• Best Drama Series - The Mandalorian
  • Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Giancarlo Esposito
  • Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series - Timothy Olyphant
  • Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series - Carl Weathers
  • Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - The Mandalorian
You can find the other 19 here:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Best surprise moment imo since "I Am Your Father" back in 1980. Which can be a good or bad thing moving forward. Will it be like all SW movies since 1980, where most "surprises" seem a bit underwhelming?

Not doubting the next season of Mando will be great, but seriously how do you top that?
Nothing about Disney letting favreau and filoni “apologize”…that’s exactly what they did…is “bad”

reinventing the wheel has never worked in the Star Wars ethos…so start making round wheels again

and for heavens sakes…you never needed to top it…it was obvious. Just follow the River to the sea.

that’s a substitute…but it was close to what every single fan dreamed about since 1983…

…and Even if we’re old, crotchety and not progressive…here’s the important thing we have:

the money

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That should say "only kept secret"

;)
The second season was rather straightforward…but did you enjoy it? Would you watch it again?

that’s all that matters and it’s quite refreshing.

of the vaunted “recent” trilogy…I’ve seen exactly 3.5 showings of all 3 movies combined.

ive watched attack of the clones more on tnt than that.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Best surprise moment imo since "I Am Your Father" back in 1980. Which can be a good or bad thing moving forward. Will it be like all SW movies since 1980, where most "surprises" seem a bit underwhelming?

Not doubting the next season of Mando will be great, but seriously how do you top that?
Something that actually fits within the show and doesn't seem like Luke Ex Machina?

While it was a surprise, it ruined the finale for me. Between the Ahsoka episode and Bo Katan being so underdeveloped in the show, it just felt like they were serving the fans plates full of fan-service and setting up spin offs rather than telling the story of The Mandalorian. Season 1 was phenomenal. Season 2 was okay.

Prince John

it just felt like they were serving the fans plates full of fan-service and setting up spin offs rather than telling the story of The Mandalorian.
I didn't feel this way. I felt 16 episodes of telling the story of the Mandalorian weren't ruined by 3-4 minutes tops of an epic Luke Skywalker cameo, and a collective 8-10 minutes of Boba Fett. That's a wink to fans of the OT, sure. But not "plates full" of fan-service nor a distraction from the main protagonists. I also don't see how either of the OT throwbacks felt out of place for the show.

For me personally, the weird frog creature lady carrying the eggs took me out of it more than anything. I don't know why, but her whole story seemed out of place and way too silly compared to the other happenings, but that's just me. Yet despite how out of place I thought frog people were for Mandalorian, it's somehow still believable for SW. This is the same franchise that gave us the emotional moment of a dying, unmasked Vader saying farewell to his son, only to be followed by Teddy Bear Picnic a few seconds later...

Robbiem

The second season was rather straightforward…but did you enjoy it? Would you watch it again?

that’s all that matters and it’s quite refreshing.

of the vaunted “recent” trilogy…I’ve seen exactly 3.5 showings of all 3 movies combined.

ive watched attack of the clones more on that than that.
I’ve found the sequel trilogy gets worse with repeated viewings while the prequels improve.

The Mandalorian to date feels like a single season to me. Yes it sets up a few spin offs etc but overall the arc of Din and Grogu is fine and I’ve enjoyed repeated viewings. To me it gets the fan balance right with just enough references to the original movies. I think it gets it better than the Bad Batch which is slipping a bit into a cameo of the week format.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Something that actually fits within the show and doesn't seem like Luke Ex Machina?

While it was a surprise, it ruined the finale for me. Between the Ahsoka episode and Bo Katan being so underdeveloped in the show, it just felt like they were serving the fans plates full of fan-service and setting up spin offs rather than telling the story of The Mandalorian. Season 1 was phenomenal. Season 2 was okay.
You serve the fans plates of service when you screw up so bad and the money lines start to become severed.

we’ve had this discussion since 1999…it made sense to try not to do fan service at first…

but the reality is: “this is the way”

people love marvel (they should)…and they made ten years of Downey quip lines and evans “aww shucks” jokes

Professortango1

You serve the fans plates of service when you screw up so bad and the money lines start to become severed.

we’ve had this discussion since 1999…it made sense to try not to do fan service at first…

but the reality is: “this is the way”

people love marvel (they should)…and they made ten years of Downey quip lines and evans “aww shucks” jokes

Yes, but it needs to fit. It would be like if Jessica Jones just showed up in a Guardians of the Galaxy movie without reason. Yes, I love her character and I'd be happy to see her incorporated, but it wouldn't fit that specific type of story. Especially if it was undeveloped like people were just expected to know who she was and care about her without in-show development.

As for Luke, its like having Captain Marvel show up and help Spider-man fight Vulture. The show is about the fringes of the galaxy and the underworld. Having the biggest character in Star Wars show up to save the day without any connection feels contrived and flat. We are following these characters, we want to see them succeed. They are scrappy and in over their head, that's the fun of it. I want to see them get out of the situation through their own actions, not be saved by a Dues Ex Machina moment. Luke showing up and fixing everything is as emotionally satisfying to me as the ship accidentally hitting an electrical storm and all the Dark Troopers popping their circuits.

Compare that the 2 parter ending of season 1 with the IG unit and the death of Kuiil...it doesn't even seem like the same ballpark.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve found the sequel trilogy gets worse with repeated viewings while the prequels improve.

The Mandalorian to date feels like a single season to me. Yes it sets up a few spin offs etc but overall the arc of Din and Grogu is fine and I’ve enjoyed repeated viewings. To me it gets the fan balance right with just enough references to the original movies. I think it gets it better than the Bad Batch which is slipping a bit into a cameo of the week format.
Bad batch is entertaining Enough…but I’m surprised how much it’s become “filoni’s cartoon grievances against Disney”

that Hera episode was 1000% pointless

backstory on a character from a show that ended?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, but it needs to fit. It would be like if Jessica Jones just showed up in a Guardians of the Galaxy movie without reason. Yes, I love her character and I'd be happy to see her incorporated, but it wouldn't fit that specific type of story. Especially if it was undeveloped like people were just expected to know who she was and care about her without in-show development.

As for Luke, its like having Captain Marvel show up and help Spider-man fight Vulture. The show is about the fringes of the galaxy and the underworld. Having the biggest character in Star Wars show up to save the day without any connection feels contrived and flat. We are following these characters, we want to see them succeed. They are scrappy and in over their head, that's the fun of it. I want to see them get out of the situation through their own actions, not be saved by a Dues Ex Machina moment. Luke showing up and fixing everything is as emotionally satisfying to me as the ship accidentally hitting an electrical storm and all the Dark Troopers popping their circuits.

Compare that the 2 parter ending of season 1 with the IG unit and the death of Kuiil...it doesn't even seem like the same ballpark.
Not EVERY Star Wars story has to be the story of the underdog.

look at how far off the rails Disney took it trying to make “spectacles”…they just didn’t understand it.

just as George didn’t understand it and went overboard trying to compensate for lack of technical development in OT on the prequels.

its characters who don’t present themselves as a joke/cheesy and a plausible (within the world) story arc.

not rocket science. Not hard

Professortango1

Not EVERY Star Wars story has to be the story of the underdog.

look at how far off the rails Disney took it trying to make “spectacles”…they just didn’t understand it.

just as George didn’t understand it and went overboard trying to compensate for lack of technical development in OT on the prequels.

its characters who don’t present themselves as a joke/cheesy and a plausible (within the world) story arc.

not rocket science. Not hard
I never said every Star Wars story has to be the story of the underdog. Leave the Strawman for Dorothy and Co.

I said that THIS story was the story of an underdog. He's on the fringes of the galaxy, a loner without a home. This would be like having a Clint Eastwood western where he's surrounded by the evil mayor's men only to have a zeppelin show up with General Custer and his troops to save the day. Mando worked because it was small and intimate. A hired gun who develops a conscience and turns on the rogues and scoundrels he often works alongside. A dangerous underworld. It isn't the Clone Wars nor should it feel like it.

The Prequels focused on men and women of station and political importance, its not the tale of a scrappy underdog but rather a Faustian tale of a man who sells his soul to rise above his station and climb the ever increasing ladder to power and ambition.

I'd be fine with all types of stories from the SW universe. We could follow the two X-Wing pilots who find Mando in the ice caverns and their episodic adventures. An intergalactic Cops/Reno 911. SW is based upon three genres, the Western, the Samauri Film, and the War Movie. Just as there are tons of different types of stories within each of these genres, so can there be with Star Wars. Heck, they could do a SW gangster story (Book of Boba Fett) or a SW horror/survival story. Its a big sandbox, but you need to know the story you're telling. You can't be telling a SW horror story with a platoon marooned upon a planet filled with monsters and darkness only to have Luke show up at the very end and kill all the baddies. It would be out of place, just like it was here.

erasure fan1

As for Luke, its like having Captain Marvel show up and help Spider-man fight Vulture. The show is about the fringes of the galaxy and the underworld. Having the biggest character in Star Wars show up to save the day without any connection feels contrived and flat.
Maybe I'm off base, but Luke showing up was just about the only thing that made sense in my opinion. Grogu is a Jedi of extreme significance. At this point in the timeline it makes all the sense in the world that the biggest Jedi in the galaxy, who we all know is rebuilding the Jedi order, would show up. I would agree, if this was just the random adventures of the Mandalorian. And Luke Skywalker shows up. It would probably seem way out of place. But not this.

Professortango1

Maybe I'm off base, but Luke showing up was just about the only thing that made sense in my opinion. Grogu is a Jedi of extreme significance. At this point in the timeline it makes all the sense in the world that the biggest Jedi in the galaxy, who we all know is rebuilding the Jedi order, would show up. I would agree, if this was just the random adventures of the Mandalorian. And Luke Skywalker shows up. It would probably seem way out of place. But not this.

I can see getting Grogu to Luke to end that story thread (although, still leads me to believe Kylo killed Grogu a few years later), but having Luke save the day without establishing him is lazy writing. We are following a set group of characters, to have plot points resolved by random outside forces isn't satisfying. It felt like Uber pulled up with Luke and he was all "need a hand?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom