News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

SSG

I worked for a company once that required physicals and blood tests. Your cost of insurance depended directly on the results. In many ways, I felt that was unfair because you can't help your genes. But if you choose not to get preventative care, perhaps that is a different story.
Insurance companies have been doing similar things for ages. Smokers pay higher rates, while enrolling in exercise and wellness programs can lower them. Some insurers won't cover injuries if you were doing something illegal at the time. It's a short jump from there to not cover/charge more for those who won't get a shot that mitigates the vast majority of COVID's bad effects.

TP2000

Insurance companies have been doing similar things for ages. Smokers pay higher rates, while enrolling in exercise and wellness programs can lower them. Some insurers won't cover injuries if you were doing something illegal at the time. It's a short jump from there to not cover/charge more for those who won't get a shot that mitigates the vast majority of COVID's bad effects.

Many USA employers have stopped hiring smokers entirely, both private companies and government agencies.

I smoked socially when I was young and up until many decades ago. I still put out a couple nice ashtrays and marble lighters at big parties, when a guest or two might want to take them out on the patio or deck for a smoke. But I think it's entirely appropriate for an employer to not hire smokers; it's just economics at this point.

Quite frankly, I think it would be smart if employers did the same thing with the chronically obese. Obesity is the leading cause of death in Covid patients, amonth other diseases. MSNBC said the other day that in the USA in the last 18 months 78% of Covid deaths were patients who were obese. That's a key driver of dying with Covid; obesity. Obesity is a killer in general, but Covid is brutal with obesity.

TP2000

In my little data dump yesterday, I forgot to add the current vaccination rates for the big SoCal counties. LA County still lags OC and San Diego.

Here's the latest stats as of August 24th...

San Diego County: 60.0% Fully Vaccinated
Orange County: 57.7% Fully Vaccinated
Los Angeles County: 55.8% Fully Vaccinated

Here's the Covid hospitilization rate for Orange County (Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm) for the past 18 months, which I thought was interesting.

OC hospitalizations.png

And here's the current caseload for Orange County for this summer on a daily basis. The Delta variant that is so popular in the media appears to have peaked in OC three weeks ago and is now on a downward slide...

OC cases.png

And then here's how this summer compares to the caseload of the last 18 months in Orange County, using a weekly basis...

OC cases (1).png

Last edited:

SSG

Many USA employers have stopped hiring smokers entirely, both private companies and government agencies.

I smoked socially when I was young and up until many decades ago. I still put out a couple nice ashtrays and marble lighters at big parties, when a guest or two might want to take them out on the patio or deck for a smoke. But I think it's entirely appropriate for an employer to not hire smokers; it's just economics at this point.

Quite frankly, I think it would be smart if employers did the same thing with the chronically obese. Obesity is the leading cause of death in Covid patients, amonth other diseases. MSNBC said the other day that in the USA in the last 18 months 78% of Covid deaths were patients who were obese. That's a key driver of dying with Covid; obesity. Obesity is a killer in general, but Covid is brutal with obesity.
I hope my company doesn't find out about that cigar I have while BBQ-ing.

Last edited:

TP2000

My workplace does not mandate masks or require vaccines. The same applies to all stores and restaurants in my area. Honestly, I forget there are still people who have to deal with all these regulations. For most of the country, Covid's been over for several months.

I entertained several groups of people last week from out of state, but all who live west of the Rockies. They said the same thing, and marveled at California's ability to keep this going via the local media and virtue signaling. We got a good laugh out of it all.

There is a huge difference between LA County and OC and San Diego however, and people south of LA are letting it go and getting on with life while many in LA still cling to masks and fear in general. It's really fascinating to watch.

What's very different about this summer though is the complete hands-off approach coming from Sacramento; it's really just up to your local county and their political bent in general. Thus, the big difference between Orange County and nieghboring LA County.

Sacramento will return to service, in one capacity or another, after September 14th.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I entertained several groups of people last week from out of state, but all who live west of the Rockies. They said the same thing, and marveled at California's ability to keep this going via the local media and virtue signaling. We got a good laugh out of it all.

There is a huge difference between LA County and OC and San Diego however, and people south of LA are letting it go and getting on with life while many in LA still cling to masks and fear in general. It's really fascinating to watch.

What's very different about this summer though is the complete hands-off approach coming from Sacramento; it's really just up to your local county and their political bent in general. Thus, the big difference between Orange County and nieghboring LA County.

Sacramento will return to service, in one capacity or another, after September 14th.
Actually it does appear that OC does have a mask mandate in place but just doesn't publicize it well:

Masking Requirements.

Masks are required for all individuals in the following indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status:

• On public transit (examples: airplanes, ships, ferries, trains, subways, buses, taxis, and ride-shares) and in transportation hubs (examples: airport, bus terminal, marina, train station, seaport or other port, subway station, or any other area that provides transportation)
  • Indoors in K-12 schools, childcare
  • Emergency shelters [4] and cooling centers

Masks are required for all individuals, in the following indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status (and surgical masks are recommended):

• Healthcare settings
  • State and local correctional facilities and detention centers
  • Homeless shelters
  • Long Term Care Settings & Adult and Senior Care Facilities

Additionally, masks are required for unvaccinated individuals in indoor public settings and businesses (examples: retail, restaurants, theaters, family entertainment centers, meetings, state and local government offices serving the public).

TP2000

Actually it does appear that OC does have a mask mandate in place but just doesn't publicize it well:

Masking Requirements.

That's always been in place since 2020. It boils down to buses, jails, public schools, and hospitals; a very small minority of indoor spaces in OC. But a trip to Target or South Coast Plaza or Knott's Berry Farm or a restaurant doesn't require a mask in OC.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's always been in place since 2020. It boils down to buses, jails, public schools, and hospitals; a very small minority of indoor spaces in OC. But a trip to Target or South Coast Plaza or Knott's Berry Farm or a restaurant doesn't require a mask in OC.
It was updated on August 20th to include the following which applies to ALL indoor businesses:

Additionally, masks are required for unvaccinated individuals in indoor public settings and businesses (examples: retail, restaurants, theaters, family entertainment centers, meetings, state and local government offices serving the public).

Now whether they follow it or not is a different question, but there is a mask mandate in OC.

TP2000

I will say, as I'm about to head into town for a pedicure/manicure at a small women-owned business, that I am thrilled with Sacramento's hands-off approach this summer. No businesses are being shut down arbitrarily, no mandates preventing outdoor dining while the help in the kitchen continue to work in close quarters for UberEats orders, no industries are being shuttered.

Sacramento has either taken the entire summer off, or are too afraid to be attached to any mandate of any kind. The result in Summer 2021 is far more fair and equitable than it was in Summer 2020. That's some good news! :)

BuzzedPotatoHead89

As bad a reputation as OC gets I find the folks on the westside of LA to be just as “uppity” (if not more so) than your typical person in Huntington/Newport.

Let alone most middle and working class class folks on Brea, Orange, Anaheim/Santa Ana, San Juan Capistrano, etc.

…And this coming from someone who was born in the San Fernando Valley.

TP2000

It was updated on August 20th to include:

Sure. You just show your Federal Vaccine Card to the restaurant hostess who scans the card's QR code on her scanner and it automatically lets the restaurant know you are fully vaccinated and may be seated indoors.

Oh, wait... none of that exists. 🤣

Just like always, it's the honor system on vaccinated and not.

Orange County is highly vaccinated.

USA = 51.6% Fully Vaccinated
California = 54.6% Fully Vaccinated
LA County = 55.8% Fully Vaccinated
Orange County = 57.7% Fully Vaccinated

TP2000

The neighborhoods are nice, yes. Orange County is beautiful. The people, on the other hand…

All 3.3 Million people in OC? Every single person in a county of 3.3 Million?

Or just the botoxed real housewives in Newport Beach with a leased Mercedes, a triple-mortaged home, and a maxed out Nordstrom card? 🤣

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sure. You just show your Federal Vaccine Card to the restaurant hostess who scans the card's QR code on her scanner and it automatically lets the restaurant know you are fully vaccinated and may be seated indoors.

Oh, wait... none of that exists. 🤣

Just like always, it's the honor system on vaccinated and not.

Orange County is highly vaccinated.

USA = 51.6% Fully Vaccinated
California = 54.6% Fully Vaccinated
LA County = 55.8% Fully Vaccinated
Orange County = 57.7% Fully Vaccinated

Well if the following places in OC can require proof of vaccinations to be seated then surely Denny's can too:

Irvine Barclay Theatre, Musco Center for the Arts, Pacific Chorale, Pacific Symphony, Philharmonic Society of Orange County, Segerstrom Center for the Arts, Soka Performing Arts Center and South Coast Repertory

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom