Rumor My Genie Conclusions - The Future of WDW’s Ticketing

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
“Genie” will indeed likely be a base model that the guest can pay to build onto depending how daft crazy rich they are.

This has all the hallmarks of the same obscene amount of time, money and resources thrown at it as my magic plus did but with a clear attempt to make as much money out of it as possible.

nickys

Premium Member
Remember all the promises about FP+? There were going to be all these surprise and delight fast passes show up to balance wait times across the parks. That’s all I could picture when I read this description of Genie. I’ll believe it when I see it.
Except by the time you have seen it you’ll have already paid for it. At which point you’ll either discover that in fact either your CC will be charged another $$$ to fulfil your “wishes” or that Genie can’t live up to it’s name. . ☹️

<sigh>

Ninja Mom

I just want to know how lines are going to work with the new paid skip option. Myself, along with 40 million other parents, are not going to wait in 1-2 hour lines with our kids for every decently popular ride.

I don't care if they're catering to wealthier guests, the paid skip option will not be very popular as the pricing is pure insanity. I mostly work with low millions (1-10) net worth individuals. They all loved the fast passes when they took their kids. Take that away and put it behind a rediculous pay wall and people simply won't go. Most people making 400k a year will still laugh in a cast members face when they're gleefully told their 5 person family can skip the line for ONLY $75 frigging dollars...

Actually, most wealthy people I know won't even get into that situation above. They'll be smart enough to realize Disney is now up charging horribly for something that used to be free and they'll take their family elsewhere.

This will hurt Disney. Losing magical express with luggage being taken care of will hurt Disney.

They're going down a reckless path with negative repercussion that will ripple out for decades to come. Less people going, less lifelong fans being formed. A slow death.
It's like death by a thousand cuts. I just don't get all of the stupid decisions being made by management. They seem to have totally lost sight of the Disney Parks legacy. They are intent on destroying every element of goodness and value involved with the theme parks in the name of profit.

That stock price is a demanding pimp, and those Disney execs are willing to prostitute the parks as long as they get their cut. This is simply not sustainable. Constantly making cuts, jacking up prices and demanding more contortions by guests will only drive people away.

I guess the good news is that social media is going to shed more light on what a disaster a Disney Parks vacation is being made to become. No amount of Disney fantasy spin can hide the fact that the parks and resorts are a cluster cluck of disappointment and that you way overpaid for what (little) you got (mostly frustration at every step of the way). There is a reason people are flocking to Universal, and I don't think it has anything to do with masks.

There is no leadership in the Walt Disney Company. I guess that's what happened when Iger cannibalized his replacement talent, and we were left with Chapek. I'm starting to get the sense that Iger has set up the company, especially the theme parks division, for failure after he (Finally) leaves. The village idiot is in charge and he only cares about the stock price. The irony is that Disney could have built upon it's success and chosen to meet the demand by (Gasp) building a 5th park, but the only thing that matters is the stock price (and executive bonu$e$) , so nope, that's a hard pass.

And yes, Disney is a company that must make a profit, but there must be a balance between profits and desirability. What is happening now to the parks is so ill conceived it is destined to serve them poorly, along with people who used to be devoted to a Disney vacation. You simply can't take a core component of your business and constantly erode it in the name of profits.

These are dark days indeed and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

~NM

Jon81uk

They were open for 30+ years with no Fastpass. Yes, some of the lines are longer now but people were waiting 60+ minutes for the E-Tickets in 1999. It's a theme park.

I always think of this when I see posters stating they couldn't possibly wait more than an hour. Back before Fastpass you just had to, you either joined a line and got an attraction at the end of it, or didn't.

Yes the number of guests is far higher than it was 22 years ago and maybe they haven't built enough B, C and D tickets to spread crowds properly. But it always has been "normal" for E tickets to have a 1-2 hour wait.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
What will be more difficult, filing your taxes or booking a Walt Disney World vacation?
H&R Block was getting squeezed pretty hard by Turbo Tax, but now they’re hoping that their new WDW planning section can reverse the trend. I just brought them a proposed itinerary for 2023. Bit disappointed that on W, 10/18/2023 I won’t be able to get the Columbia Harbor House lobster roll until 2:30 pm. For $78 I can have lunch at a more normal time. The rest of the family can eat at 12:11 pm because they opted out of the lobster roll. Decisions, decisions.

EPCOT-O.G.

Forget 7DMT and FOP.

If half of these aspirational ideas for this Genie app come about the longest lines will be at guest services.

Take all your headaches you’re experiencing now with ADRs, QS, ROTR BGs, and the like, and expand that out to every experience (dining, shopping, line waits, Fast Passes) and make it hugely expensive? Yikes. Recent past history tells me none of these apps come close to delivering what’s been promised.

WEDYENSID

“Genie” will indeed likely be a base model that the guest can pay to build onto depending how daft crazy rich they are.

This has all the hallmarks of the same obscene amount of time, money and resources thrown at it as my magic plus did but with a clear attempt to make as much money out of it as possible.
Per "Genie"..... It will be too late, to act in time - When penny candy, costs a dime...

Kingoglow

I have no insider information. My version of the Genie would be to bundle together different planned itineraries and let families choose between them. Brand each itinerary a character, because of course. None of the itineraries includes every attraction but you can always wait in line (or pay up more) after your itinerary is over). Each is themed to types of experiences.

Some like, Pooh, could give access to the Pooh ride, Teacups, Speedway, Laughfloor, Carpets, Jungle Cruise, Carousel, People Mover, CoP, Small World, Peter Pan and Mine Train. Probably more rides, just spitballing, but not every attraction.

The tier has a different cost based on the rides in its theme and you get No Wait FastPass for everything in your tier. That that is the point of buying into the system.

Genie gathers data around how many families are buying into each tier. Two weeks before your trip it generates a suggested moment by money itinerary for your family with ample time for bathroom, meals, and shopping along the way. The itinerary is a step-by-step path through your day.

Disney now has control of how crowds will move through the park. People will pay a higher price to buy in, but won't have to wait in line.

In the end, I figure that they will bundle about 6 hours of experience together, you have checked off most of the stuff that was important to your family, didn't have to wait very long to do so. Now you are free to roam.

LaughingGravy

I just want to know how lines are going to work with the new paid skip option. Myself, along with 40 million other parents, are not going to wait in 1-2 hour lines with our kids for every decently popular ride.
I know a DVC family who just spent a week doing just that. They were not happy, but Disney knows they'll be back next year and the year after, etc.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In an effort to reduce operating costs and maximize guest revenue, all park restrooms will be closed.

After all, if you're pooping, you're not shopping! You can save that for the hotel room.
Pay toilets, confirmed.

Not all of them will require a monetary deposit... there will still be "free" restrooms for the unwashed masses. But I foresee a Disney+ Premium restroom experience where the porcelain will be regularly and spotlessly cleaned, the toilet paper will be soft and 3-ply, the hand soap will be pleasantly scented and laden with moisturizer, and the mirrors will be glass and chrome instead of scratched-up stainless steel.

I'm sure the Genie app will offer you this option, then tell you where to go... to go.

dreday3

I read all of this and I can't figure it out.

Is it only tied to those who have annual passes?
How would it roll out by October first if a bunch of us already have packages booked with tickets w/without hoppers attached?
We already have park reservations, photopass purchased - would we bundled into something else?

So many questions....

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
@Missing20K said
Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Remember, if you're not the lead sled dog, the scenery never changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom