Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

WannaGoNow

Do you have any idea what 2,000 full relocation packages cost? $50 million, easily.

But you're right, Disney did this for no discernable financial benefit whatsoever

Why, yes, I am very familiar with relocation packages. International ones, even.

Sr. Execs will be given white glove housing assistance and other perks, but the lower down the position, the less incentives will offered. And I’m doubtful the bulk of people are Directors or above.

Also, I’m confused. You’re arguing that Disney is spending $50M and that’s a financial benefit?

They’re moving the people because a) Disney is all about synergy, and they apparently feel Orlando would provide more synergy (and thus operational cost savings) than Glendale, where the Creative Campus is filled to bursting, and Anaheim is also out of room, with Disney looking to turn offices into additional resort space and b) Josh D’Amaro most recently came from Orlando and he probably thinks highly of execs he left behind. And yes, they will eventually save money on salaries, because Disney will adjust for cost of living.

Disney re-orgs on a regular basis. The only constant at Disney corporate is changing how, who and where people report.

I think this is slightly outdated thinking. Florida is a lot sexier now than it used to be.

I also think you're missing that California keeps a lot of people away, too. I know I'd never move to a place where I'd need $2 million to buy a decent four bedroom house within 30 minutes of my office.

I think you're NET correct, it's easier to get talent to California than Florida. But I don't think it's especially drastic.
The one factor not taken into account is that employees - especially engineers and other tech types - are compensated commiserate to their cost of living. Which is why Silicon Valley is still much sexier than Florida (and it’s only 73 degrees in San Jose today). Not that Silicon Valley doesn’t have its deep problems, but acquiring talent is not one of them.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

I think this is slightly outdated thinking. Florida is a lot sexier now than it used to be.

I also think you're missing that California keeps a lot of people away, too. I know I'd never move to a place where I'd need $2 million to buy a decent four bedroom house within 30 minutes of my office.

I think you're NET correct, it's easier to get talent to California than Florida. But I don't think it's especially drastic.

Not especially drastic, but it’s quite a drop off. Starting at the entry level California has USC, UCLA, UCI and Stanford all which are superior to every college in Florida.

Then we get need to look at the in-city and in state talent pools at a more experienced level. Orlando doesn’t have nearly the same volume of options as Los Angeles.

I own a fair bit of real estate in Orlando, so trust me I LOVE seeing Orlando grow, but I’ve spent enough time in both cities to see the differences in career and educational opportunities.

CaptainAmerica

Why, yes, I am very familiar with relocation packages. International ones, even.

Sr. Execs will be given white glove housing assistance and other perks, but the lower down the position, the less incentives will offered. And I’m doubtful the bulk of people are Directors or above.

Also, I’m confused. You’re arguing that Disney is spending $50M and that’s a financial benefit?

They’re moving the people because a) Disney is all about synergy, and they apparently feel Orlando would provide more synergy (and thus operational cost savings) than Glendale, where the Creative Campus is filled to bursting, and Anaheim is also out of room, with Disney looking to turn offices into additional resort space and b) Josh D’Amaro most recently came from Orlando and he probably thinks highly of execs he left behind. And yes, they will eventually save money on salaries, because Disney will adjust for cost of living.

Disney re-orgs on a regular basis. The only constant at Disney corporate is changing how, who and where people report.

The one factor not taken into account is that employees - especially engineers and other tech types - are compensated commiserate to their cost of living. Which is why Silicon Valley is still much sexier than Florida (and it’s only 73 degrees in San Jose today). Not that Silicon Valley doesn’t have its deep problems, but acquiring tech talent is not one of them.
Disney pays full relocation for even entry-level white collar staff. Door to door household goods, packing and unpacking, temporary housing, rental cars, pre-move home search, real estate commission assistance on the sale of an existing house, all of it.

doctornick

Well, that’s 5th gate confirmed 🤪

Obviously not a 5th gate and I'm sure this is about cost savings more than anything, but... I do hold out some hope that maybe this means there are some plans to do some expansion at WDW to compete with Epic Universe. I really don't think they can just sit back after opening up their remaining active builds in 2022.

CaptainAmerica

Not especially drastic, but it’s quite a drop off. Starting at the entry level California has USC, UCLA, UCI and Stanford all which are superior to every college in Florida.

Then we get need to look at the in-city and in state talent pools at a more experienced level. Orlando doesn’t have nearly the same volume of options as Los Angeles.

I own a fair bit of real estate in Orlando, so trust me I LOVE seeing Orlando grow, but I’ve spent enough time in both cities to see the differences in career and educational opportunities.
I notice you didn't say you own a fair bit of real estate in Southern California.

TYOTimer

Obviously not a 5th gate and I'm sure this is about cost savings more than anything, but... I do hold out some hope that maybe this means there are some plans to do some expansion at WDW to compete with Epic Universe. I really don't think they can just sit back after opening up their remaining active builds in 2022.
I was trying to joke around with that, but, there’s been murmurs about a 5th gate announcement coming in the 100th anniversary announcements in 2023/2024ish. While I don’t think it’ll come to fruition, it could be interesting to see what their new plans are when/if the EPCOT projects already started get finished around 2023 at the earliest

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Have you ever lived in Florida?

WannaGoNow

Disney pays full relocation for even entry-level white collar staff. Door to door household goods, packing and unpacking, temporary housing, rental cars, pre-move home search, real estate commission assistance on the sale of an existing house, all of it.
Door to door households goods, yes, but not the temp housing, not the real estate commission, not the home search, not the rental car (and the position was far from entry level). Sr. execs, sure. But now it’s just one internet rando’s word against another. 🤷‍♀️ I hope they are generous, for the employees’ sakes. We’ve had full and not-so-full packages. Having a full does make things easier.

Still not sure how spending $50M is a financial benefit to them, however.

WannaGoNow

How many relocation packages have you received from the Walt Disney Company? Because I've received two. My relocation package as an *undergrad* was valued over $15,000, not counting signing bonus. That was ten years ago.

Obviously spending $50 million isn't a financial benefit. My point being, the other math needs to be hugely favorable in order to overcome that and all of the other upfront costs.
One from TWDC (and less than ten years ago), several from another large media company.

A relocation for a recruited position is vastly different than moving a division.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

Engineers and tech talent care about cost of living too.

What do my real estate holdings have to do with engineers and tech talent? Still not sure why you brought that one up.

Back on topic: They also care about jobs — which Orlando does not have anywhere near the same quantity and diverse options as Los Angeles.

Creative talent is abysmal in Orlando and same with tech. Engineering has a decent presence, but still pales in comparison to Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom