Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

TYOTimer

How much, if any, of WDI is moving? I'm assuming this would be more heavy on the parks (and cruise) side of "Disney Parks, Experiences and Products" rather than the consumer products.
I’ve heard this could be a formation of an “Orlando team” like there was pre-Eisner, but I could be wrong. But I’d expect Cali Imagineering to stay

wedenterprises

Nice. So many questions...

I wonder if other offices near WDW will move too, creating a bit more space on property? I'm thinking of merch design teams who I believe are under the same umbrella?

Interesting move to bring more imagineers to Florida to focus on WDW/DCL as well. I wonder if any buildings in the Glendale campus will be shuttered or if this just gives them more needed space in CA?

Also will be interesting to see if this is mainly designers (cubicles/offices) or if a lot of the production and R&D stuff will move too (machines and production facilities)

and like most, I wonder if this will see an improvement in WDW as a whole

Walt d

I'm sure this is politically motivated. The tax rate alone may be enough for them to justify it for their employees.

It's no secret Disney wasn't thrilled with how long it took for them to be allowed to re-open California. If the state of Florida is more willing to play ball with them, it makes some sense.

As a fan, I wonder if this will mean large events like the D23 Expo will find their home in Florida as well.
D23 should be in Florida or at least near MK knot in Tennessee..

Mouse Trap

Nice. So many questions...

I wonder if other offices near WDW will move too, creating a bit more space on property? I'm thinking of merch design teams who I believe are under the same umbrella?

Interesting move to bring more imagineers to Florida to focus on WDW/DCL as well. I wonder if any buildings in the Glendale campus will be shuttered or if this just gives them more needed space in CA?

Also will be interesting to see if this is mainly designers (cubicles/offices) or if a lot of the production and R&D stuff will move too (machines and production facilities)

and like most, I wonder if this will see an improvement in WDW as a whole

Disney will surely sell some office space in California, though 2000 jobs isn’t too huge of a move. With this + a move to 3 day in office flex schedule they will be looking to save on their real estate footprint.

CaptainAmerica

Almost all of Lake Nona is dependent on one road to get in and out of the area — far from incredible infrastructure.
In and out, fair point. But I imagine the idea will be for as many people as possible to live *within.*

ETA: Not to mention, the commutes in and out of TDO or the Burbank lots aren't exactly piece of cake, either.

Mouse Trap

2000 people is a drop in the bucket for a company like Disney and will not make a minuscule decimal point difference on its tax burden.

The so-called flight from California is a myth, per a recent study that is easy to Google.

Some excerpts from media coverage of the study:

“Researchers pointed out that people who left San Francisco typically had not moved far, with many favoring Sierra-area counties and most staying in California. There had also been a “pronounced decrease” in new moves to the state’s urban centers.

“In short, to date the pandemic has not so much propelled people out of California as it has shifted them around within it,” researchers said. “The absence of a pronounced exodus from the state should come as a relief to people concerned about effects on state tax revenues.”

“It also doesn’t seem like moneyed Californians are decamping en masse, nor are big investors. “There is no evidence of ‘millionaire flight’ from California,” researchers said, pointing out that “California’s economy attracts as much venture capital as all other states combined”.

“The analysis showed that California’s portion of venture capital money was 48%, down a bit but in keeping with typical year-to-year changes, but the state continued to eclipse its oft-discussed competitors.

“From 1995 to 2005, New York and Texas each got approximately 6% of all US venture capital funding. New York’s share doubled to 12% by 2020, while Texas’s portion dropped to 3%.

“During the first quarter of 2021, New York had 15% of US venture capital money, Texas had 2%, and Florida landed 2%.”

The narrative of people fleeing California is a media storyline that’s been around for 30+ years and people who bring it up like to think they’re so savvy and current 😂

WannaGoNow

1. We're talking about personal income tax rates for the employees, not Disney's corporate tax birth.

2. 2,000 is just a start.
1) No, we’re talking about the company’s tax burden. What does Disney care about how much its employees pay in taxes? Why would that be a “politically motivated” decision? All the move means re: employees is that Disney will lower salaries. And yes, I am familiar with Disney adjusting salaries to match location of occupation.

2) Uh huh. Sure, Jan. You think they’re going to move Consumer Products? Film and TV production? Disney+? (They tried animation and TV production in Orlando. It did not last).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom