Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

And oof, you really don't want to hear my thoughts on organized religion and "god".
Nor would it be appropriate for this forum... so why bring it up?
It all started with...

"It's just going to go away".

ETA: I believed it the first time he said it.
I didn’t like him and I still wanted to beleive it! I figured he was being a bit optimisitic and the doctors / scientists were being a bit pessimistic and the reality would be in the middle. But.... not so. :-/

LittleBuford

It all started with...

"It's just going to go away".

ETA: I believed it the first time he said it.
To avoid framing this in political terms, I would also note the disproportionate levels of vaccine hesitancy among Black and ethnic minority communities, a situation that most certainly cannot be framed in simplistic “Well, that’s on them” terms.

It’s very easy to imagine and demonise a boorish caricature of an ignorant anti-vaxxer, but the real story is much more complicated than that.

LittleBuford

I know i have a relative who was raised in Christian Science, which is a large part of why she is against getting this vaccine...(and most vaccines)..
I’m sorry to hear that. To be clear, I’m not saying that certain religious (and political) ideologies don’t play a role in vaccine hesitancy and opposition, because they clearly do. Rather, I dispute the notion that a mistrust of vaccines is itself necessarily an indicator of a person’s core beliefs.

ImperfectPixie

To avoid framing this in political terms, I would also note the disproportionate levels of vaccine hesitancy among Black and ethnic minority communities, a situation that most certainly cannot be framed in simplistic “Well, that’s on them” terms.

It’s very easy to imagine and demonise a boorish caricature of an ignorant anti-vaxxer, but the real story is much more complicated than that.
Oh, it absolutely is. I was just noting that that one, single phrase set a large number of us on the wrong path very, very early in this.

DisneyDebRob

This isn't exactly a revelation. Herd immunity has a formula which includes R naught. The higher R naught, the higher the threshold is.
I don’t believe he was posting it as a “revelation”
Most know that.. I think. I believe it was just more of a data coming in..realizing where we are at.. informing people what’s up. For the most part doctors don’t play games like that.

LittleBuford

We can agree on that. At this point, it is what it is. Unless there is some drastic change in vaccine effectiveness there isn't really much more to say that hasn't been said in 75,000+ posts.
Plenty of new things are being said, but they're being dismissed as doom and gloom by those who've convinced themselves that the vaccines are the end of the story.

Disney Experience

Interesting data point from my recent covid experience. The small methodist church I go to had many vaccinated ( or so I was told) people who got symptomatic covid the same time I did( symptomatic on June 15th) a few are still hospitalized. ( Do not know if they were vaccinated)

So whatever variant hit our small church seem to get around the vaccines at a higher probability than I would have expected. Since I do not have exact numbers it could be that the breakout rate falls within current estimates assuming a large exposure event.

I am glad Pfizer took a sample from me being that I am in their trials. Even though they only disclose that they confirmed I had covid, they can do more with that sample if they choose to.

No way for me to know the variant because as Florida Today reported the local health providers in Brevard, Fl county have no means to do it ( Such as Health first) and only the state of Florida can determine type if they choose to do so. Pfizer will not tell me even if they get that analysis done with the sample they took from me.

Last edited:

lisa12000

it’s such a hard one this. The uk is now 87% first jabbed (adults) and 67% double jabbed but look at our cases. Our govt almost certainly are now unofficially going for a hybrid immunity strategy as they don’t think they can reach herd immunity with vaccines alone now with delta

this of course is controversial as this means opening up with cases higher than when we went into both our lockdowns. Trouble is what do we do? Boris said that we either open up now or we don’t do it to next spring - schools finish next week, euros finish, it’s summer etc therefore the hope I guess is that this will offset the opening up of other industries. I can see his point - of course the virus is ripping not only through rhe 18-30 group but schools as well. We don’t look like we are going to vaccinate our kids any time soon so this is the only way to get to herd immunity

Whether It will work or not I’ll let you know in a few weeks!!

LittleBuford

it’s such a hard one this. The uk is now 87% first jabbed (adults) and 67% double jabbed but look at our cases. Our govt almost certainly are now unofficially going for a hybrid immunity strategy as they don’t think they can reach herd immunity with vaccines alone now with delta

this of course is controversial as this means opening up with cases higher than when we went into both our lockdowns. Trouble is what do we do? Boris said that we either open up now or we don’t do it to next spring - schools finish next week, euros finish, it’s summer etc therefore the hope I guess is that this will offset the opening up of other industries. I can see his point - of course the virus is ripping not only through rhe 18-30 group but schools as well. We don’t look like we are going to vaccinate our kids any time soon so this is the only way to get to herd immunity

A spectacular failure of leadership given that vaccine hesitancy in the UK is fairly low and that there is more than enough of the vaccine to go around. Things should have been (and could have been) much further along before the lifting of restrictions.

Disstevefan1

The vaccine does not prevent folks from getting covid, the vaccine aids in the body fighting the virus. Opening things up will of course result in more cases this is normal and expected; the vaccinated folks should just recover easily while unvaccinated folks are risking getting very ill or worse.

The only thing to keep an eye on is the hospitalizations! From day 1 the biggest issue was the hospitals getting overloaded, so overloaded folks could not get treated for covid AND EVERYTHING ELSE!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Has the UK reached the point that the US has with vaccines that anyone who wants one can go at any time and get one?

lisa12000

Has the UK reached the point that the US has with vaccines that anyone who wants one can go at any time and get one?

Yes in terms of its 18 plus. We have reached a bit of a ceiling though with smaller amounts of first doses being done now. Always going to happen in all countries of course but the only way uptake will be higher now is if we vaccinate 12-17 year olds and there is quite a lot of resistance over this.

lisa12000

Nope. It's been less than a month since the vaccine was made available to all over-18s, and those who've received their first shot will have to wait at least eight weeks for their second.
Everyone can go and get first dose? Of course there is a wait time in between but that is the same with all vaccines so not sure what your point it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom