Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Now soon before the school year begins, the kids will be forced to get vaccinated in NYC as NJ too as they will order go back to school if they are been fully vaccinated by fall.

correcaminos

I have to say I loathe "twitter articles" Seriously.

I am not a fan of what this guy is saying. We have the original 44k+ that they are following and totally ignoring on going trials specifically for boosters. I really think people speculating when we are working on data is weird to me. Honestly his 'article' was not really helpful or much of anything.

havoc315

I am not a fan of what this guy is saying. We have the original 44k+ that they are following and totally ignoring on going trials specifically for boosters. I really think people speculating when we are working on data is weird to me. Honestly his 'article' was not really helpful or much of anything.

This isn’t random Twitter dude. He has been a Covid leader from the start and was a senior advisor to Biden on covid.

While not a scientist really himself, he has been on the forefront of the science. He is simply providing an update on where the science stands: there is a waning effect of the vaccine after 6 months, but the degree to which it wanes and the need for boosters is still under investigation. It is likely that at least the elderly and those immuno compromised will need boosters.

Twitter can be a major source of misinformation — but it all depends who you read. It’s about listening to the right people.

The problem with the main stream media is that they are often days/weeks behind the science, and often the journalists don’t fully understand what they are reporting upon. Creating late superficial stories. (Not fake news — they aren’t lying. Just they sometimes lack depth and context).

DisneyCane

Agree we need to wait for data. I will say that if it turns out that boosters are needed after six months it makes the vaccination effort completely ineffective. There is no way to produce and administer enough doses fast enough worldwide to ever get near herd immunity.

Hopefully it's just an overreaction to one flawed study.

havoc315

Agree we need to wait for data. I will say that if it turns out that boosters are needed after six months it makes the vaccination effort completely ineffective. There is no way to produce and administer enough doses fast enough worldwide to ever get near herd immunity.

- We aren’t going to get to herd immunity. That ship has sailed.
-We can get to the point where wide vaccination renders covid far less serious of a concern. Much like seasonal flu eventually.
-I’ve never like the flu comparisons. Because Covid was NOT comparable to the flu in the past. But it may be more comparable over time in the future. Even without an annual flu shot, most people are able to fight off the flu, partially because they do have partial immunity from past exposures, past vaccines. And an annual flu shot does provide extra immunity each year for those that get it.

I suspect this is the direction we are going in. Covid flare-ups with seasonal changes and new variants. Far less deadly, as even old vaccination/infection continues to bring some protection. Annual boosters tailored to the newest variants for additional protection.

Kevin_W

In good news: the UK cases seem to have peaked nearly a week ago and are plummeting downwards, about 2 months after the uptick began. Similarly, in the less-vaccinated India, cases started to drop a little under 2 months after their surge began (though their new baseline is 2-3x higher than the old one).

We're at about 3 weeks since our surge began. So if we follow that trend, we have perhaps 4 more weeks until cases decline again. And if we're optimistic, maybe our higher vaccination rate will shorten that up.

carolina_yankee

To clarify, I may be British, but I live in the US, and I know that you have nothing here resembling an official church (not that the Church of England has anything like the influence that Christianity does on this side of the pond). The only thing that confused me was the suggestion that churches in the US could get in (legal) trouble for encouraging their parishioners to get vaccinated. The point has since been clarified.
I didn’t realize you lived in the US! Our rules on political speech are still
confusing for darn near everybody. we need a Mom.

I’m an Episcopal priest (sister church to CofE, for others) so I’m used to not having any influence. We’re still reasonably well vaccinated though, and stay on the right side (left side?) of the IRS. 😄

James J

In the Parks
No
In good news: the UK cases seem to have peaked nearly a week ago and are plummeting downwards, about 2 months after the uptick began. Similarly, in the less-vaccinated India, cases started to drop a little under 2 months after their surge began (though their new baseline is 2-3x higher than the old one).

We're at about 3 weeks since our surge began. So if we follow that trend, we have perhaps 4 more weeks until cases decline again. And if we're optimistic, maybe our higher vaccination rate will shorten that up.

It is good news in the UK, though I would say watch this space. Restrictions were only lifted a week ago, so next Friday will be the point at which we can see if the dropping of social distancing measures has had an impact and causes the cases to fly up again.

havoc315

69% of adults have now had their first shot. We won't hit 70% this month but the Delta surge has led to a slight increase in vaccinations. Thanks to that recent increase, we should hit 70% with 1 shot by early to mid August.
So that's the good news.

The bad news -- 1 shot isn't that effective against Delta, really need 2 shots. And importantly, to have any shot at herd immunity, we would need MUCH higher than 70%. I've seen epidemiologists estimating a low of 85% to a higher of over 100%. (in other words, at current vaccine effectiveness and the R0 of Delta, even a 100% vaccination rate wouldn't provide actual herd immunity).

correcaminos

This isn’t random Twitter dude. He has been a Covid leader from the start and was a senior advisor to Biden on covid.

While not a scientist really himself, he has been on the forefront of the science. He is simply providing an update on where the science stands: there is a waning effect of the vaccine after 6 months, but the degree to which it wanes and the need for boosters is still under investigation. It is likely that at least the elderly and those immuno compromised will need boosters.

Twitter can be a major source of misinformation — but it all depends who you read. It’s about listening to the right people.

The problem with the main stream media is that they are often days/weeks behind the science, and often the journalists don’t fully understand what they are reporting upon. Creating late superficial stories. (Not fake news — they aren’t lying. Just they sometimes lack depth and context).
I know he's not a random twitter dude. I can still loathe "articles" on twitter. They suck.

His speculation is nothing new nor helpful. Wait for the data from the trials. This twitter thread (I think I lost part way through too) really wasn't super informative. While this might be a valid source for info, reality is this tweet strand really seemed to be more about making sure his name is still out there. Nothing new, nothing concrete.

To correct, there is a possible waning effect of the vaccine for some. My specific trial that I just jumped on a week ago Friday is finding the right info. His ideas are speculation. Sorry....

Or it could be pointing towards *some* populations needing more. Immune compromised might need it... elderly who have lessened immune responses might need it. But we need to wait for data.

ImperfectPixie

I know he's not a random twitter dude. I can still loathe "articles" on twitter. They suck.

His speculation is nothing new nor helpful. Wait for the data from the trials. This twitter thread (I think I lost part way through too) really wasn't super informative. While this might be a valid source for info, reality is this tweet strand really seemed to be more about making sure his name is still out there. Nothing new, nothing concrete.

To correct, there is a possible waning effect of the vaccine for some. My specific trial that I just jumped on a week ago Friday is finding the right info. His ideas are speculation. Sorry....
I'm not a fan of Twitter threads, either. Just the fact that they share space with the cesspool that is the rest of Twitter is bad enough, but then there's the fact that you can lose your place if you try to see responses, etc.

I'd rather see a single tweet with an article attached, if we must use Twitter.

Trauma

The thing about the UK that really gives me some
hope is the number of deaths.

The cases skyrocket but the deaths did not.

I understand that deaths lag cases so I’m still waiting to see what happens.

Im very hopeful that since our vaccination rates are higher at the older end of the spectrum we will see something similar.

Delta is more contagious, I’ve seen nothing that suggests it’s measurably more deadly.

I still think we are going to be fine.

The people I really fear for are the elderly who refused vaccination I hope they have a change of heart.

correcaminos

I'm not a fan of Twitter threads, either. Just the fact that they share space with the cesspool that is the rest of Twitter is bad enough, but then there's the fact that you can lose your place if you try to see responses, etc.

I'd rather see a single tweet with an article attached, if we must use Twitter.
Exactly my feelings! I really dislike these especially when they don't tell me how many more tweets are in their "article" A blog post link would be better than this.

I use twitter for links to articles or quick comments that are easy to read. This trend of twitter articles need to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom