Interesting facts

Goofyernmost

Globally, more people have learned ENGLISH as their second language than there are native English speakers in the world.
So, if every "English as a 2nd Language" learner wanted to practice speaking English with a native English speaker, there would not be enough native English speakers to meet that demand.
We are an obnoxiously lazy culture aren't we! I have enough of a problem with general English but now I am working on Southern English, y'all. Bless your heart!

Goofyernmost

If you want soft-serve ice cream in Vermont, you'll have to order a creemee. Even though it has an unusual spelling, it's pronounced "cream-y."
5983204496_e782841379_k-700x933.jpg

flickr/Jeff

trr1

Original Poster

The # symbol isn’t officially called hashtag or pound​

Its technical name is octothorpe. The “octo-” means “eight” to refer to its points, though reports disagree on where “-thorpe” came from. Some claim it was named after Olympian Jim Thorpe, while others argue it was just a nonsense suffix

Goofyernmost

It's illegal to undress in public in Vermont, but if you leave your house naked, it's totally fine. Actually both are frowned upon. When I was a teen I was told that there was a nudist colony along Lake Champlain. I, of course, wasn't interested, but I also was never able to find it. I also assume it wasn't year round or that is where they get the Blue Man show cast for Universal in the winter.

I'm sure some will be glad that I have run out of stuff from Vermont so it's done. I'd look up North Carolina but I think it would scare me.

trr1

Original Poster

1628023792158.png

Samsung tests phone durability with a butt-shaped robot​

Do these interesting facts have you rethinking everything? People stash their phones in their back pockets all the time, which is why Samsung created a robot that is shaped like a butt—and yes, even wears jeans—to “sit” on their phones to make sure they can take the pressure.

trr1

Original Poster

The French have their own name for a “French kiss”​

This interesting fact doesn’t date that far back. The word hasn’t been around for long. In 2014, galocher—meaning to kiss with tongues—was added to the Petit Robert French dictionary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom