Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtravel

Ah. But this list showcases legitimate, pier – reviewed studies. And it also includes a small list of studies that are not peer reviewed and faulty, with explanations as to why the information is incorrect.
As I said

For every 49 different studies, regarding types of face masks, masks for children, etc. you will find 49 studies saying the opposite. There lies one major problem. People will believe what they want. Human nature.

carolina_yankee

To be fair, it is a pretty tall order to expect young kids to rigorously adhere to proper masking at all times. However if they do it even half the time, and only for the next 30 days for example, its better than none. Kinda strange that while the pro-mask people keep saying correctly that masks are in no way a silver bullet, the anti-mask people say they will only wear them if they ARE a silver bullet. Of the two, which has the more realistic expectations?
It actually isn't a tall order. Kids are very literal. When they learn to do something properly, they can be better at it than adults. I've seen that with kids in our congregation. IN a culture where masking is expected, encouraged and accepted (such as here in NJ), kids pick it up pretty quickly. They also pick up on adult behavior - so if adults are having hissy fits over masks, so will kids.

DisneyDebRob

For every 49 different studies, regarding types of face masks, masks for children, etc. you will find 49 studies saying the opposite. There lies one major problem. People will believe what they want. Human nature.
That’s the problem in a nutshell. The FDA.. the CDC.. hundreds of medical institutions like the Mayo Clinic , to sites like sciencemag, nature, healthline and thousands of peer reviewed studies from across the globe are all in agreement of mask wearing works. Along with other mitigation it works even better.
The people who believe the government is out to get them or have far wing beliefs in the political area will find the 49 studies that you mention as proof that it doesn’t work. You can find studies and data from people still saying the world is flat.. there’s yetis roaming around us and ghosts and spirits are living next to us. But they aren’t peer reviewed.. they aren’t from science outlets.. but you can find them. Says a lot I think of the intelligence of a person who doesn’t look deeper and find the reputable places that are in our best interests.

Patcheslee

I never found them to be that gross, and I greatly preferred the current entry/exit to the old turnstyles. It shouldn't be a big deal, but just walking out of the park at the end of the day without having to go through a turnstyle was immensely pleasing to me.

Over the years, we have had the occasional finger won't scan or behind someone in the same boat, but that's been pretty rare and probably added at most a minute to our day (though it feels long int he moment).
We weren't grossed out till a CM told DD7 at the time to lick her finger and try again when it didn't read (2017). :oops:

correcaminos

Well that didn't take long. The media sucks for repeating stuff that places unnecessary doubt.
edit: my point is the article did not focus enough on how they got through it fast IMO. People will be like "OMG too fast" and dimiss.
We weren't grossed out till a CM told DD7 at the time to lick her finger and try again when it didn't read (2017). :oops:
Ewwwww... yeah and people wonder why I find them a little gross? Blech...

Patcheslee

Well that didn't take long. The media sucks for repeating stuff that places unnecessary doubt.

Ewwwww... yeah and people wonder why I find them a little gross? Blech...
Yeah, I was immediately on the "sanitize, scan, sanitize again". Kids put their hands everywhere.
On a funny side note DD12 got flagged flying out of MCO for the GSR screening in June. I told her it was a germ check to make sure she had washed her hands well in the bathroom . TSA lady just agreed with me and told her good job 😁

Heppenheimer

That’s the problem in a nutshell. The FDA.. the CDC.. hundreds of medical institutions like the Mayo Clinic , to sites like sciencemag, nature, healthline and thousands of peer reviewed studies from across the globe are all in agreement of mask wearing works. Along with other mitigation it works even better.
The people who believe the government is out to get them or have far wing beliefs in the political area will find the 49 studies that you mention as proof that it doesn’t work. You can find studies and data from people still saying the world is flat.. there’s yetis roaming around us and ghosts and spirits are living next to us. But they aren’t peer reviewed.. they aren’t from science outlets.. but you can find them. Says a lot I think of the intelligence of a person who doesn’t look deeper and find the reputable places that are in our best interests.
More than likely, they won't actually read the study, they'll just go with a one-line summary cherry-picked out of context that kind of jives with what they want to believe anyway. Or, they'll repost a tweet, and call that a "study".

BTW, this is just a general statement based on reading some of the back and forth here lately. A properly conducted study will never state if something "works" or doesn't. Rather, it will have a more precisely defined endpoint that can be measured. So, something like saying "Masks don't work" is irrelevant without knowing the endpoint and the methods.

Do properly worn masks reduce transmission of COVID-19 and provide a level protection for the wearer under most circumstances? Yes, absolutely, the data and real-world experience is pretty overwhelming. Is it perfect? No, of course not, but as stated again and again, good should not be the enemy of perfect. And in a pandemic, when we're battling one of the most contagious pathogens we've ever seen, doing something relatively easy like wearing a mask should be expected. None of this "freedom" nonsense for something that imposes very little burden (try wearing a MOPP suit in the desert if you find masks uncomfortable).

sullyinMT

Waiting for new excuses from the “It’s not *fully* approved” crowd.
My wife was already hit with - “watch behind the curtain with all this Afghanistan mess going on.” I swear some people are just so stupid or dug in that they’ll just find anything to weave into their little web of personal deception. It’s ok to say “I was wrong,” or “I learned something new today,” and move forward
anna-next-right-thing-featured.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom