Creations Shop opening this summer

Bocabear

RE the color blocked old portion of Communicore in the photos... Wow when you stand back and look at the whole thing it becomes even more baffling what they did with the paint. It looks horrible...like an urban inner city paint job to cover up graffiti on a worn out old building. Whoever was the design lead on that project should have a giant poster size print hanging on their office wall as a cautionary tale.
Absolutely dreadful...especially when you see it against the new paint...Though I wish it were not cream and was more white...

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Wow when you stand back and look at the whole thing it becomes even more baffling what they did with the paint. It looks horrible...like an urban inner cirty paint job to cover up graffiti on a worn out old building. Whoever was the design lead on that project should have a giant poster size print hanging on their office wall as a cautionary tale.
Absolutely dreadful...especially when you see it against the new paint...Though I wish it were not cream and was more white...
Bobby loves to paint stuff! its quick, cheap, and folks notice.

sedati

1626709856105.png

Okay, my memories not great, but I think I remember what went where: I think there was a liquor store on one end and a Blockbuster Video on the other with a nail salon, bridal shop, Chinese takeout, and pizza in between.
Only Studios in Paris had a less inspiring hub.

michmousefan

The biggest improvement for me is the restoration of the overhang and pillars between the two buildings. Those replacement breezeways they added (with Innoventions, right?) with the vents and the blue & green colors... ugh.

This is shaping up to be an impressive restoration of the original building. Yes, I wish both sides could have been saved, but I'm pleased with the look so far of CC East.

James Alucobond

Tear down or renovate and create something new. One is easy, one is difficult. We know which path Disney chose.
Just because you don't like the path they chose doesn't make it easier. Both options come with unique design challenges, and both would create something new despite your odd insinuation to the contrary. But it's a fact that the option they've gone with has a greater upfront cost and requires a great deal more effort from a construction perspective.

DreamfinderGuy

Tearing the structure down was far from the easy way out. One can argue right or wrong all day, but this is far and away the more costly and time-consuming option, at least in the short term.
More costly and time consuming, sure. That doesn't mean it's not easier. Filling the CommuniCores would've required some thinking outside the box for actual worthwhile content, instead we got some fountains and a wide variety of nothing in place of the building allegedly not even designed by them that was only gonna sell a wide variety of upcharges in the first place.

James Alucobond

More costly and time consuming, sure. That doesn't mean it's not easier. Filling the CommuniCores would've required some thinking outside the box for actual worthwhile content, instead we got some fountains and a wide variety of nothing in place of the building allegedly not even designed by them that was only gonna sell a wide variety of upcharges in the first place.
In the Journey of Water thread, I believe it was stated by folks in the know that the plan for the other half of CommuniCore, if maintained, was meet-and-greets, exhibition space, additional food and beverage options, and a theater. With that in mind, I think it's clear maintaining the indoor space would not have forced them to be any more creative than they're being now.

DreamfinderGuy

In the Journey of Water thread, I believe it was stated by folks in the know that the plan for the other half of CommuniCore, if maintained, was meet-and-greets, exhibition space, additional food and beverage options, and a theater. With that in mind, I think it's clear maintaining the indoor space would not have forced them to be any more creative than they're being now.
Exhibition space alone would’ve. Plus, a retrofit of an existing structure sets boundaries that a fresh build doesn’t.

sedati

I love that your "out of the box" thinking involves just keeping things in a box.

lazyboy97o

It was more space that had to be filled with content. Coming up with five good ideas requires more creativity than coming up with three.

James Alucobond

It was more space that had to be filled with content. Coming up with five good ideas requires more creativity than coming up with three.
As far as I recall from the discussion, everything that would have been planned for the refurbished CommuniCore was still happening, the lone exception being the theater, which was replaced with Journey of Water. Some meet-and-greets were still to happen in World Celebration with others displaced to PLAY!, and additional exhibition space and food and beverage options were to be included in the festival center (and presumably still will be in the festival area). I thought most of the displeasure stemmed from the lack of practical functionality due to the exhibition space being elevated and the fact that the indoor square footage has been significantly reduced in a climate that desperately needs shade and air conditioning in the summer. I get that, plus the fact that it's problematic to lose half of a planned space. On the other hand, I don't really get being bothered by losing another theater. Aren't there already, like, 7 in the park, plus more attached to Wonders of Life that they could resurrect if they actually cared?

sedati

Yes, because a smaller, more restrict box is better.
I wish the other parks had more flex space, but certainly not as a hub. Smaller structures should be more purpose built and break up this monlithic expanse.
To repeat myself:
Communicore acted as a berm in the center of the park.
Communicore contained the appendix and footnotes in what is essentially chapter 2- it was essentially Future World's post-show.
Communicore offered flexibility in what should be the most stable section of the park- its spine.

lazyboy97o

I wish the other parks had more flex space, but certainly not as a hub. Smaller structures should be more purpose built and break up this monlithic expanse.
To repeat myself:
Communicore acted as a berm in the center of the park.
Communicore contained the appendix and footnotes in what is essentially chapter 2- it was essentially Future World's post-show.
Communicore offered flexibility in what should be the most stable section of the park- its spine.
None of that was going to be fixed. The original plan that may not happen just replaced the berm of CommuniCore with an actual earthen berm. A festival center by its nature should not be stable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom