Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the Tigger

If we were to have a 30 day shut down like the one poster strongly suggests , the pain and suffering from doing that would be off the chart.

Not if it were handled properly, i.e. paid for.

When we were shut down for two months (I own two "non-essential" storefronts) I worked much harder for far longer hours for barely any money, because I was terrified of making zero money and losing everything.

If they had just told me: stay home, we'll cover two months of rent and expenses, heck, I'd have loved to stay home.

As it turned out, I renegotiated rents, bills, loans, and that set things up for success once we reopened. It was no less terrifying during the process, though. I couldn't have known how well it would go later.

I'm not advocating doing it again unless a clear reason becomes apparent, but if they did it again, they could just fund all of us through the PPP system that already exists, right from the beginning, and voila! Stress free virus control.

Lots of local businesses in my area survived and are doing great. They had to adapt and pivot but they survived.

Our business turned out to be very well suited for a pandemic. As you say, we adapted and pivoted (local deliveries, more online sales, social media videos, etc.) Operating carefully, it was like Christmas season when we reopened after the two months closed. It stayed busy all year, and then increased even more when we hit actual Christmas season. And it's stayed up since then. In the meantime, we did eventually get the PPP and EIDL loans (after missing out on the first round) and those took the pressure off and kept me from begging on a gofundme page.

But it was definitely a pressure test for many businesses, especially early on. I wonder if some threw in the towel a little too early or just found it too intimidating to apply for the loans.

Mr. Moderate

When we were shut down for two months (I own two "non-essential" storefronts) I worked much harder for far longer hours for barely any money, because I was terrified of making zero money and losing everything.

If they had just told me: stay home, we'll cover two months of rent and expenses, heck, I'd have loved to stay home.

As it turned out, I renegotiated rents, bills, loans, and that set things up for success once we reopened. It was no less terrifying during the process, though. I couldn't have known how well it would go later.

I'm not advocating doing it again unless a clear reason becomes apparent, but if they did it again, they could just fund all of us through the PPP system that already exists, right from the beginning, and voila! Stress free virus control.

Our business turned out to be very well suited for a pandemic. As you say, we adapted and pivoted (local deliveries, more online sales, social media videos, etc.) Operating carefully, it was like Christmas season when we reopened after the two months closed. It stayed busy all year, and then increased even more when we hit actual Christmas season. And it's stayed up since then. In the meantime, we did eventually get the PPP and EIDL loans (after missing out on the first round) and those took the pressure off and kept me from begging on a gofundme page.

But it was definitely a pressure test for many businesses, especially early on. I wonder if some threw in the towel a little too early or just found it too intimidating to apply for the loans.
At 24 Trillion and climbing, in National Debt, I don't think we as a nation can afford such a thing as "stress free virus control" you speak of. The bill comes due, always.

Lilofan

So to be clear here, you're ok with a 30 day lockdown and everything closing except essential services?
In regards to essential services I can see the twisted reason why alcohol is deemed essential services. It could do more harm than good if these products are cut off from some like to drink.

DisneyDebRob

It is a shame that many closed their businesses for good. Others that could.. pivoted and are doing better then ever because of changes they made. Other restaurants will replace the ones gone as they have been doing since we’ve had stores. It’s a shame, really is for the ones that closed. Sort of the circle of life in the human world.

NickMaio

This is categorically not true as pointed out multiple times, I’m not writing it again.

Vaccinated can catch delta, which would mean 2 weeks of having to call in sick from work for you. Once cases drop and we go back to moderate and low level transmission you can take the mask off. Nationwide we appear to be at the cusp of the peak of this wave, meaning mask mandates will be removed in 2-5 weeks most likely.
Not if another variant gets created..........
Vaccine is really the only way out of this crap fest.
Create a passport system, most will get the vaccine.

Take care

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Not if another variant gets created..........
Vaccine is really the only way out of this crap fest.
Create a passport system, most will get the vaccine.

Take care
Yeah we need a vaccine passport system as most will get the vaccine by end of the year. Perfect plan!:D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That may be the case is for monsters like Amazon, Uline, fast food places like McDonald’s, but there was many small businesses in my area they’re closed and are never coming back. If we were to have a 30 day shut down like the one poster strongly suggests , the pain and suffering from doing that would be off the chart.
Of course they were…that’s kinda the point in the halls of power.

we’ve seen repeated examples of public policy antithetical to interest being supported by blocks of people…literally voting to make
Their lives worse. A near 40 year daily thing…

this is now how power works

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
20 percent of restaurants in Chicago closed for good.
If that included olive gardens…it’s probably a good thing 👍🏻
At 24 Trillion and climbing, in National Debt, I don't think we as a nation can afford such a thing as "stress free virus control" you speak of. The bill comes due, always.
Why don’t I hear this ALL the time? Like when a yutz that makes bankruptcy a “cool thing” blew an $11,000,000,000,000 hole in it?
In regards to essential services I can see the twisted reason why alcohol is deemed essential services. It could do more harm than good if these products are cut off from some like to drink.
Because it’s addictive and makes people money…I can think of two other products with ZERO upside that still exist against all logic as well

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
That may be the case is for monsters like Amazon, Uline, fast food places like McDonald’s, but there was many small businesses in my area they’re closed and are never coming back. If we were to have a 30 day shut down like the one poster strongly suggests , the pain and suffering from doing that would be off the chart.
That's like Detroit, MI for me.:p

drizgirl

Seriously. I can't believe that even needed to be said.

What's a few more trillion. Am I right?

drizgirl

It is a shame that many closed their businesses for good. Others that could.. pivoted and are doing better then ever because of changes they made. Other restaurants will replace the ones gone as they have been doing since we’ve had stores. It’s a shame, really is for the ones that closed. Sort of the circle of life in the human world.
This isn't about whether you have enough restaurants. It's about what the ones who had to close lost in the equation.

Too bad, so sad, huh?

Heppenheimer

If that included olive gardens…it’s probably a good thing 👍🏻

Why don’t I hear this ALL the time? Like when a yutz that makes bankruptcy a “cool thing” blew an $11,000,000,000,000 hole in it?

Because it’s addictive and makes people money…I can think of two other products with ZERO upside that still exist against all logic as well
It's also a sad reality that if you suddenly cut off the supply drinks to alcoholics, many of them will go into withdrawal seizures, and end up even further overloading the health care system. Trying to keep DTs under control in a hospital setting is extremely labor intensive. So, in the interest of damage control... keep the tap flowing.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Once again, just like Detroit, MI, all businesses closed, as the buildings are been demolished, it's looks like there was a huge bomb during the war.

drizgirl

It's also a sad reality that if you suddenly cut off the supply drinks to alcoholics, many of them will go into withdrawal seizures, and end up even further overloading the health care system. Trying to keep DTs under control in a hospital setting is extremely labor intensive. So, in the interest of damage control... keep the tap flowing.
So we should set policy to accommodate the drunks in the hospitals, yet some here have advocated for withholding medical care from those who choose not to be vaccinated. Nice.

Now that they have all seen how disruptive life could be to an alcohol supply, they should have taken the last year to get off the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom