150 Point Minimum Requirement for Membership

correcaminos

Original Poster
Effective June 3, 2021, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 150 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
So let’s see
150 points x $60 difference between resale and direct for the resorts with the smallest differences (AKV, SSR, OKWe) = $9000

Platinum discount is $296 for your first and $187 for renewals. So it would take 48 annual passes to make up that gap.

Or I know lots of DVC owners like to get the gold pass, that savings is a little bigger, nearly $500 your first year, and then about $340 for renewals. So that pays back with “just” 27 APs.

of course, if you go 2x per year, that’s assuming that the platinum pass would have been cheaper than just buying two park hoppers, which is rarely true, so you should probably be starting with a lower comparison price…

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So let’s see
150 points x $60 difference between resale and direct for the resorts with the smallest differences (AKV, SSR, OKWe) = $9000

Platinum discount is $296 for your first and $187 for renewals. So it would take 48 annual passes to make up that gap.

Or I know lots of DVC owners like to get the gold pass, that savings is a little bigger, nearly $500 your first year, and then about $340 for renewals. So that pays back with “just” 27 APs.

of course, if you go 2x per year, that’s assuming that the platinum pass would have been cheaper than just buying two park hoppers, which is rarely true, so you should probably be starting with a lower comparison price…
The case for direct, such as it is, is no longer Membership Extras. It's the ability to book Riviera and beyond.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Also worth noting that Saratoga Direct has seen a price increase so OKW 2057 is probably the best direct buy right now.
All three are in The ballpark of one another even with SSR at $180, OKW 2057 is certainly the best deal direct vs resale but it’s a bit of a unicorn resale anyway.

nickys

Premium Member
Also I just did a Chat with DVC.

As of today, June 3rd, the minimum buy-in is 150 points.

If you are an existing owner, whether direct or resale, the minimum add-on is 50 points.

One-time use points limit remains at 24.

striker1064

So let’s see

This is the kind of circular math I love to see on various forums. 48 annual passes... then everything after that is free!

CastAStone

Premium Member
This is the kind of circular math I love to see on various forums. 48 annual passes... then everything after that is free!
LOL.

The Disboards thread on this topic is just full of bad information on the annual pass benefit.

Everyone seems to forget how much cheaper renewals are, and no one seems to notice that comparing to a platinum annual pass only makes sense if you go three times a year.

And that the DVC discount has been as small as $20 and it could change any time.

I would say something, but I’m done with that place 😎

striker1064

LOL.

The Disboards thread on this topic is just full of bad information on the annual pass benefit.

Everyone seems to forget how much cheaper renewals are, and no one seems to notice that comparing to a platinum annual pass only makes sense if you go three times a year.

And that the DVC discount has been as small as $20 and it could change any time.

I would say something, but I’m done with that place 😎

I'll keep my comments on that forum to myself, but the biggest thing that bugs me about the AP benefit is you literally can't buy one. I'm sure it will come back, but in what form? DL is changing their whole AP structure. People are gambling a ton of money that things will just go back to the way they were.

CJR

This will probably boost people looking to buy in resale. The higher they make it, the more likely people will just give up and buy resale.

I know there's the whole "Riveria and beyond thing" too. That would require people to actually want to stay at Riveria. The question is: Is it worth it when you can stay at arguably better resorts without it? I mean, you have all three MK in there plus WL, you can still visit the Grand Californian in CA, Hawaii, etc. The higher they make it, the more likely that "Is it worth it?" answer is "No, no it's not."

dan8302

If you have a membership can you lose it? I have 150 points purchased directly, does this mean the next time this goes up I lose access to these privileges?

nickys

Premium Member
If you have a membership can you lose it? I have 150 points purchased directly, does this mean the next time this goes up I lose access to these privileges?
They have always grandfathered in those who have already qualified. That could change and the wording is crappy. However I don’t see them doing that to members.

You could always email Terri Schulz and ask her. Or jump on Chat if you see it available. I have noticed it’s often available if you don’t log onto the site first. You do then have to say if you’re a member, but by then you’re in the queue.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
This is one spot where the "money grab" argument against Disney doesn't make sense to me. They have the same total points yesterday and today, and it seems there's as much a chance they get people to buy more as much as people they'll drive away that any difference can't be significant.

So why make the change? It seems it's to reduce the growth of total number of direct members and that's probably a change is for the best. It"s crazy people were able to get direct benefits when buying as few as 25 points years ago. Our course everyone wants to have the benefits, but then many complained when unable to get into stuff like Moonlight Magic. While less of a complaint, things like the EPCOT lounge are also at risk of satisfaction issues when more and more people are eligible. There's a ton of competition for those spots (events, lounge, etc) when everyone is a direct member because the threshold was low to get a blue card. Higher requirements and a slower growth of direct members (also taking into account those selling off and losing direct benefits) could improve direct member satisfaction. Of course, much of that conclusion hinges on benefits returning or new.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

We are not really affected... DVC, 300 points direct. And keeping them.
But I have to ask, for those considering Resale Purchases...

WHAT "Membership Extras"? No more MDE, No TIW, not even any new DVC Gold Passes :(. Yes, yes... "Might come back".

Were it us, all over again? We would buy Resale FIRST, then buy DIRECT to pad things out WHEN (or if) "Membership Extras" actually re-appear, and the "Extras" are worthy of the expense. Just saying - if there is little to zero practical value to buying direct? Your wallet - you chose.

floydbeatle

So let’s see

I recently (last 30 days) purchased direct at OKW for $159/pp (It is now $170/pp). With a December Use Year I received a fully loaded contract with a 2057 expiration date. According to DVC resale market estimate a 150 point contract fully loaded expiring in 2057 is $138/pp. A difference of $21 pp/ or $3,150. I am not sure where you get the $60/pp difference, but many people assume the difference is as large as we have always been led to believe which is simply not true. Most, if not all, OKW resale contracts are 2042 contracts. However, DVC sells them direct expiring in 2057. I think a lot of folks fail to factor that into the price of OKW, to include the fact that most contracts regardless of location are stripped. Another broker is selling an extended OKW 150 point contract with all points for $155/pp. Only $4/pp less then what I paid direct. That contract does have an additional 150 banked points. However, they need to be used by October and as we all know there is no availability. Bottom line is folks need to do their due diligence.

CastAStone

Premium Member
I recently (last 30 days) purchased direct at OKW for $159/pp (It is now $170/pp). With a December Use Year I received a fully loaded contract with a 2057 expiration date. According to DVC resale market estimate a 150 point contract fully loaded expiring in 2057 is $138/pp. A difference of $21 pp/ or $3,150. I am not sure where you get the $60/pp difference, but many people assume the difference is as large as we have always been led to believe which is simply not true. Most, if not all, OKW resale contracts are 2042 contracts. However, DVC sells them direct expiring in 2057. I think a lot of folks fail to factor that into the price of OKW, to include the fact that most contracts regardless of location are stripped. Another broker is selling an extended OKW 150 point contract with all points for $155/pp. Only $4/pp less then what I paid direct. That contract does have an additional 150 banked points. However, they need to be used by October and as we all know there is no availability. Bottom line is folks need to do their due diligence.
Anyone who pays $155 or $138 for a resale OKWe contract is nuts. DVCRM’s tool, remember, is designed to maximize the commission for DVCRM.

I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase. If I absolutely had to pick between $155 for OKWe resale and $159 for OKW direct, and couldn’t wait for more sensibly priced resale contracts to hit the market, I’d pick the direct too.

floydbeatle

Anyone who pays $155 or $138 for a resale OKWe contract is nuts. DVCRM’s tool, remember, is designed to maximize the commission for DVCRM.

I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase. If I absolutely had to pick between $155 for OKWe resale and $159 for OKW direct, and couldn’t wait for more sensibly priced resale contracts to hit the market, I’d pick the direct too.
FWIW I agree that those prices are inflated. I just think that for OKWe direct the difference may not be as big as some think when comparing prices. Of course this only applies if you want OKWe as the other resorts tend to have a much larger % difference based on the direct purchase price. In case of those resorts your example tends to hold true.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
FWIW I agree that those prices are inflated. I just think that for OKWe direct the difference may not be as big as some think when comparing prices. Of course this only applies if you want OKWe as the other resorts tend to have a much larger % difference based on the direct purchase price. In case of those resorts your example tends to hold true.
There's also just the volume issue. 2057 is just about impossible to find resale.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
There's also just the volume issue. 2057 is just about impossible to find resale.
Right now, yes, but with the Saratoga price increase leaving OKW as the clear best "value" theyre converting more and more 2042 OKW to 2057 OKW that will eventually hit market.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom