Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

The NY Times reported some more good new today. Wyoming is the only state still in double digits, with 10 per 100,000. On top of that only 12 states are at 6 or above.

6 states are at 1
11 states are at 2
9 states are at 3
10 states are at 4
3 states are at 5
3 states are at 6
3 states are at 7
2 states are at 8
3 states are at 9
1 state at 10

Hopefully, tomorrow or Friday (note the daily reports are actually yesterday's number) Wyoming will fall to single digits and we will never see another state in double digits. Using the 2021 US Census estimate of Wyoming's population being 573,909, the number of cases is currently 10.15 per 100,000.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The NY Times reported some more good new today. Wyoming is the only state still in double digits, with 10 per 100,000. On top of that only 12 states are at 6 or above.

6 states are at 1
11 states are at 2
9 states are at 3
10 states are at 4
3 states are at 5
3 states are at 6
3 states are at 7
2 states are at 8
3 states are at 9
1 state at 10

Hopefully, tomorrow or Friday (note the daily reports are actually yesterday's number) Wyoming will fall to single digits and we will never see another state in double digits. Using the 2021 US Census estimate of Wyoming's population being 573,909, the number of cases is currently 10.15 per 100,000.
The weather is surely helping...killing viruses (nature tends to do that)...

...plenty of time till October/November to get shots and then maybe boosters...

...don’t really have many excuses left

Heppenheimer

Predictions from Vermont's chief medical officer for the state's COVID response (his predictions are for the country as a whole, not just for Vermont). And sorry the format is a little off, I directly cut and pasted this from an email:

• There will be a resurgence this winter among those who are unvaccinated because
  • No protection unless previously infected
Less mask use and distancing

More traveling

• Only 30% of ages 12-17 in U.S. have begun vaccine series, which is a problem for schools this winter
  • The schools and businesses that require vaccination will have a significant competitive advantage of those that do not for many reasons
Much more efficient operations

Less absenteeism due to illness

• The U.S. will miss the goal of having 70% of those 18 and above vaccinated by July 4th
If the current rate of vaccination remains unchanged, then we will reach 70% of those 12 and above on October 31

Need 80% - 90% to prevent outbreaks

• Transmission is occurring in health care settings as people let down their guard EVEN IN VERMONT where several staff tested positive after working with an asymptomatic patient
  • Vaccines continue to be effective against variants
However, data out of the U.K. show that two doses are needed to protect against the Delta variant (B.1.617.2) first detected in India

One dose was only 33% effective

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1346

Expect boosters to be available in the fall, especially for certain groups and those who are immunocompromised

So, once again, good job getting those vaccinations done, but we are not where we need to be yet to prevent trouble again this winter.

DCBaker

Premium Member

A message from Josh D'Amaro -

"Today is a day to celebrate.

It’s the day we’re reopening Disneyland Paris Resort, and it’s the first time in 17 months that all of our theme parks around the world are open, bringing people together to enjoy happiness, hope and inspiration. Needless to say, we are absolutely thrilled!

To our guests and fans … thank you for supporting and standing by us. We’re honored that you’ve stuck with us through a very difficult time, and I’m moved by the imaginative ways you’ve kept the Disney magic alive in your own families and communities during our closures. Seeing you back in our parks and resorts has been amazing.

To our cast members, crew members, Imagineers and employees … thank you for persevering and keeping the faith, from work and from home. You’re the heartbeat of all that we do, and the true source of Disney magic. I love seeing you, and saying hello and catching up.

The last 17 months have challenged us, but they’ve also given us opportunities to make bold decisions and reimagine our business for the future.

We’ve redesigned our operations, putting technology at your fingertips with options like mobile ordering and online hotel check-in … taken a new approach to live entertainment to create surprising magical moments … focused more than ever on creating an inclusive environment where everyone is welcome … and marveled at our Imagineers’ work to create years’ worth of new experiences. I’m proud of how our teams have used creativity, imagination and technology to do things we’ve always dreamed of, that can only be found at Disney.

Today in Paris, our cast members are happily welcoming guests back, with a new attraction in Walt Disney Studios Park: Cars ROAD TRIP. Next week we’ll open Disney’s Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel. Congratulations to our team, and I can’t wait to visit and walk the parks with you.

The relaunch of Disney Cruise Line is on the horizon, and our resort hotels are continuing to reopen around the world. Adventures by Disney is adding new itineraries and expanding our Private Adventures portfolio. Consumer Products, Games and Publishing has pivoted beautifully to meet the needs of guests and fans worldwide. And we’re celebrating important anniversaries around the globe – 5 years at Shanghai Disney Resort, 15 at Hong Kong Disneyland and soon 50 at Walt Disney World Resort!

As you can see, we have a lot to celebrate today, and we’re incredibly optimistic about our future. The world is beginning to recover and reopen, and while we still have work ahead … we will always rise to the challenges and opportunities that shape our business, and embrace a future full of endless possibilities.:"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Predictions from Vermont's chief medical officer for the state's COVID response (his predictions are for the country as a whole, not just for Vermont). And sorry the format is a little off, I directly cut and pasted this from an email:

• There will be a resurgence this winter among those who are unvaccinated because
  • No protection unless previously infected
Less mask use and distancing

More traveling

• Only 30% of ages 12-17 in U.S. have begun vaccine series, which is a problem for schools this winter
  • The schools and businesses that require vaccination will have a significant competitive advantage of those that do not for many reasons
Much more efficient operations

Less absenteeism due to illness

• The U.S. will miss the goal of having 70% of those 18 and above vaccinated by July 4th
If the current rate of vaccination remains unchanged, then we will reach 70% of those 12 and above on October 31

Need 80% - 90% to prevent outbreaks

• Transmission is occurring in health care settings as people let down their guard EVEN IN VERMONT where several staff tested positive after working with an asymptomatic patient
  • Vaccines continue to be effective against variants
However, data out of the U.K. show that two doses are needed to protect against the Delta variant (B.1.617.2) first detected in India

One dose was only 33% effective

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1346

Expect boosters to be available in the fall, especially for certain groups and those who are immunocompromised

So, once again, good job getting those vaccinations done, but we are not where we need to be yet to prevent trouble again this winter.
This is the storm that nobody wants to hear/consider...

but here’s the deal: even if it doesn’t happen...why in the hell of hells would people want to take the chance?

my problem with “adults” is their apparent biological need (genetic defect) to “see the mistake for myself”....

but they watch ridiculous stuff on tv and will take that as “real”...

ugh

GimpYancIent

This is the **** storm that nobody wants to hear/consider...

but here’s the deal: even if it doesn’t happen...why in the hell of hells would people want to take the chance?

my problem with “adults” is their apparent biological need (genetic defect) to “see the mistake for myself”....

ugh
1623935298928.png

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
This is the **** storm that nobody wants to hear/consider...

ugh
The same emailed “warning” also included something about there being “very little risk” of a resurgence to those who are fully vaccinated. The CDC said the same thing, even with the delta variant. The Pfizer vaccine will likely be available by the fall for school children, so soon enough everyone will be able to get vaccinated.

The solution here is quite simple, and I fail to understand why some won’t get vaccinated. Part of me feels that if the virus resurges amongst the unvaccinated it’s their own fault.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The same emailed “warning” also included something about there being “very little risk” of a resurgence to those who are fully vaccinated. The CDC said the same thing, even with the delta variant. The Pfizer vaccine will likely be available by the fall for school children, so soon enough everyone will be able to get vaccinated.

The solution here is quite simple, and I fail to understand why some won’t get vaccinated. Part of me feels that if the virus resurges amongst the unvaccinated it’s their own fault.

I agree...vaccine resistance has NOTHING to do with health at this point....BS aside

RobbinsDad

Part of you? I actually hope it happens to them. The "voluntarily" unvaccinated that is.

Something tells me those hospitalized with COVID might not see the same sympathetic attitudes moving forward from healthcare workers as before.

Heppenheimer

It will be their own fault, but if that person is a coworker we depend upon, or someone who works in a key supply chain, we will all suffer the economic consequences. Anyone currently trying to buy a large end-item can see that the worldwide effect of COVID went far beyond the inconvenience of wearing a mask.

RobbinsDad

It will be their own fault, but if that person is a coworker we depend upon, or someone who works in a key supply chain, we will all suffer the economic consequences. Anyone currently trying to buy a large end-item can see that the worldwide effect of COVID went far beyond the inconvenience of wearing a mask.
You are right, but at this point consequences need to happen if the vaccine hesitant are to change their minds. I live in a very low vaccinated-rate state and I've heard every excuse in the book to reject the vaccine, all more ridiculous as the next. "It alters your DNA you know." "We're not going to see the true side-effects of the vaccine for 5-10 years." Blah, blah, blah.

Of course the ones most likely to get the shot are those who have suffered from the virus in some way - got sick themselves, lost a loved one, worked in an industry that was hurt by the virus, etc. It's those that lived in their little quarantine bubble watching Tucker Carlson every night that are screwing this up for the rest of us. So I say, let them suffer.

Heppenheimer

You are right, but at this point consequences need to happen if the vaccine hesitant are to change their minds. I live in a very low vaccinated-rate state and I've heard every excuse in the book to reject the vaccine, all more ridiculous as the next. "It alters your DNA you know." "We're not going to see the true side-effects of the vaccine for 5-10 years." Blah, blah, blah.

Of course the ones most likely to get the shot are those who have suffered from the virus in some way - got sick themselves, lost a loved one, worked in an industry that was hurt by the virus, etc. It's those that lived in their little quarantine bubble watching Tucker Carlson every night that are screwing this up for the rest of us. So I say, let them suffer.
I admit, I'll feel the Schadenfreude a little, but I'd rather have the economy firing on all cylinders and be done with these supply shocks... and I won't even get into the stupid tarrifs that we're trying to unravel that made the current situation even worse than it needed to be.

Incomudro

Didn't you hear? Just take a Vitamin D supplement and you can't get Covid!
Vitamin D has been proven to have a positive effect.
So has taking care of oneself in general, particularly not being obese.
People should use this opportunity to take care of themselves, and teach their children too - so when the next pandemic hits they will be better able to cope with it.

Tom P.

People should use this opportunity to take care of themselves, and teach their children too - so when the next pandemic hits they will be better able to cope with it.
All of that is true. And none of that is a reason to not get vaccinated as well.

correcaminos

The weather is surely helping...killing viruses (nature tends to do that)...

...plenty of time till October/November to get shots and then maybe boosters...

...don’t really have many excuses left
if needed
You really cannot quit with that can you? Yes, we all should take care of ourselves, but seeing you constantly talk about fat people gets old.... fast. Especially since I know more than a few who were negatively affected by this while not being obese... two died. We need to be healthy but also need to learn how to deal with a pandemic. I taught my kid both.... or so I hope. But if we are lucky he'll never see another and neither will I.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom