Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Analyst

Aren't an enlarged heart and especially with fluid around it indicative of long-term heart issues? I'm hoping one of our friends with medical knowledge can answer this.

He’s a male under 30.... that’s the group that has had the issues with Pfizer and Moderna.

How do we get over 70% of the total population vaccinated if all the males under 30 stop getting the vaccine?

Well males 18-30 can get J&J or they can choose to take the risk with Pfizer / Moderna vs. the risk of covid.

I am a male, aged 30, second dose coming on Saturday.

I’ll keep you all posted.

crawale

Last numbers I saw, a low flu year would be less deadly. So far this is about the same as an average flu year. I wouldn't say kids are much more likely to die of the flu. That's an argument people use I think to justify not masking. I do flu shots for my kid and family to help protect. I did the same with covid.

Some who are vaccinated do not have the best immune systems so the vaccine may not work well. You can get covid if vaccinated and if you are higher risk, it can be more of a flu like or bad cold as even seen here....

Just because your son and kids were lucky means all are. People act like the pandemic is over - it's not. There needs to be some responsibility by non-vaccinated. I do not see it enough locally. My state is not even 50% vaccinated. That's really bad!
There is also a thing called freedom of choice. Why should kids be responsible for adults when adults can choose to get the vaccine or not. If you choose to be vaccinated then presumably you trust that the vaccine will protect you form the worst symptoms of COVID - if you don't then why are you getting the vaccine which is still under emergency approval? If you are vaccinated why do you need masks. Sorry I am sick and tired of being responsible for other people when COVID positive illegals are sent all over the country. About time people regained a little common sense.

mmascari

You will be fine. It’s a really, really, really rare side effect.

Covid deaths and hospitalization in under 30 is also really, really, really rare.
The number of “really” is only the same if you round off the required precision.

The vaccine is many orders of magnitude less risky than COVID.

Given current trends, if you’re not vaccinated, it’s only a matter of time until you’re infected. Here’s hoping most under 12 get the vaccine choice first.

ImperfectPixie

He’s a male under 30.... that’s the group that has had the issues with Pfizer and Moderna.
My point is that if he had long-term, undiagnosed heart issues that led to an enlarged heart with fluid around it, the vaccine may not have been the issue. It's rare, but young people can experience heart failure...hubby and I lost a friend while we were all in our early 30's who'd had a pacemaker put in during his early teens; and I have a friend who's infant has already undergone multiple heart surgeries - the first of which was not long after he was born. My step-father is considered to be in heart failure at this point...he regularly gets fluid around his heart...he's in his upper 70s.

I could be mistaken, but I've always been under the impression that in order for the heart to be enlarged, it has to have been working extra hard to do it's job over a period of time...not a matter of days.

Flugell

Well you all will get to see how a country dates when getting rid of all mitigation’s whilst coping with delta on July 19th in uk - got believe me I’m so so glad about it but slightly nervous…
I understand why the mitigations are going and relieved that deaths and hospitalisations are not increasing greatly but really wish it wasn’t happening. I’m terrified for my immunocompromised husband and fear that we will have to revert to the total hermit lifestyle. The phrase “avoid the unvaccinated at ALL COSTS” does not encourage confidence. He is so much more important than the inconvenience of wearing a mask or continuing to social distance, at least in my opinion. This may appear selfish but it’s how I feel!

TrainsOfDisney

My point is that if he had long-term, undiagnosed heart issues that led to an enlarged heart with fluid around it, the vaccine may not have been the issue. It's rare, but young people can experience heart failure...hubby and I lost a friend while we were all in our early 30's who'd had a pacemaker put in during his early teens; and I have a friend who's infant has already undergone multiple heart surgeries - the first of which was not long after he was born. My step-father is considered to be in heart failure at this point...he regularly gets fluid around his heart...he's in his upper 70s.

I could be mistaken, but I've always been under the impression that in order for the heart to be enlarged, it has to have been working extra hard to do it's job over a period of time...not a matter of days.
I don’t know enough to comment too much further either. It seems that those are symptoms of myocarditis.

Figgy1

Premium Member
And meanwhile, there are those of us who are vaccinated yet immunocompromised who have been given a 70% vax rate as the goal for when we can take off our masks indoors.

This should be a team effort, yet sadly it’s not. And I am reaallllly getting tired of the looks I get wearing my masks indoors.
I don't get people giving funny looks at people without masks. There are many, many reasons people wear them. The stores around here still have signs requiring them for those not fully vaccinated and some still require them for everybody heck even the outdoor farm market is still over 75% of the customers wearing masks at least at the ungodly hour in the morning I go

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I don’t know enough to comment too much further either. It seems that those are symptoms of myocarditis.
And this is why I'm asking for clarification from those in the know...myocarditis is inflammation...the article said his heart was enlarged...medically, I would think those would mean different things?

TrainsOfDisney

It's not and taking 2 seconds to google show this. Why are you doing this? To what point are you actively being anti-vax? Serious here too.

And @willtravel I am sorry for whatever I said to anger you. I really don't know why it did.
I’ve been googling it and I haven’t seen a clear answer. If you have one please link. I said “I don’t know enough to comment much further”

And I’m not anti-vax at all.

Disstevefan1

Do you engage in anything that has a 0.5% risk of mortality from a single exposure?

This demonstrates a grievous misunderstanding of risk and how statistics can be manipulated to imply something is ‘safe’. Getting COVID is incredibly risky for what people actually tolerate and accept in their everyday lives.
All I am saying is one of the arguments for getting the vaccine cannot be that “99+ chance not to die”argument since it was already told to us unrelated to the vaccine.

A good argument for the vaccines would be that if a vaccinated person was to get exposed to the enough of the covid virus to get symptoms, they should recover quickly.

Unvaccinated folks who get exposed to enough of the covid virus could get seriously ill and could possibly die depending on what known (or unknown) comorbidity they have.

There is no 100 percent sure answer in either direction. Folks must make their best guess they think is correct for them.

correcaminos

I’ve been googling it and I haven’t seen a clear answer. If you have one please link. I said “I don’t know enough to comment much further”

And I’m not anti-vax at all.
Nothing I read says it does In simple terms, myocarditis is a disease that causes inflammation of the heart muscle. This inflammation enlarges and weakens the heart, creates scar tissue and forces it to work harder to circulate blood and oxygen throughout the body when chronic. (Fixing weird editing - on my phone)

Reoccurring can cause a chronically enlarged heart. I see nothing that says it does. Granted a medical person will be able to say for sure. That said I'm highly disappointed in the way this thread has turned so I apologize for any bluntless here. The talk to scare people away and illegal talk has me just so tired of people saying things to keep people from vaccination. Yes it's a choice, but the selfishness of not vaccinating when you can really bothers me now

Edit: my heart breaks for the family. I've known a few teens die like this over my lifetime. One sleeping and one water skiing. Friend lost her husband to this as well (not a teen) and each had long term issues. Not any less sad though.

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No
I understand why the mitigations are going and relieved that deaths and hospitalisations are not increasing greatly but really wish it wasn’t happening. I’m terrified for my immunocompromised husband and fear that we will have to revert to the total hermit lifestyle. The phrase “avoid the unvaccinated at ALL COSTS” does not encourage confidence. He is so much more important than the inconvenience of wearing a mask or continuing to social distance, at least in my opinion. This may appear selfish but it’s how I feel!

I'm just wish it was happening in another 5-6 weeks time, to get more second doses in arms. As I only turned 30 last month, I've only had one shot of Pfizer so far and it'll be another 4 weeks until I get my second - then it's waiting a couple of weeks for it take full effect!

Despite us being able to go maskless from 19th July, my wife and I are going to wait until we're at least fully vaccinated before considering not wearing them to stores etc.

TrainsOfDisney

Nothing I read says it does In simple terms, myocarditis is a disease that causes inflammation of the heart muscle. This inflammation enlarges and weakens the heart, creates scar tissue and forces it to work harder to circulate blood and oxygen throughout the body.

Reoccurring can cause a chronically enlarged heart. I see nothing that says it does. Granted a medical person will be able to say for sure. That said I'm highly disappointed in the way this thread has turned so I apologize for any bluntless here. The talk to scare people away and illegal talk has me just so tired of people saying things to keep people from vaccination. Yes it's a choice, but the selfishness of not vaccinating when you can really bothers me now

We are in a really weird place right now. There’s people that think everyone should get the vaccine. No room for any discussion. Ask a question, you’re anti-vaccine!

There’s people that think the vaccine is some sort of political plot. No room for any discussion. Ask a question, you’re a brain-washed liberal!

And there’s people that have very legit questions on both sides of that line.

The cases of myocarditis are real. I was concerned when I heard about them in Israel and now they are showing up here. I don’t think they should be ignored.

ImperfectPixie

We are in a really weird place right now. There’s people that think everyone should get the vaccine. No room for any discussion. Ask a question, you’re anti-vaccine!

There’s people that think the vaccine is some sort of political plot. No room for any discussion. Ask a question, you’re a brain-washed liberal!

The cases of myocarditis are real. I was concerned when I heard about them in Israel and now they are showing up here. I don’t think they should be ignored.
I don't think they should be ignored, either, but on the same token, the anti-vaxx crowd is likely to take this poor young man dying while having an enlarged heart and using him for their propaganda.

correcaminos

Don't put words in my mouth there.

I never said all need vaccination and I totally acknowledge that there are legitimate reasons not to. Myocarditis is real and can lead to issues if chronic.

If you want causes of enlarged hearts and fluid, look here https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/enlarged-heart/symptoms-causes/syc-20355436

Making wrong connections is not helpful and actually hurtful and exactly what anti-vaxxers have been doing.

Have a health concern? Talk to your doctor. Don't? Get vaccinated. We're in a weird place yes, but not for the reasons you are stating. People absolutely are making this political and anti-vax and are the ones making it weird. Your statements came off as fact which to me was saying no to vaccination which is why I said what I did. If I misunderstood i do apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom