Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

EeyoreFan#24

I'm thinking functions more than departments. ESPN production needs to be in Bristol. ESPN HR doesn't. ABC News needs to be in New York. ABC News Finance doesn't. That sort of thing.

I agree, I work in a corporate hq. The last 5 years or so we’ve been on a kick to “centralize” functions. Departments full of people in hq and representatives at the other locations. If their lucky it’s one person for each function, but more often than not, it’s one person representing three or four functions reporting to corporate, since they just “represent” the areas, not do the heavy lifting.

If companies start using terms like “Global” or “National” or similar in their new dept. names, look out.

ctrlaltdel

To me, it makes complete sense that Disney would want one of their divisions to have a 2nd HQ near their largest asset. Makes a ton of sense, and I have no doubt that this initial 2k is just the start. This is a significant move and I think that more of focus on developing a larger Orlando corporate campus makes all the sense in the world, even if many of the jobs are not merely WDW focused.

Now, I think it’s laughable to suggest that Disney is looking to move their corporate HQ (or huge portions of divisions outside of DPEP) out of SoCal. Makes no sense at all when you consider the business they are in, and the collection of talent in all fields that SoCal has that, frankly, Central FL cannot compete with.

TrainsOfDisney

To me, it makes complete sense that Disney would want one of their divisions to have a 2nd HQ near their largest asset. Makes a ton of sense, and I have no doubt that this initial 2k is just the start. This is a significant move and I think that more of focus on developing a larger Orlando corporate campus makes all the sense in the world, even if many of the jobs are not merely WDW focused.

Now, I think it’s laughable to suggest that Disney is looking to move their corporate HQ (or huge portions of divisions outside of DPEP) out of SoCal. Makes no sense at all when you consider the business they are in, and the collection of talent in all fields that SoCal has that, frankly, Central FL cannot compete with.
Exactly. They aren’t moving Pixar and Feature Animation. The move makes sense because of Disney World.

Sir_Cliff

I'm thinking functions more than departments. ESPN production needs to be in Bristol. ESPN HR doesn't. ABC News needs to be in New York. ABC News Finance doesn't. That sort of thing.
Honestly, I do think they will still have to consider their ability to attract talent when moving offices to Central Florida. Tax rates may be low and the business environment may be good for a company like Disney, but they do have to think about who they can get to essentially run the company. They also have to consider how much sense it makes to have, in this example, HR located in a different city to so many of their highest-value employees.

WannaGoNow

ESPN Production doesn’t have to be Bristol. There’s nothing stopping Disney from moving ESPN’s production facilities to….Orlando. Or anywhere else they choose to build or lease studio facilities.

In fact, I’m surprised Jimmy P hasn’t already moved ESPN, but Disney has put it on the slow boat while figuring out its place in a streaming world.

Moving the theme park exec team, admin team, and support to Lake Nona makes absolute sense. Which is why Chapek and D’Amaro started planning this in 2019. GC3 is crowded, Anaheim has no room, and WDW/DCL are right there. Disney loves synergy, and they are anticipating greater productivity and serendipitous “magic” by having the team all in one place.

And that’s why they aren’t moving other divisions. In fact, I’d be surprised if most of Consumer Products go, as they benefit from access to production. Not just so they can plan products, but also to wine, dine, and impress licensees. Sure, they can give them a VIP experience at WDW - or they can introduce them to filmmakers and stars.

Figments Friend

What is this I'm hearing now about the original WED / WDI Campus on Flower Street in CA being closed?

I thought this was just some department shifts to new digs in Florida, and NOT cleaning house at the historic building where WED began and has remained ( in some form ) for the last sixty years...?

Rather disturbing, that is, if this is indeed the case.
Certainly getting that impression with what I've been seeing / hearing since yesterday.
What the....

Lots of history tied into that building at 1401.
If those hallways could talk....
Everything we as fans have grown to love about the Parks came from there.
And some remarkable talents, as well.

Closing that building...?
Sending whoever agrees to go to Florida?
The 'Disney Culture' is VERY different between the CA and FL departments.
Not seeing this as a good move, honestly.

Need to talk to some people....

😳

-

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

What is this I'm hearing now about the original WED / WDI Campus on Flower Street in CA being closed?

I thought this was just some department shifts to new digs in Florida, and NOT cleaning house at the historic building where WED began and has remained ( in some form ) for the last sixty years...?
WED didn’t start in Glendale. They moved there in the early 60s. Tom Morris discusses how this has been almost completely forgotten on The Progress City Radio Hour podcast.

scottb411

Looking to add some context to Orlando being able to support this move. Lake Nona is a 45 minute drive from Kennedy Space Center and the space program that WDI will be able to pull engineers from. In addition, Lockheed, Siemens, Oracle, and Deloitte have a very large IT presence in the Orlando area and EA Sports is opening up their new campus in downtown Orlando this summer that continues to grow. EA will continue to make Madden and other popular video games in Orlando as they have always done. I would argue that Orlando has more talent than SoCal when it comes to making attractions that incorporates video games technology like Toy Story Mania, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong with UCF having the #1 graduate school program for video game design with the University of Southern California at #4:

On a side topic, the Orlando metro area has become very cosmopolitan over the last 20 years and is accelerating in that direction that includes the opening of Dr Phillips Performing Arts Center and the dining scene has exploded all throughout the region the last 10 years in areas such as Winter Park and Winter Garden. All of the different types of restaurants that you are looking for are here now.

EricsBiscuit

No, data doesn't lie.

The latest study (of many; this myth has been pushed despite years of research proving the opposite) shows there is no "millionaire flight" from CA, migration during the pandemic was mostly from CA urban centers to more suburban CA counties, and CA continues to attract more venture capital funding in total dollars than the next nine states combined. 🤷‍♀️

Initially, Disney-MGM Studios was an animation and TV production hub. 🤷‍♀️
Oh the 1% does just fine in CA. That’s for sure. It’s the poor and middle class who struggle.

MorphinePrince

Looking to add some context to Orlando being able to support this move. Lake Nona is a 45 minute drive from Kennedy Space Center and the space program that WDI will be able to pull engineers from. In addition, Lockheed, Siemens, Oracle, and Deloitte have a very large IT presence in the Orlando area and EA Sports is opening up their new campus in downtown Orlando this summer that continues to grow. EA will continue to make Madden and other popular video games in Orlando as they have always done. I would argue that Orlando has more talent than SoCal when it comes to making attractions that incorporates video games technology like Toy Story Mania, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong with UCF having the #1 graduate school program for video game design with the University of Southern California at #4:

On a side topic, the Orlando metro area has become very cosmopolitan over the last 20 years and is accelerating in that direction that includes the opening of Dr Phillips Performing Arts Center and the dining scene has exploded all throughout the region the last 10 years in areas such as Winter Park and Winter Garden. All of the different types of restaurants that you are looking for are here now.
Louder for the people in the back!!! Orlando is an amazing city and anyone who thinks otherwise is being willfully ignorant and choosing to look only for the "bad"
Jennifer Lopez Yes GIF by mtv

UNCgolf

Unfortunately, incorporating video game technology into more attractions is exactly the opposite of what I want.

All theme park video game type attractions are going to be tremendously outdated in just a couple of years. I've never been on one I actually enjoyed -- probably partially because I actually play video games and what I can do at home on my couch is almost always going to be much better than anything I can get at a theme park. Considering how widespread video games are these days, that should be a growing problem.

UNCgolf

Atlanta is close enough. Nothing is filmed in Hollywood anymore. Everything is ATL and London.

Don't forget Toronto. There's a ton of filming there, and I'm sure there's still a decent amount in Vancouver too.

With that said, there is still plenty of filming in LA. Many TV shows are still filmed/produced entirely there, and a lot of movies still do at least some shooting in LA.

Last edited:

AFoodie

I believe the cruise operations already set up an shop in Orlando, as Disney had leased out an entire new office building for that years ago, at a time when no one was building/leasing large chunks of office space. Lake Nona offers Disney the opportunity for built-to-suit office in a growing area with high-end homes (including a gated golf community) with tons of amenities and more to come. Coming from the West Coast, they will be pleasantly surprised about the affordability here, comparatively speaking. Access to the airport is a big plus. I am surprised they didn’t choose the southwest side of town, tho, which is closer to Disney. I’m sure this will help raise our property values, tho!

AFoodie

That’s your opinion :) ha.

What’s nice about Vegas is the tourists really only go to the strip. Out in Henderson you won’t see many tourists!

That’s not the case in Florida where every convenience store seems to be a cheap Disney souvenir shop.
It’s only like that around the theme parks. When I moved here, I realized how as a tourist, you have no idea what the rest of Orlando is like. True, some areas are old Florida & outdated, but I love Lake Nona.

scottb411

Unfortunately, incorporating video game technology into more attractions is exactly the opposite of what I want.

All theme park video game type attractions are going to be tremendously outdated in just a couple of years. I've never been on one I actually enjoyed -- probably partially because I actually play video games and what I can do at home on my couch is almost always going to be much better than anything I can get at a theme park. Considering how widespread video games are these days, that should be a growing problem.
We'll have to see how Universal does with their Nintendo Land but I can see Toy Storia Mania continuing to be one of the most popular rides for years to come and incorporating video game technologies into the queues while you are waiting I think is a plus (ie. dripping honey at Pooh for the kids and the Space Mountain game for the standby line). Whether we want it or not, this does appear to be the way that a lot of new attractions are going like the new Spiderman ride at Disneyland and my original point was to show that Orlando has more to offer than what a lot of people may realize.

AFoodie

If it were to be something more than office workers - where's the big campus and environment that Disney will start moving into? Where's the A-level office space TWDC would treat like home?
Disney can build a full Class A office campus with all the amenities it wants in Lake Nona. This is the community built by Tavistock (owned by billionaire Joe Lewis). There’s still plenty of shovel-ready land. Disney will pretty much get everything it wants!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney can build a full Class A office campus with all the amenities it wants in Lake Nona. This is the community built by Tavistock (owned by billionaire Joe Lewis). There’s still plenty of shovel-ready land. Disney will pretty much get everything it wants!

still - it doesn’t yet exist and there hasn’t been any announced major development. So it’s a wYs off at the least. Is disney just gonna lease out avg office space?

2000 people isn’t a ton. Thats a only handful of modest sized buildings

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom