News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

G00fyDad

Any idea why they are going with a paint scheme going from blues fading across to browns? Is that supposed to signify a different area or something or are they just trying to be artistic?

James Alucobond

Any idea why they are going with a paint scheme going from blues fading across to browns? Is that supposed to signify a different area or something or are they just trying to be artistic?
In what part? If you're talking about the paint on the CommuniCore building, it's going to be all one color now. The blue-and-brown blocking is what's being painted over.

G00fyDad

In what part? If you're talking about the paint on the CommuniCore building, it's going to be all one color now. The blue-and-brown blocking is what's being painted over.
This part. The multi colored portions. It was always like that? I swear, for the life of me I cannot remember it like this. It has been a few years since we have gone but I seem to remember it being two different shades of blue and that was it.

Creations-Shop_Full_43046.jpg

trainplane3

Yep, no more of this crap:
Creations-Shop_Full_43049.jpg

And more of this:
world-celebration-construction-07032021-1-1400x1400.jpg

Creations-Shop_Full_42535.jpg

Creations-Shop_Full_42536.jpg

trainplane3

Looking at Epcot, I'd say WDI has not figured anything out. Or, at the absolute minimum, management doesn't have the foggiest clue.
Well, you're right there. I still laugh at how the bits they're getting right is really just reverting to the original design with slight tweaks to them. It says a lot about 80's WED vs 201X WDI.

It's not even an argument of "the 80's were better". The 90's overhauls really did mess things up.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well, you're right there. I still laugh at how the bits they're getting right is really just reverting to the original design with slight tweaks to them. It says a lot about 80's WED vs 201X WDI.

It's not even an argument of "the 80's were better". The 90's overhauls really did mess things up.

I find it fascinating how many people absolutely gush over some of what Disney has done in this park, yet are completely ignorant of the fact that what they are loving is, in fact, what the park used to look like. It's like independent thinking has gone out the window in favor of reading an Instagram post and accepting it as indisputable truth. Hmm... actually, that's what a wide swath of today's society does. You can see the results every day. 🤦‍♂️

James Alucobond

I find it fascinating how many people absolutely gush over some of what Disney has done in this park, yet are completely ignorant of the fact that what they are loving is, in fact, what the park used to look like. It's like independent thinking has gone out the window in favor of reading an Instagram post and accepting it as indisputable truth. Hmm... actually, that's what a wide swath of today's society does. You can see the results every day. 🤦‍♂️
While effusive praise is not warranted, the idea that the original Imagineers got everything right, that the new ones are just now realizing that, and that everything in between the original build and the reversion was a mistake is very much rooted in hindsight. We're simply at a fortuitous moment when a lot of styles popular at the time have come back into vogue and reversion happens to generally be the right decision from an aesthetic standpoint. There will come a time in the not-so-distant future when the gray of CommuniCore is once more seen as sad and tired and will be splashed over with a series of different hues, and that decision won't necessarily be wrong in the moment either. This is not to say that there aren't decisions I disagree with, just that it's easy to see why people are excited about the changes since they are probably less concerned with the history and more with how the updates mesh with current sensibilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom