The Mandalorian

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can see getting Grogu to Luke to end that story thread (although, still leads me to believe Kylo killed Grogu a few years later), but having Luke save the day without establishing him is lazy writing. We are following a set group of characters, to have plot points resolved by random outside forces isn't satisfying. It felt like Uber pulled up with Luke and he was all "need a hand?"
He’s the core character of the entire universe….

there…I “established” him for you.

Professortango1

He’s the core character of the entire universe….

there…I “established” him for you.
Exactly, he's he center of this universe...but this story exists on the fringes of the universe. Are you telling me that you would be okay with the ending of Shazam not being the big carnival action sequence with established characters but rather Henry Cavil just showing up and punching the bad guy and flying away? That would be such a let down. I guess every Marvel movie can end with our characters in a tight situation and BOOM, Captain Marvel is here, uses her powers, and then flies off.

Its just not good writing.

erasure fan1

but having Luke save the day without establishing him is lazy writing.
I would argue they did establish him though. The armorer told the Mandalorian that Grogu needed to go back to his people. The Jedi. So from that point forward, Luke is "established" in my opinion. He is the Jedi at that moment in time. The overarching plot was finding a Jedi. And all the subplots from week to week were your band of no names on the fringes of the galaxy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Luke being used was filoni - I would argue from the boardroom likely at the protest of the presidio - telling a very large, skeptical fanbase that “we hear you”

that’s not to say they want to continue the 80’s…as this is a one off that gives some partial closure…but Disney couldn’t continue to defiantly say they didn’t screw up as it is evident - especially to accounting - that they did.

the same thing goes for them admitting mistakes…which they don’t do. But every move since 2018 has gone on a similar track. Like a fire truck or ambulance

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As for Luke, its like having Captain Marvel show up and help Spider-man fight Vulture. The show is about the fringes of the galaxy and the underworld. Having the biggest character in Star Wars show up to save the day without any connection feels contrived and flat. We are following these characters, we want to see them succeed. They are scrappy and in over their head, that's the fun of it. I want to see them get out of the situation through their own actions, not be saved by a Dues Ex Machina moment. Luke showing up and fixing everything is as emotionally satisfying to me as the ship accidentally hitting an electrical storm and all the Dark Troopers popping their circuits.
I never said every Star Wars story has to be the story of the underdog. Leave the Strawman for Dorothy and Co.

I said that THIS story was the story of an underdog. He's on the fringes of the galaxy, a loner without a home. This would be like having a Clint Eastwood western where he's surrounded by the evil mayor's men only to have a zeppelin show up with General Custer and his troops to save the day. Mando worked because it was small and intimate. A hired gun who develops a conscience and turns on the rogues and scoundrels he often works alongside. A dangerous underworld. It isn't the Clone Wars nor should it feel like it.

The Prequels focused on men and women of station and political importance, its not the tale of a scrappy underdog but rather a Faustian tale of a man who sells his soul to rise above his station and climb the ever increasing ladder to power and ambition.

I'd be fine with all types of stories from the SW universe. We could follow the two X-Wing pilots who find Mando in the ice caverns and their episodic adventures. An intergalactic Cops/Reno 911. SW is based upon three genres, the Western, the Samauri Film, and the War Movie. Just as there are tons of different types of stories within each of these genres, so can there be with Star Wars. Heck, they could do a SW gangster story (Book of Boba Fett) or a SW horror/survival story. Its a big sandbox, but you need to know the story you're telling. You can't be telling a SW horror story with a platoon marooned upon a planet filled with monsters and darkness only to have Luke show up at the very end and kill all the baddies. It would be out of place, just like it was here.

I understand what your saying about this story…

but the problem is Disney has made EVERY story about the scrappy underdog and it needs to stop.

starting with the first movie…Where they flipped the winner back into the scrappy underdog with no valid explanation…

…then proceeded to have car chases in space, hair bun jokes, pee jokes, riding horses on top of spaceships…and every other fifth grade writing ideas they could find…

Professortango1

And don't forget the ever appropriate for a star wars movie your momma jokes.

It wasn't a your momma joke, as that is a format. It was a diss on his mother, which is a standard insult. I mean, Shakespeare has such insults in his shows and are some of best writing in the English language. Let's also not forget that Lucas brought us fart jokes and poop jokes.

Haters just love to hate on TLJ because they want some boring version of Luke from the fan fic books.

erasure fan1

Haters just love to hate on TLJ because they want some boring version of Luke from the fan fic books.
Unfortunately I wish the only thing wrong with last jedi was Luke. If you love last jedi, that's great. Unfortunately for myself, the more I watched it, the more it just didn't sit right with me. The arguments as to why people have issues with TLJ are very well documented so I'm not rehashing them now. It's not just haters gonna hate.

Robbiem

Unfortunately I wish the only thing wrong with last jedi was Luke. If you love last jedi, that's great. Unfortunately for myself, the more I watched it, the more it just didn't sit right with me. The arguments as to why people have issues with TLJ are very well documented so I'm not rehashing them now. It's not just haters gonna hate.
I feel this way about the sequels, Force and rise were ok at the cinema and last jedi had some moments but when I try to rewatch they decline each time. The prequels are the other way round, I find I’ve enjoyed them more with each watch

Prince John

This series is too brilliant to have it tainted with discussion of sequel trilogy garbage. So says the law of Mandalore.
72121a.gif

erasure fan1

Season 1 was the best Star Wars around. Season 2 seems to fit with Rise of Skywalker and Force Awakens a bit too much...
While I don't think season 2 was as good as season 1. I would still put it well ahead of any of the sequels. I guess it boils down to if you are on team Luke or you wanted more of a fringe story. In season 2 we got the believer and the rescue. That alone puts it ahead of almost anything outside of the OT for me.

erasure fan1

If there is any doubt why Kennedy has taken so much heat for star wars, just watch the new mandalorian Disney Gallery. To listen to Favreau and Filloni talk about Luke, and what Star wars is/was to them was pretty special. When Favreau talked about R2 and then Filloni talked about watching Favreau being transformed back to childhood. That is what it is all about. All while creating new fans and giving existing fans the star wars feels. I've never heard Kennedy talk about Star wars like this. Why? Because she can't. Just watch Mark talk about Star wars while doing the sequels. Then watch him talk about this experience on the mandalorian. It really tells you all you need to know.

Robbiem

I think its a shame we never got to hear the other actor, Max, who played Luke on the making of special. It would have been interesting to hear him talk about taking on such an iconic role and how he worked with Mark Hamill on his movements etc

sedati

Are people really so intentionally obtuse as to say there was no emotional nostalgia on the sets of the recent films. Kevin Smith cried in his telling of walking onto the falcon. Hamil gushed over Yoda, over the creature shops, heck, was excited to see they still had targeting computers. Feel-good nostalgia and reunions abounded in the new features unless of course, you blocked all that out just to fit your narrative or if most of the Star Wars content you consume are youtube rants.

Don't listen to "real" fans. They tried to cancel Asoka, calling her a Disney Channel reject. Then tried to cancel Rebels saying it was just Disney doing Star Wars Aladdin. All after they SUCCESSFULLY canceled George Lucas.

erasure fan1

Are people really so intentionally obtuse as to say there was no emotional nostalgia on the sets of the recent films. Kevin Smith cried in his telling of walking onto the falcon. Hamil gushed over Yoda, over the creature shops, heck, was excited to see they still had targeting computers. Feel-good nostalgia and reunions abounded in the new features unless of course, you blocked all that out just to fit your narrative
Yes, of course there is nostalgia in the sequel trilogy. I've never said different. Why do you think force awakens did over 2 billion? Did you see all the press stuff where Mark was saying he fundamentally disagreed with Rians vision of Luke? The Mandolorian had nostalgia coupled with great respect for what came before. The sequels, not so much. If you think the reason people are upset with the sequels is lack of nostalgia, you haven't been listening. A few great nostalgia moments, doesn't make a great trilogy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom