Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New poster here but have spent days going through this thread. Interesting that this Disney fan group is one of the most intelligent sources of information and conversation surrounding Covid that I've found to date. A general thank you to you all for your time and effort.
Though I've seen many mentions of a vaccine roll out for 5-11, I haven't seen a recent update on an expected timeframe. Does anyone know anything current? Also, what about children under 5? Wondering if we'll get there before that age group becomes old enough to be a different age group :(
This is the official update on Pfizer:
  • Pfizer’s pediatric clinical trials are testing lower vaccine doses in younger age groups. Ages 5-11 will receive a 10-microgram dose, and those younger than 5 will receive a 3-microgram dose. About 4,500 children are participating in the trials in the U.S., Finland, Poland, and Spain.
Pfizer has said publicly they plan to release the 5-11 data by the end of September at the latest and will apply for EUA shortly after. The under 5 trial data is expected by late Fall or early Winter but less firm of a target date. The hope is that all children will be eligible by the end of the year. Recently the FDA did ask the companies to expand their trial size so I don’t know if that slows things down. Back in May/June there was some fear that the FDA wouldn’t issue EUA because Covid would be more under control and not a true emergency for kids and we’d have to wait for 6 mo ths of safety data and full approval, but sadly Delta ended that debate.

dreday3

Still the deflection game…god bless

Unnecessary travel perhaps?…indicated as being unnecessary by the word “unnecessary”?

So non-essential travel may not be a great idea? Possible? I have a feeling that “something” in Orlando might be the issue that “irks” you…

Well…it’s been largely abandoned too…so it is a little hard to judge.

You irk me.

:D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
  • Pfizer’s pediatric clinical trials are testing lower vaccine doses in younger age groups. Ages 5-11 will receive a 10-microgram dose, and those younger than 5 will receive a 3-microgram dose. About 4,500 children are participating in the trials in the U.S., Finland, Poland, and Spain.
Pfizer has said publicly they plan to release the 5-11 data by the end of September at the latest and will apply for EUA shortly after. The under 5 trial data is expected by late Fall or early Winter but less firm of a target date. The hope is that all children will be eligible by the end of the year. Recently the FDA did ask the companies to expand their trial size so I don’t know if that slows things down. Back in May/June there was some fear that the FDA wouldn’t issue EUA because Covid would be more under control and not a true emergency for kids and we’d have to wait for 6 mo ths of safety data and full approval, but sadly Delta ended that debate.
This is the kinda bureaucratic nonsense that gives bureaucrats their name…

“not a true emergency”…

how about: “get it the hell done”??

…it’s like all of the sudden they decided to build lame, overpriced rides for Disney parks or Something? 🤪

Reactions: fbb

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
So it will be more longer until COVID-19 would be more under control.....Noooooo....I wanted NJ Transit to lift mask mandate soon so I'll riding train again to NYC before end of the year soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What’s the risk / reward of sanitizing tables at restaurants?

Do we ever clean ride vehicles? Or too little reward?
Restaurant tables should be sanitized, probably should have been anyway but I’m all for a deeper cleaning of tables between use. Ride vehicles, not between riders. I assume they get cleaned periodically (daily???) in normal life but you know what they say about assuming. In between use was impractical and impacts operations too much. I would prefer they just offer hand sanitizer both before and after you ride but at a minimum after.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the kinda bureaucratic nonsense that gives bureaucrats their name…

“not a true emergency”…

how about: “get it the hell done”??

…it’s like all of the sudden they decided to build lame, overpriced rides for Disney parks or Something? 🤪
To be fair to the FDA they never formally said they didn‘t consider covid and emergency but there was some speculation they could never allow EUA for kids under 12 and just wait until full authorization but Delta has changed the math.

DisneyGigi

Bumping in here to give my experience with Covid-19 the last few weeks. There was an outbreak at my husband and son’s work. In both vaccinated and non vaccinated people. Vaccinated people were just as sick as unvaccinated. My entire family, including 3 grandchildren had it. I have double Pneumonia from it, 14 days in. My doc prescribed me Ivermectin, (yes, the same drug for de worming) Steroids, a z pack, and an inhaler. I am up today, for the first time in 2 weeks. I don’t wish to make a political post or argument about what works, or doesn’t but the meds he gave me kept me from being hospitalized. It was at that point. There are tons of mis information on all sides. This worked for me. I just want to share my experience. Please don’t flame me for sharing what worked for me. I was so, so sick. Lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks.

ArmoredRodent

New poster here but have spent days going through this thread. Interesting that this Disney fan group is one of the most intelligent sources of information and conversation surrounding Covid that I've found to date. A general thank you to you all for your time and effort.
Though I've seen many mentions of a vaccine roll out for 5-11, I haven't seen a recent update on an expected timeframe. Does anyone know anything current? Also, what about children under 5? Wondering if we'll get there before that age group becomes old enough to be a different age group :(
Really current update beyond the 5-11 numbers discussed in the news this week? Nope, but there's no reported big change from, say, July 22, when President Biden told a town hall in Cincinnati he was told they would be available maybe by the end of August. But as GoofGoof pointed out, there are ongoing trials that should produce results soon. The question then will be how long it will take to get even an Emergency authorization. News reports in the last few days say that Pfizer will submit for FDA approval next month, with expected approval in "late fall, early winter" this year. That's for 5-11, and even that vague timeline is better than for the under 5yo's.

There's no announced timeline for <5yo's that I've seen, and the official word is that it will be really slow. Peter Marks, the head of vaccines for the FDA, said in May that "Just so everyone understands, we are going to be very careful as we get down to smaller children ... We have to reduce the dose of the vaccine, we're more cautious about side effects, it takes longer to do the development." Another hold-up appears to be getting enough test subject volunteers; one reason for the slow 5-11 approvals is an inability to find volunteers in that cohort.

The Mrs

To be fair to the FDA they never formally said they didn‘t consider covid and emergency but there was some speculation they could never allow EUA for kids under 12 and just wait until full authorization but Delta has changed the math.
Thanks for clarifying

bryanfze55

Restaurant tables should be sanitized, probably should have been anyway but I’m all for a deeper cleaning of tables between use. Ride vehicles, not between riders. I assume they get cleaned periodically (daily???) in normal life but you know what they say about assuming. In between use was impractical and impacts operations too much. I would prefer they just offer hand sanitizer both before and after you ride but at a minimum after.
This is the most reasonable approach, and that is what I insinuated earlier - though far less eloquently, perhaps.

I haven’t gone to WDW or DL during COVID-19, because it’s bad to travel during a pandemic - I mean, we need to slow the spread. WDW vacation doesn’t seem like a great way to do that. But I digress, I heard ride vehicles were being cleaned after nearly every ride or every other ride. That seems like overkill to me in terms of practicality, and I think it’s a valid business decision to abandon that. However, as you said, hopefully at least daily lol.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Is everything will be back to normal by end of the year. @GoofGoof which I don't want to wear mask during visit NYC during December soon.

Lilofan

Bumping in here to give my experience with Covid-19 the last few weeks. There was an outbreak at my husband and son’s work. In both vaccinated and non vaccinated people. Vaccinated people were just as sick as unvaccinated. My entire family, including 3 grandchildren had it. I have double Pneumonia from it, 14 days in. My doc prescribed me Ivermectin, (yes, the same drug for de worming) Steroids, a z pack, and an inhaler. I am up today, for the first time in 2 weeks. I don’t wish to make a political post or argument about what works, or doesn’t but the meds he gave me kept me from being hospitalized. It was at that point. There are tons of mis information on all sides. This worked for me. I just want to share my experience. Please don’t flame me for sharing what worked for me. I was so, so sick. Lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks.
Thanks for sharing. Were all in your family vaccinated?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the most reasonable approach, and that is what I insinuated earlier - though far less eloquently, perhaps.

I haven’t gone to WDW or DL during COVID-19, because it’s bad to travel during a pandemic - I mean, we need to slow the spread. WDW vacation doesn’t seem like a great way to do that. But I digress, I heard ride vehicles were being cleaned after nearly every ride or every other ride. That seems like overkill to me in terms of practicality, and I think it’s a valid business decision to abandon that. However, as you said, hopefully at least daily lol.
I think in places where they did the cleaning between riders that was abandoned pretty early on and isn’t happening anywhere now.

As far as daily, my gut says pre-covid the crew getting ready for opening each day probably wiped down ride vehicles if they needed it, but there may not have been a formal disinfectant process. That may have changed.

TrainsOfDisney

Were you vacinated?

With an experience like this (vacinated and unvaccinated having the same results) I’m wondering if different versions of the virus are spreading in certain parts of the country.

Scary stuff.

The Mrs

Really current update beyond the 5-11 numbers discussed in the news this week? Nope, but there's no reported big change from, say, July 22, when President Biden told a town hall in Cincinnati he was told they would be available maybe by the end of August. But as GoofGoof pointed out, there are ongoing trials that should produce results soon. The question then will be how long it will take to get even an Emergency authorization. News reports in the last few days say that Pfizer will submit for FDA approval next month, with expected approval in "late fall, early winter" this year. That's for 5-11, and even that vague timeline is better than for the under 5yo's.

There's no announced timeline for <5yo's that I've seen, and the official word is that it will be really slow. Peter Marks, the head of vaccines for the FDA, said in May that "Just so everyone understands, we are going to be very careful as we get down to smaller children ... We have to reduce the dose of the vaccine, we're more cautious about side effects, it takes longer to do the development." Another hold-up appears to be getting enough test subject volunteers; one reason for the slow 5-11 approvals is an inability to find volunteers in that cohort.
Thank you for this information. I understand and appreciate the caution being exercised by the FDA. I also understand the reluctance of parents to submit small children for the trials. It's not just about the risk of being a trial subject (which personally I think is minimal). It's about putting a small child through the process of medical visits, injections, and blood draws. I think it could be traumatic for a child that doesn't comprehend the importance of it. So I understand, but I'm very frustrated that we can't give the children the same protection that we are offering to adults. Looking forward to when it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom