshine Flyer will begin service from MCO on Feb. 1, 2022."

"To celebrate Disney’s 50th anniversary, The Sunshine Flyer will donate 50% of all revenue from the first 50,000 passengers during the first 50 days of business to Make-A-Wish Central & Northern Florida. As part of The Sunshine Flyer’s commitment to giving back, all Make-A-Wish children and their families will receive complimentary service for their Disney wish trips indefinitely."

"Tickets for the new transportation option must be booked at least four days ahead of arrival, and are priced at $17 per adult and $12.50 per child each way."

Here's a video Sunshine flyer has released -

And their website -

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom