Interesting facts

Goofyernmost

In 1922, in Rockport, MA, a mechanical engineer built himself a house, made out of newspaper. It still stands today.

To be fair, paper started out as wood. I used to heat my house with misprinted newsprint paper, Ink and all. Kept the house warm and the chimney clean. Amazingly bundles burnt just as long as logs.

trr1

Original Poster

Kleenex tissues were originally intended for gas masks​

When there was a cotton shortage during World War I, Kimberly-Clark developed a thin, flat cotton substitute that the army tried to use as a filter in gas masks. The war ended before scientists perfected the material for gas masks, so the company redeveloped it to be smoother and softer, then marketed Kleenex as facial tissue instead.

trr1

Original Poster
The super popular and tasty M & Ms candy was invented in 1941 exclusively for the military.

M&Ms were the first candy to go to space.​

Astronaut Loren J. Shriver, Mission Commander of STS-46, eats floating M&M's on the flight deck of the shuttle Atlantis during its orbit of the earth in 1992.
Space Frontiers/Getty Images
The same qualities that made them durable wartime rations made them perfect for space travel. So on request from the crew aboard NASAā€™s first space shuttle, Columbia, M&Mā€™s became the first candy to rocket into space in 1981. To commemorate NASA's final space shuttle launch in 2011, Mars even made special-edition M&Ms just for the flight, decorated with images of the Atlantis shuttle, the phrase "3, 2, 1...Lift Off!" and date of the launch: July 8, 2011.

trr1

Original Poster
The Tootsie Pop, a hard-candy lollipop filled with chocolate-flavored chewy, was created back in 1931. It became well-known for its very catchy slogan ā€“ ā€œHow many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?ā€. Well, according to engineer students at Purdue University who created a ā€˜licking machineā€™, it takes between 252-364 licks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom