FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Glimpses

There is an inherent benefit to staying at Poly, GF, and Contemporary based on their proximity to the Magic Kingdom and being on the monorail to access Epcot. If you don't want to call this a perk, ok, whatever, but you're splitting hairs. But it's something you do not get by staying off property or at a less expensive Disney property that many find worth the expense to get that benefit (perk).
Again, it is not splitting hairs. And again, I am not saying there is no value in staying at the Disney resorts. There is literally something called "resort benefits." It's not subjective.

Right now they list:
- resort transportation
- magic bands
- early theme park entry (not active yet)

Previously:
- FastPass+ at 60 days out
- Extra Magic Hours

There are literal actual physical benefits. That's what I am talking about. You're making this about opinion and it's not a matter of opinion lol

dsinclair

Again, it is not splitting hairs. And again, I am not saying there is no value in staying at the Disney resorts. There is literally something called "resort benefits." It's not subjective.

Right now they list:
- resort transportation
- magic bands

Previously:
- Extra Magic Hours

There are literal actual physical benefits. That's what I am talking about. You're making this about opinion and it's not a matter of opinion lol
I'm aware of the listed benefits. I thought you had said there currently were none. But as you show there are, less than before, but there are perks/benefits as listed on the resort benefits section. I also believe having a head start on ADRs is an unlisted benefit.

Disney Glimpses

I'm aware of the listed benefits. I thought you had said there currently were none. But as you show there are, less than before, but there are perks/benefits as listed on the resort benefits section. I also believe having a head start on ADRs is an unlisted benefit.
anyone can use resort transportation or magic bands and early entry is not an active perk. seems like we're kinda just destined to disagree regardless of the facts so I'll bow out of this conversation

dovetail65

I guess we'll agree to disagree

It's not really an agree to disagree thing. You're talking about a perk as in something that makes you like a specific resort; they're talking about perks in terms of something Disney is actually offering. Disney is not offering any perks for on-site guests at the moment.

The location of many Disney resorts is absolutely a benefit, but it's not a perk Disney is offering to on-site guests.
Right now they list:
- resort transportation
- magic bands

Previously:
- Extra Magic Hours

Well definition wise a perk is not a benefit.

The only defined perks right now are the 60day FP and Extra Magic hours. Everyone can get Magicbands as they are no longer free for resort guests(I dont think they are anyhow) and everyone can use resort transportation even if they are not on resort, so those are benefits not perks.

This is splitting hairs because we are talking about the definition of a word(perks). For me I am with you, when I hear perk of staying at a Disney resort I think benefits, but technically a perk would be only something a resort guest can get and no one else. Perks can be shared, possibly an AP holder can have some of the same perks of on an property stay.

A perk is an "extra" reward or incentive on top of or in additon that we may get. A benefit is something inherent that improves, like improving the stay, like a close proximity or view.

G00fyDad

To be fair, isn’t transportation still a perk? It’s hard to beat the convenience of Disney transportation…. The fact that the Swan / Dolphin no longer uses the Disney Bus system makes me significantly less likely to stay there.

I’m not saying that should be the only perk, and I’m pretty upset about the perks that Disney is getting rid of, but Disney transportation is definitely a solid benefit, at least IMO.

The word "perk" is not what I would use to describe that.

Disney Glimpses

Well definition wise a perk is not a benefit.

The only defined perks right now are the 60day FP and Extra Magic hours. Everyone can get Magicbands as they are no longer free for resort guests and everyone can use resort transportation even if they are not on resort, so those are benefits not perks.

This is splitting hairs becasue we are talking about the definition of a word(perks). For me I am with you, when I hear perk of staying at a Disney resort I think benefits, but technically a perk would be only something a resort guest can get and no one else. Perks can be shared, possibly an AP holder can have some of the same perks of on an property stay.

Aperk is an extra reward or incentive on top or extra that you get. A benefit is something inherent that improves, like improving the stay or say a close proximity or view.
All true. But regardless of semantics, I thought I was pretty clear I was referring to something in terms of associated benefits related to an affiliation (DVC, AP, etc). In this case, a resort reservation.

Right now the clear (albeit light) affiliated benefits/perks (whatever) are:
- transportation from your resort
- ADR 10 days out

Anyways, we can move on. 😂

disneyfreak0710

To be fair, isn’t transportation still a perk? It’s hard to beat the convenience of Disney transportation…. The fact that the Swan / Dolphin no longer uses the Disney Bus system makes me significantly less likely to stay there.

I’m not saying that should be the only perk, and I’m pretty upset about the perks that Disney is getting rid of, but Disney transportation is definitely a solid benefit, at least IMO.

Honestly? I far prefer having my own vehicle. I don't find busy, crowded, uncomfortable buses that I have to stand in line for at the end of the day a huge perk.

Weather_Lady

Right now they list:
- resort transportation
- magic bands

Previously:
- Extra Magic Hours

Just to point out (and to emphasize your point about the current relative dearth of resort benefits):
- "Resort transportation" is in some ways an illusory benefit. It's not free as you're paying for it in your exponentially-higher-than-offsite room rate. Furthermore, once on property, it's available to anyone, not just resort guests.
- MagicBands haven't been free since 2020. Anyone who wants one can buy one to use, but resort guests don't currently get them for free, nor do they get any advantage in doing so other than a slight discount on pre-ordering certain bands.

As a previous poster said, currently the only benefit to an onsite stay is an increased dining reservation window (length of stay at 60 days), and of course, if you're arriving/leaving between now and the end of 2021, DME (sans luggage transportation) is still happening. I guess if we want to include the early ticket purchasing window for Boo Bash, that might be another, but we're grasping at straws...

Last edited:

pdude81

On site benefits are
Just to point out (and to emphasize your point about the current relative dearth of resort benefits):
- "Resort transportation" is in some ways an illusory benefit. It's not free as you're paying for it in your exponentially-higher-than-offsite room rate. Furthermore, once on property, it's available to anyone, not just resort guests.
- MagicBands haven't been free since 2020. Anyone who wants one can buy one to use, but resort guests don't get any advantage other than a slight discount on pre-ordering certain bands.

As a previous poster said, currently the only benefit to an onsite stay is an increased dining reservation window (length of stay at 60 days), and of course, if you're arriving/leaving between now and the end of 2021, DME (sans luggage transportation) is still happening. I guess if we want to include the early ticket purchasing window for Boo Bash, that might be another, but we're grasping at straws...
And if you have a split stay they won't even help you book advance dining for the second part of your stay.

Disney Glimpses

- MagicBands haven't been free since 2020. Anyone who wants one can buy one to use, but resort guests don't get any advantage other than a slight discount on pre-ordering certain bands.

Thanks, great clarifications here. I wasn't intending on starting an argument or a debate about resort benefits, more pointing out that they are basically non-existent (even if you can point to a handful of incidental 'benefits') as a herring that a free tier for the new FP may be likely (if you agree that Disney wants to beef up these resort benefits).

DisneyNittany

If it was only offered to me as some kind of under the table perk I didn’t earn, then I’d feel bad. But each person can choose to spend his/her money how (s)he sees fit. You have no idea what that person did or sacrificed in order to be able to afford the paid fastpass. I think guilt-tripping people for working hard or prioritizing differently than you is bad. You made a choice and they made a choice. Respect that choice and move on.

Again, I'm not forcing anyone to spend their money how I wish.

However, I absolutely have the right to guilt people on how their spending impacts everyone else, because that's how the market works. I'm a consumer too, and I'm fortunate enough to easily afford multiple WDW and other trips per year, but it's my opinion that continuing to pay more for less is irresponsible, regardless of your means.

Here's the secret that no one is either picking up on or willing to admit though...you're not only screwing others over, but you're screwing yourself/your family over too. You're making a good/service more (appear more) luxurious/exclusive while getting way less value for that good/service. That's the opposite of how the free market is supposed to work. There are so many other options/competitors out there, we should be forcing Disney to offer MORE for LESS, not the other way around.

So, yes, but continuing to pay the fee, it can be argued that you're harming the product for no net benefit to yourself (you're getting less, it's not more exclusive, "free" items are now an extra purchase, etc.) and certainly not to others.

I don't have to "respect" that, because that's the antithesis to the consumers controlling the market. I'm not calling on the government to lock anyone up. I'm not going to harass or assault anyone for going to WDW. I will voice my concern though, because no one is just owed "respect" or "acceptance". You have the right to spend your money however you want, this is correct, but once/when it negatively impacts me/mine, I will absolutely voice my concern, especially when the stance is "Hey, you guys know if you just didn't pay this now that X, Y, Z aren't free, they might bring them back for free after a few quarterly reports."

But, that would mean a lot of people having to make short-term sacrifices, which is why @Sirwalterraleigh isn't far off in calling it an "addiction". Only addicts pay more for less to get their fix.

At the end of the day, it's not your problem to care about anyone else's feelings or issues. However, as I said above, you're still screwing yourself over.

G00fyDad

However, I absolutely have the right to guilt people on how their spending impacts everyone else, because that's how the market works. I'm a consumer too, and I'm fortunate enough to easily afford multiple WDW and other trips per year, but it's my opinion that continuing to pay more for less is irresponsible, regardless of your means.

Here's the secret that no one is either picking up on or willing to admit though...you're not only screwing others over, but you're screwing yourself/your family over too. You're making a good/service more (appear more) luxurious/exclusive while getting way less value for that good/service. That's the opposite of how the free market is supposed to work. There are so many other options/competitors out there, we should be forcing Disney to offer MORE for LESS, not the other way around.

So, yes, but continuing to pay the fee, it can be argued that you're harming the product for no net benefit to yourself (you're getting less, it's not more exclusive, "free" items are now an extra purchase, etc.) and certainly not to others.

I don't have to "respect" that, because that's the antithesis to the consumers controlling the market. I'm not calling on the government to lock anyone up. I'm not going to harass or assault anyone for going to WDW. I will voice my concern though, because no one is just owed "respect" or "acceptance". You have the right to spend your money however you want, this is correct, but once/when it negatively impacts me/mine, I will absolutely voice my concern, especially when the stance is "Hey, you guys know if you just didn't pay this now that X, Y, Z aren't free, they might bring them back for free after a few quarterly reports."

But, that would mean a lot of people having to make short-term sacrifices, which is why @Sirwalterraleigh isn't far off in calling it an "addiction". Only addicts pay more for less to get their fix.

At the end of the day, it's not your problem to care about anyone else's feelings or issues. However, as I said above, you're still screwing yourself over.
No Way Abandon Thread GIF

bgraham34

I 100% agree with your statement. If you have the money are willing to spend whatever you want for your vacation then good for you. But too many people fail to understand the value of money. I for one feel i am getting less value out of a Disney vacation so i have no problem taking less trips to Disney and visiting other parts of Florida. I even had a great trip in Tampa earlier this year and enjoyed the beach and ate at some great restaurants at a fraction of the cost with better food. So i found better value in that.

To many people give Disney a pass on things because well its Disney and they love it and think there is no place better. But would you be ok going to a bar for drink in your home town and have to pay to sit at a bar stool and then pay for ice in your drink?

G00fyDad

I 100% agree with your statement. If you have the money are willing to spend whatever you want for your vacation then good for you. But too many people fail to understand the value of money. I for one feel i am getting less value out of a Disney vacation so i have no problem taking less trips to Disney and visiting other parts of Florida. I even had a great trip in Tampa earlier this year and enjoyed the beach and ate at some great restaurants at a fraction of the cost with better food. So i found better value in that.

To many people give Disney a pass on things because well its Disney and they love it and think there is no place better. But would you be ok going to a bar for drink in your home town and have to pay to sit at a bar stool and then pay for ice in your drink?

In order for this "theory" of yours to work out then far more people are going to need to be on board with you AND you are going to have to educate all of the people that are planning on a first Disney trip and get them to cancel that trip. Until then, Disney could care less if you, me, anyone goes elsewhere. ;)

Disney Glimpses

The true business/financial reality is that if Disney's changes to their offerings are negatively impacting the overall experience, people will naturally stop spending as much or visiting as often. It doesn't need to be this concerted effort among our niché community here. They are quite religiously tracking their satisfaction and revenue numbers. As soon as they are anything but up (down or even flat), they make changes in the direction we seek.

These things will happen naturally as millions of people visit these theme parks every year. There's no need to torture yourself and not go to Disney. We make up a tiny, tiny fraction of the guests who visit and spend money at Disney.

Or on the flip side, the changes we seek won't happen in which case our opinion on their modifications to offerings are simply not as impactful to the experience (in the view of the vast majority of guests) as we believed.

They want to make money, giving people a sub par experience doesn't help them there. That will always be on our side. But if something makes them money that we don't like, we're simply out of luck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The true business/financial reality is that if Disney's changes to their offerings are negatively impacting the overall experience, people will naturally stop spending as much or visiting as often. It doesn't need to be this concerted effort among our niché community here. They are quite religiously tracking their satisfaction and revenue numbers. As soon as they are anything but up (down or even flat), they make changes in the direction we seek.

These things will happen naturally as millions of people visit these theme parks every year. There's no need to torture yourself and not go to Disney.

Or they won't happen in which case your opinion on their changes are simply as impactful to the experience (in the view of the vast majority of guests) as you believe.

disney has more psychological pull than any company...pretty convincing argument can be made.

what that does is overrides some of the simple “market dynamics” that they teach in the first week of Econ 002. (Nittany would like that ref)

so while yes...the micro curve applies...the amount of people who zealot promote or “trust” Disney based on a reputation that doesn’t fully apply anymore throws that balance out of whack.

frankly...they need more critics. It would be good for their longterm success and our enjoyment as consumers.

Disney Glimpses

disney has more psychological pull than any company...pretty convincing argument can be made.

what that does is overrides some of the simple “market dynamics” that they teach in the first week of Econ 002. (Nittany would like that ref)

so while yes...the micro curve applies...the amount of people who zealot promote or “trust” Disney based on a reputation that doesn’t fully apply anymore throws that balance out of whack.

frankly...they need more critics. It would be good for their longterm success and our enjoyment as consumers.
Absolutely! We should definitely not stop being critical. But a few people holding back their wallets in the form of some protest will have no actual impact. You're right though, they want to stay ahead of negative outcomes; and psychological pull is a big player in that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

...see...you’re gonna try and gets me all riled up...

...but I’m not gonna fall for it. I’m trying to grow as a person, right @nickys ?? 😉

Honestly? I far prefer having my own vehicle. I don't find busy, crowded, uncomfortable buses that I have to stand in line for at the end of the day a huge perk.
This is how my last trip ended up being mostly Epcot and DHS. If it wasn't for the Skyliner I'd be fine with busses, but having a near guaranteed 20 minute journey to get to Epcot or DHS is so convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom