Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryJaneP

Also back on topic(ish), with the vaccination strategies for the rest of the planet ramping up, and supply for those other countries being increased, can WDW identify which countries it gets visitors from (on a descending scale) and come up with some helpful ideas on how foreign guests may also benefit from greater vaccination rates? For example, wasn't one of the halls in a DLP hotel used to vaccinate visitors. Even though the 2 week and 2nd shot routine would seemingly discourage admission, perhaps it is a worthwhile effort, may bump up vaccination rates, and may even serve as marketing/advertising for the "magic" WDW is known for.

Heppenheimer

Even in Vermont, where we have over 80% of the eligible population vaccinated with at least one dose, we have counties that lag significantly behind, and these are the most rural and isolated. Part of this is a matter of access, part of this, though, is the same ignorant refusenik attitude we see everywhere.

And there's also this... clearly some parts of the country are doing much worse (I won't mention the, shall we say, elephant in the room that has already been discussed), but one group is lagging overall, no matter the geographic location. 18-29 year olds. This is the demographic we really need to reach if we want to get to 75% nationally. Carrots and sticks needed.

Lilofan

It’s a southern thing

View attachment 564193
While ID and WY aren’t doing so great, they currently have the benefit of good weather which will push people outside, and even so the 3 worst states (LA, MS, AL) are in the Southeast, and it by far is the worst quadrant of the US.
LA,MS,AL which are dead last is no surprise. I've spent time in those states. It is a totally different mindset but the food and hospitality are oh so good...

ABQ

I'm not certain you can place so much hesitancy on politics or political viewpoints.
Here in the desert, the largest group, in population, that's pulling down our vaccine rate is not one that the polls show votes conservatively.

1623858552500.png

So what's their reason for not getting the vaccine? No one out here seems to know.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'm not certain you can place so much hesitancy on politics or political viewpoints.
Here in the desert, the largest group, in population, that's pulling down our vaccine rate is not one that the polls show votes conservatively.

View attachment 564198

So what's their reason for not getting the vaccine? No one out here seems to know.
Not to get off topic, but only 2 million people live in New Mexico? That's like the number of people in my neighborhood. So my math may be off in both cases...

Lilofan

It’s not a “southern” thing. Multiple states are lagging behind that are not in the south. it’s a combination of socioeconomic, uneducated groups, cultural, and political lines.

please stop with your insulting generalizations and stereotypes. No one retires to then move up north. So maybe get down from that high horse.

oh and ironic: the state that many Northerners move to (Florida) is lagging behind. Oops! Guess those northerners left their high education and superior knowledge back in NY!
On the contrary there are folks called reverse snowbirds. Some that move to TX move back to MN for example , Minnesota Nice beats out Texas Friendly. Another version of reverse snowbirds is when FL retirees live up North to escape the long hot summers in FL.

SamusAranX

On the contrary there are folks called reverse snowbirds. Some that move to TX move back to MN for example , Minnesota Nice beats out Texas Friendly. Another version of reverse snowbirds is when FL retirees live up North to escape the long hot summers in FL.
I know. I was just being snarky with another stereotype in response.

I am actually an aspiring northerner. I am sick of the heat and humidity almost year round and I want seasons. Lol. So I may end up there someday

Mickey2021

It’s not a “southern” thing. Multiple states are lagging behind that are not in the south. it’s a combination of socioeconomic, uneducated groups, cultural, and political lines.

please stop with your insulting generalizations and stereotypes. No one retires to then move up north. So maybe get down from that high horse.

oh and ironic: the state that many Northerners move to (Florida) is lagging behind. Oops! Guess those northerners left their high education and superior knowledge back in NY!
Tony does an awful lot of insulting and stereotyping. I know, surprising right, considering he is so "woke"!

GoofGoof

Premium Member

View attachment 564198

The unknown is the largest bucket. Without allocating those people to the other buckets it’s difficult to draw any conclusions.

Heppenheimer

I know. I was just being snarky with another stereotype in response.

I am actually an aspiring northerner. I am sick of the heat and humidity almost year round and I want seasons. Lol. So I may end up there someday
High of 65 where I live today, for example.

Unless you ski, though, you might not like our winters.

correcaminos

I work with a guy who was sick in Feb and his wife was sick too including the purple toes. She went to a dermatologist and they didn’t know what it was back then. Since it went away she just wrote it off but later suspected it was covid toe.
One of my friends was sick in mid Feb before they had confirmed cases where she lived. Pneumonia, short hospital stay... all that bad stuff. A month or so after she was sick (and she became a long hauler until vaccinated, when it finally subsided), they did test her and she was positive for antibodies.

View attachment 564198

Before some jumps, yes Latinos have about 2/3 who identify as democrat. 20% republican and the rest independent. People often assume that it's the other way. Knowing my family only one leaned more conservative but they were also military and such.

Latinos though historically, like Blacks and many natives, have a strong distrust of particularly white western medicine. The numbers that show how they are not treated the same and have worse outcomes medically due to care point to why. Yes you can look at BCP for Latinos and how they were abused much like one can try to point to Tuskegee for Blacks, but reality not be treated fairly in medicine causes a distrust. There is a lot of home remedies they follow vs western medicine as well.

SamusAranX

Dude. (Yawn.)

Yeah, it's a Southern thing. It may be other pockets, too, but you can't deny it's a southern thing.

Because you're wasting my time with questions you could have googled, and I did the googling for you, and you still don't get it because, "Gee, I just don't want that to be true, so..."

Sorry if the truth hits close to home.

There ya go.

Can you guess why Virginia and Florida are doing better? Hint: It has to do with northern Virginia and South Florida.

I have no idea who you are. Show me where I ever declared myself "woke."

And...back to the real world.
You really are asking for it on this forum. Probably one of the rudest posters here.

also; thanks for proving my point for me with your comment about Northern VA and South Florida. Shows it’s more then just a black and white “because they’re southern they’re idiots”. It's a hesitancy across various regional and cultural spectrums, all for different reasons.

SamusAranX

One of my friends was sick in mid Feb before they had confirmed cases where she lived. Pneumonia, short hospital stay... all that bad stuff. A month or so after she was sick (and she became a long hauler until vaccinated, when it finally subsided), they did test her and she was positive for antibodies.

Before some jumps, yes Latinos have about 2/3 who identify as democrat. 20% republican and the rest independent. People often assume that it's the other way. Knowing my family only one leaned more conservative but they were also military and such.

Latinos though historically, like Blacks and many natives, have a strong distrust of particularly white western medicine. The numbers that show how they are not treated the same and have worse outcomes medically due to care point to why. Yes you can look at BCP for Latinos and how they were abused much like one can try to point to Tuskegee for Blacks, but reality not be treated fairly in medicine causes a distrust. There is a lot of home remedies they follow vs western medicine as well.

This. I think it helps explain some of the lag in GA and MS as well and Midwestern states with Native reservations; they have a higher percentage of rural, minority populations who justifiably do not trust the health care system.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be fair a lot of theories on a lot of things over the last year lacked support or were dismissed not always, but largely/solely as to who the messenger of said point was.

Case in point the origins of said virus was dismissed vehemently by anyone who strayed away from “it was naturally occurring” stance. Those of us who asked the question of whether it was inadvertently released from a lab to borrow your phrase were labeled “kooks”.

But now that it’s being investigated as a plausibly? What changed? (Note thats rhetorical) and further note so I am crystal clear: I didn’t say it was created in a lab.

And this ties into this topic here because it’s important to understand why so Disney isn’t closed again and the fanatics can get their fix.
The reality is that didn’t matter.

even if Lab born...what good would sending an army tank division in do?

that is ultimately pointless. They may have had a lab incident...but guess what other countries could have that happen?

But origin doesn’t cover the “herd immunity...I want my damn fireworks” stance that was very thinly veiled stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom