Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

We know enough about this disease to know that virtually nothing has to close in order to be safe.
With respect, the experts totally disagree with you.

ETA: My apologies. I reread your post, and it seems you’re referring to the current situation. I mistakenly thought you were talking about the pandemic as a whole. Still, many experts continue to caution against unnecessary travel and gatherings.

Last edited:

correcaminos

My goodness, tell us how you really feel. The fact that WDW is open right now is getting old.
Well that was snark that was uncalled for. I told you how I felt and why. WDW closing? What good will it do at this point? Tell me... seriously. I want to know. Our focus needs to shift. Anyone who sits with one mentality the entire pandemic will be left behind. We need to adapt to life. Right now vaccines are it. Disney is mandating for staff that they can. They are requiring masks indoors which keeps people employed. Shutting down anything in Florida is pretty much impossible. So while you think this is "old" and are being very snarky here, there is no good answer. At least none that can realistically happen and keep someone like you happy.

Lilofan

I'm curious - what's closed - anywhere in the country?

We know enough about this disease to know that virtually nothing has to close in order to be safe. We're safe by a) getting vaccinated, b) masking, c) distancing. Along with that is reducing the amount of time you are in confined areas with other people.

Florida's numbers are a scandal, but they aren't high because theme parks are open. They are high because people are making stupid choices. Including Disney, for pretending that the honor system worked.

Unless people are going to cough up the $$$ to cover workers salaries, absolutely nothing should close again. That will just create a different problem. Last year, when we didn't have vaccines and didn't know enough about how COVID spread, it was different.

While Orange County has about as many COVID cases as my entire most densely populated state, we have found that those who follow common sense are safe. My congregation has been open for services for over a year now - following guidelines - with the county per capita rate at one point equivalent to Florida's today - not a single incident of COVID spread.

Disney may well have to cut back capacity and socially distance again, but they do not have to close.

The scandal is that we know how to be safe, and we don't require people to take those steps. I'm all in favor of vaccine mandates and, if necessary, the choice of passports or testing.
Considering I did yoga, pull ups, sit ups, push ups, deep knee bends at the kiddie park because the gym I went to was shut down.

DisneyCane

Very clever but when on a flight you don't have to do something in return for the reward of being allowed to unbuckle your seatbelt.

It was stated as a quid pro quo that either you wear a mask or get vaccinated. It was not stated that this may change in two months.

Also, if you really have to use the bathroom you can get up during turbulence and nobody tells you to sit back down and buckle up. During cruise it is more of a guideline than a mandate. During takeoff and landing it's a mandate.

Jedijax719

Our school district (3rd biggest in Texas) announced on their Twitter and Facebook page that they will make an announcement soon about the health protocol for COVID-19. Remember, our governor has, just like DeSantis, said that schools cannot mandate masks for all and there will be no virtual school.

The comments on both Twitter and FB were FLOODED with the anti-vax/COVID-19 is a hoax crowd. I was in the world of naivety thinking that most people didn't feel this way, even in Texas. Things like " masks don't work" and "the vaccines will kill you" and "there was never any pandemic to start with-it's all a fabrication of those wanting to control people", etc. etc. etc.

Nobody in Texas will mandate masks in schools. However, the LEVEL of ignorance leading to so few taking responsibility is astonishing. It's not even that people are nervous about it. I can somewhat understand that. It's the absolute aggression and hatefulness that SOME (or maybe many) of the unvaccinated show that still shocks me. It's one thing to say "I am choosing not to get vaccinated and here are my reasons", but it's a whole other animal to say "No way is the government going to force that needle into me and anyone who has gotten it is a sheep" or the such. Medical reasons, immunocompromising medicines and conditions, nervousness about possible side effecs, etc. Those, depending on the specific situation may justify not being vaccinated. But remaining unvaccinated as a weapon and protest against....I know now idea what or who....is more rampant that we realize.

Btw, George Takei's analogy is perfect!!!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Shutting down anything in Florida is pretty much impossible.
I’m not sure I see that as a possibility anywhere in the US really.

And shutting down WDW specifically. Not sure what that will accomplish. The spread in Florida has already occurred.

I think even the people who supported lockdown measures (I did earlier on) need to understand that the US is past that point. We need to live within the current reality.

Are masks and other mitigation efforts part of that reality? Maybe in certain situations. But as far as closing businesses down again? Nah.

draybook

Considering I did yoga, pull ups, sit ups, push ups, deep knee bends at the kiddie park because the gym I went to was shut down.

That's one reason we turned our garage into a gym. Got dumbbells from 2-50, about 700 lbs in bumper plates, 2 barbells, nice power rack, GHD, assault bike, ab tower, concept 2 rower, treadmill, hex bar, curl bar and a separate bench. I even made sure to put a spare TV in there with its own firestick.

correcaminos

I’m not sure I see that as a possibility anywhere in the US really.

And shutting down WDW specifically. Not sure what that will accomplish. The spread in Florida has already occurred.

I think even the people who supported lockdown measures (I did earlier on) need to understand that the US is past that point. We need to live within the current reality.

Are masks and other mitigation efforts part of that reality? Maybe in certain situations. But as far as closing businesses down again? Nah.
To be fair as a whole I agree on shut downs. Again I saw the point at the beginning, but not all did and borders weren't locked so states that did well in March of last year weren't isolated. That is a problem with this.

While I hated, but supported closures, over a year ago I know the reality is the ship has sailed a long time ago.

We need to shift and make changes now that will be meaningful, helpful, and bring this to a better level than where we are. After that we need to look globally too to help.

crawale

You do realize that for the vast majority that get COVID, which is the unvaccinated BTW, death is not imminent. In fact the chances of dying are pretty low. Maybe if you actually looked at the stats and stopped following all the fear mongering on the media you'd understand that and in turn understand why one decides they don't need the vaccine to survive COVID.
As far as spreading it to others, if those others are so afraid then stay the hell out of the public. Protect yourself, stop expecting others to protect you.
Why won't the government acknowledge that 'natural acquired' immunity is better than synthetic induced vaccination. People who have survived COVID do not need nor should they take the vaccine. This is not a 'one size fits all' and the Government is not listening to science.

crawale

N
With respect, the experts totally disagree with you.

ETA: My apologies. I reread your post, and it seems you’re referring to the current situation. I mistakenly thought you were talking about the pandemic as a whole. Still, many experts continue to caution against unnecessary travel and gatherings.
Not all experts - the ones treating patients have a different view of what is effective and what is not. Unfortunately any opinion not agreeing with the government is being censored.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Not all experts - the ones treating patients have a different view of what is effective and what is not.
Can you expand on this?

Unfortunately any opinion not agreeing with the government is being censored.
Considering how often one encounters such opinions both in the media and here in the forum, I'm struggling to understand how anything is being censored.

Just one example below (disclaimer: I do not approve of this man or anything he says):

crawale

I really hope they get the child vaccines rolled out soon too; would be nice with school starting next week. I don't want them to rush it, because I know it is important to get it right. But it will be nice once I have that piece of mind for DD.
Normally a vaccine to be given to children has to undergo at least a three year trial in case there are long term effects. These vaccines have not been tested sufficiently yet people are going to allow their kids to be guinea pigs despite the troubling heart complications being seen. I have a couple of friend who are virologists and worked on the U.K.'s vaccine and they won't give it to their children.

crawale

Can you expand on this?

Considering how often one encounters such opinions both in the media and here in the forum, I'm struggling to understand how anything is being censored.

Just one example below (disclaimer: I do not approve of this man or anything he says):

When Facebook removes any post as 'misinformation' that does not agree with the government line - we all know Dr Zuckerberg has extensive medical experience. Studies coming out now show the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine yet we were told this would kill people despite there not being a single death from it in sixty years. Studies show that the natural antibodies , Cleveland Clinic, acquired by people who recovered from COVID are stronger than those hopefully produced by the vaccines. If this was not the case then why were people who recovered asked to give plasma to treat COVID patients - successfully? I think we are seeing, unless we chooses not to, how political the CDC for example has become. It is now controlled by the teachers' union who do not want schools to re-open. I just wish people would research for themselves using multiple sources and just not accept what we are told - especially as tomorrow we will be told something completely different.

Polkadotdress

Normally a vaccine to be given to children has to undergo at least a three year trial in case there are long term effects. These vaccines have not been tested sufficiently yet people are going to allow their kids to be guinea pigs despite the troubling heart complications being seen. I have a couple of friend who are virologists and worked on the U.K.'s vaccine and they won't give it to their children.
My child is current guinea pig for these vaccines, and it’s fine. She supports it (as a teen), and we support it as her parents.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Very clever but when on a flight you don't have to do something in return for the reward of being allowed to unbuckle your seatbelt.

It was stated as a quid pro quo that either you wear a mask or get vaccinated. It was not stated that this may change in two months.

Also, if you really have to use the bathroom you can get up during turbulence and nobody tells you to sit back down and buckle up. During cruise it is more of a guideline than a mandate. During takeoff and landing it's a mandate.
Maybe if there weren't so many dishonorable people this wouldn't be the issue it today

LittleBuford

When Facebook removes any post as 'misinformation' that does not agree with the government line - we all know Dr Zuckerberg has extensive medical experience. Studies coming out now show the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine yet we were told this would kill people despite there not being a single death from it in sixty years. Studies show that the natural antibodies , Cleveland Clinic, acquired by people who recovered from COVID are stronger than those hopefully produced by the vaccines. If this was not the case then why were people who recovered asked to give plasma to treat COVID patients - successfully? I think we are seeing, unless we chooses not to, how political the CDC for example has become. It is now controlled by the teachers' union who do not want schools to re-open. I just wish people would research for themselves using multiple sources and just not accept what we are told - especially as tomorrow we will be told something completely different.
Yours is not the first post to claim that the response to this pandemic is somehow driven largely, if not entirely, by US political machinations. When you zoom out and realise that governments of all stripes throughout the world have taken similar measures, you have a different sense of things.

Nothing about this should be political.

DisneyDebRob

🤦

correcaminos

Often taking 2-4 years doesn't mean it needs to be that long. Not all medical people feel the same for sure, but considering we vaccinate for chicken pox, I'm fantastic with vaccinating here for covid.

correcaminos

My child is current guinea out for these vaccines, and it’s fine. She supports it (as a teen), and we support it as her parents.
Thank you to your DD! That is a very brave thing to do for sure!

I obviously support it and would have for my kid had we been able to enroll him too (school conflicts during hybrid and EDL days). I really am absolutely amazed at how adult some of the kids are to do this. You should be so proud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom