Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mrs

Toward the end of last school year when our neighborhood children returned to in person school, on several occasions I saw all of the elementary kids lined up to board the school bus. All were wearing well fitted masks. The driver however had his down below his nose.
I know this adds nothing of value to the conversation.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
From what I've seen, the kids in my area wear masks properly. Some have very unique designs on them which is neat. The comment on "kids don't handle it " - I disagree.
I’m sorry but I call BS. I just do. You may want this to be reality but it isn’t. There are surveys and studies around it that I have seen. I’ll try to track them down.

SammyMF

Surveys? On the Internet? And we are supposed to believe them on a highly charged subject such as this?

Ok anecdotal evidence. Yes, what one has seen first hand in a limited setting. And yet we are supposed to believe partisans instead. Yes partisans since this seems to be democrat vs republican and not vaxxers vs anti-vaxxers. Same ol same ol, pick your issue. Really tired of people politics taking control of their lives.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Since you asked. For the entirety 2019-2020 188 children (up to 17 YO) died from the flu. Across all of the US per the CDC. The actual number is likely significantly higher. But lets say its double and round up. For the whole year 400 deaths. Since Jan 2020 to now, around 450 died from Covid, with the numbers that we have now that are subject to change. But lets be fair and double that. 900 in the last year and a half. Almost all of that time pre-delta. Also with several months of general shutdown and a year of no school to minimize the spread. Unlike the wide open flu.

So what is going to happen in the next four months as delta goes after the kids more than anyone else? Also if, heaven forbid, it spreads beyond where its spiking now in the south? Nobody can really say with certainty. There are way too many variables. It will also depend on who can or do among the age group get vaccinations. For the flu in 2019-2020 it was actually fairly high nationally. Much more so than covid shots atm since it was only recently approved for 12 and up.

In the end, its without question all very complicated and a simple question and answer or comparison simply cannot cover it. In spite of those that try to in the hope of convincing others that they know what the hell they are talking about. You cannot rely on information for such complicated subjects that come from talking heads, political leaders, radio talk shows, *news* websites, memes, or a variety of other things.

And no, not forum posters either. 😁
Take a look at the 2108-2019 numbers as well. Also, how long is a typical flu season?

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Since you asked. For the entirety 2019-2020 188 children (up to 17 YO) died from the flu. Across all of the US per the CDC. The actual number is likely significantly higher. But lets say its double and round up. For the whole year 400 deaths. Since Jan 2020 to now, around 450 died from Covid, with the numbers that we have now that are subject to change. But lets be fair and double that. 900 in the last year and a half. Almost all of that time pre-delta. Also with several months of general shutdown and a year of no school to minimize the spread. Unlike the wide open flu.

So what is going to happen in the next four months as delta goes after the kids more than anyone else? Also if, heaven forbid, it spreads beyond where its spiking now in the south? Nobody can really say with certainty. There are way too many variables. It will also depend on who can or do among the age group get vaccinations. For the flu in 2019-2020 it was actually fairly high nationally. Much more so than covid shots atm since it was only recently approved for 12 and up.

In the end, its without question all very complicated and a simple question and answer or comparison simply cannot cover it. In spite of those that try to in the hope of convincing others that they know what the hell they are talking about. You cannot rely on information for such complicated subjects that come from talking heads, political leaders, radio talk shows, *news* websites, memes, or a variety of other things.

And no, not forum posters either. 😁
Remember kids, GET THE VACCINE SOON in next month or October before Christmas so we will avoid another winter surge soon!

SammyMF

Its a generalized number from place to place. And for what its worth. But nearly %45-50 of republicans say they will not get the shots in various polls from different sources. The main reason cited is a distrust of the government. Thats a hell of a lot of people. The question then becomes, who do they trust instead? Certainly not the non-governmental data that says 99 out of 100 people (or around that) in the hospital with covid arent vaccinated. So they dont trust the government. They dont trust the hospitals. They have to trust something other than their politicians of choice, cable shows, and their favorite internet websites. Dont they?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The irony that you refuse to believe first hand accounts and pull the anectodal reason.
First hand evidence like you’re presenting shouldn’t be used to make serious decisions. My first hand evidence shows kids are not wearing masks properly. So which do we consider? Well, we consider neither and look to things like legit studies.

DisneyDebRob

First hand evidence like you’re presenting shouldn’t be used to make serious decisions. My first hand evidence shows kids are not wearing masks properly. So which do we consider? Well, we consider neither and look to things like legit studies.
If you have any studies or any evidence that most don’t wear them correctly or anything else you mentioned I would be anxious to read it. I just did a search and could find nothing. Not saying it’s not out there online somewhere just that if you have a link I would appreciate it.

Most I’ve seen from family and friends have worn them correctly. That’s all I can go by without something to show me something else or change my mind.

Lilofan

I'm not making a serious decision in regards to your matter of kids / masking . I am using recent observations in my life when it comes to kids wearing masks. You claim another viewpoint/ I point out my observations with kids wearing masks. You just want to elaborate on anecdotal etc etc.

Lilofan

Yeah. I can’t agree with this. They don’t. Whether they don’t want to or they don’t wear them properly or they don’t fit right. They don’t handle it just fine.
This is merely an opinion. Have you asked them ( the kids ) and gotten their opinions? I doubt it.

Archie123

No, but some mitigation measures are 0% effective and you're defending them.

Also, your insistence on masks, which are not supported by the data, is being used by anti-vaxxers as evidence that "your side" is anti-science about the vaccines, too. Mask mandates make people less likely to get vaccinated, so you could almost argue that they're net WORSE than 0% effective.

The data supports masks. You are 100% wrong.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If you have any studies or any evidence that most don’t wear them correctly or anything else you mentioned I would be anxious to read it. I just did a search and could find nothing. Not saying it’s not out there online somewhere just that if you have a link I would appreciate it.
Still trying to find it. I read this probably around January.
Here is something kinda similar that the CDC released in May. In this study, while they found benefits for teachers wearing masks in schools, they could not find a benefit around children wearing them. Better HVAC systems helped too. Which makes sense.

Virtual Toad

For some perspective, this is the situation on the ground only eight days into the school year. From the article:

“Since the schools reopened on Aug. 10 and 11, the four districts have reported a combined 4,980 cases. That’s more than a fourth of the way toward last year’s total, which was fewer than 18,000.”

The Mrs

I think that it is okay, and actually of some value, for us to make anecdotal statements in an informal discussion such as this, provided we make it clear that's what these statements are. We aren't all having the same experiences as we navigate through this pandemic. In my opinion, it is worth while to read about one another's experiences and observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom