Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but wearing a mask is unlikely to prevent you from getting any of those things. If they did, don't you think doctors and nurses (in normal times) would wear them when seeing patients with those illnesses to prevent catching them?
Our pediatrician and my PCP have both required people to mask up if they're displaying respiratory symptoms for years. I can't remember a time that there wasn't a box of masks on the registration counter at both offices.

willtravel

Our gov has been trying and Ohio has really stalled. Some hated him for the lock down (even those in his own party) and refuse to listen. I worry we'll never get 50% let alone 60 or 70%
And it's not just a few age groups that lag.

hopemax

Another oddity when we talk about how these issues have become so partisan. West Virginia, which sits right next door to Ohio and is the single reddest state in the nation -- Biden lost by 38.9 points! -- has 52.7% of the population with at least one dose. On the other hand, Ohio, which often votes Republican but is definitely more diverse politically, has 46.64% with their first dose. So it doesn't appear that you can always say that the more Republican a state is, the slower the vaccine rate or vice versa. Also, West Virginia is a more rural state while Ohio is a more urban state, so you would expect to see the vaccine numbers flipped from that fact as well. Clearly, there are more complex factors in play than just politics or whether you live in a city. But I have no idea what those factors are.
IMO, it’s evidence of where people are hedging. People in WV know that if the virus comes, they are on their own. They know how far they are from major hospitals and how limited their local community resources are. The vaccine is the single most important thing an individual can do, so that reality was able to shine through the noise for some. In other places, I think people, in the back of their minds, think if things go sideways someone will show up to bail things out. The consequences don’t get the same amount of consideration... it will just all work out.

correcaminos

Social distancing is actually quite nice. Someone bumped into me in the MMRR queue today… why do you need to be that close ever.
We were lucky and didn't get that at all. People were maybe 2-3' away on average. Not using the markers but not on top of us. As a short person I cannot tell you how many times I've been hit in the face by tall people wearing packpacks and swinging around to get me (on accident). Did not happen this time at least.

BrianLo

In a less grumpy post... I'm also super sick of the Pandemic and actually I really do feel very sympathetic because all of us are here and process it in different ways.

Canada should hit its 75% eligible vaccination target likely by the end of this week, likely sooner if the pace doesn't totally stall. Just 1.8% left to go.

Ironically, while second doses are picking up, 20% fully vaccinated will likely occur slightly later. We have an 8% gap there. Albeit, we're finally getting a huge delivery of Moderna.

I'm honestly a bit shocked. I think most of us thought it was being more aspirational than realistic. Goodbye Pandemic.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Yup, looks like we are masks and social distancing are staying as unvaccinated people will get vaccines faster by this fall or Delta variant will become dominant and will have massive spike in USA for new outbreaks. Is many vaccinated people are very danger if they got vaccinated already. Are vaccinated people have to wear masks and social distancing again by this fall/winter? I'm scared about Delta variant becoming dominanted now...:eek: We need people getting more vaccinated by fall/winter soon!

Last edited:

ABQ

Yup, looks like we are masks and social distancing are staying as unvaccinated people will get vaccines faster by this fall or Delta variant will become dominant and will have massive spike in USA for new outbreaks. Is many vaccinated people are very danger if they got vaccinated already. Are vaccinated people have to wear masks and social distancing again by this fall/winter? I'm scared about Delta variant becoming dominanted now...:eek: We need people getting more vaccinated by fall/winter soon!

CBS' instagram blurb is certainly not giving the entire picture. Not that they have space for much more, but they seem to be just looking to alarm people.

Some parts from the longer conversation worth note:
"Right now, in the United States, it's about 10% of infections. It's doubling every two weeks," Gottlieb said on "Face the Nation." "That doesn't mean that we're going to see a sharp uptick in infections, but it does mean that this is going to take over."
However, Gottlieb said the COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in the U.S. and overseas appear to be effective at containing the Delta variant, highlighting the importance of the public vaccination campaign.

"The mRNA vaccine seems to be highly effective, two doses of that vaccine against this variant. The viral vector vaccines from J&J and AstraZeneca also appear to be effective, about 60% effective. The mRNA vaccines are about 88% effective," he said, referring to the vaccines developed by Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech. "So we have the tools to control this and defeat it. We just need to use those tools."

iowamomof4

A friend of mine just got back from WDW and said they weren't running the a/c in the buses. This is the first time I heard anyone say that, so I wondered if there was any chance she just had one bad experience or something. Anyone else know? I cannot imagine they wouldn't run the air!

peter11435

A friend of mine just got back from WDW and said they weren't running the a/c in the buses. This is the first time I heard anyone say that, so I wondered if there was any chance she just had one bad experience or something. Anyone else know? I cannot imagine they wouldn't run the air!
They are running the AC in the buses. If a bus does not have working AC it is pulled from service.

However, since Covid they are running the buses with the rear emergency hatch in the ceiling open. This is done to increase ventilation in the bus. Because of this seats in the rear often feel a bit warmer and more humid than usual.

disneygeek90

We were lucky and didn't get that at all. People were maybe 2-3' away on average. Not using the markers but not on top of us. As a short person I cannot tell you how many times I've been hit in the face by tall people wearing packpacks and swinging around to get me (on accident). Did not happen this time at least.
Markers are completely gone in a lot of the queues now. MMRR didn’t have any inside or out, though you could see the reminisce of most markers.

BrianLo

sigh, masks Do NOT protest the wearer. They protect everyone else From the wearer. (for the x-teenth zillion time)

This is false. The early hesitancy regarding their use was whether they'd protect a wearer who was constantly touching, readjusting and not disposing of the mask. Unlike controlled users in hospital settings where it absolutely does and has protected health care workers for decades.

We've found out indeed on public scale usage, there is benefit.

Did you wear a mask in your practice pre-COVID when seeing patients?

Yes. Every time we've had anyone with respiratory illnesses. Usually in the community setting they were advised to reschedule, though. I've never done primary care, Pediatricians are just consultants here. It only takes one shift in a Peds Emergency department to learn not masking for patient encounters is asking for five overlapping illnesses.

disneygeek90

I went to a Major League Baseball game today. Announced attendance was 17k. I counted three masks (well, four, but one was a chin strap at best). No distancing, no restrictions for seating. We had strangers on either side of us, in front and behind. The concourse was comfortably crowded. No distancing markers anywhere. It was, by far, the most normal feeling event I have attended since March 2020. It felt great.
Ahh yes I love standing up every 5 mins to let the people by me in my row that have to get up every inning. Thank god that’s back!!

iowamomof4

They are running the AC in the buses. If a bus does not have working AC it is pulled from service.

However, since Covid they are running the buses with the rear emergency hatch in the ceiling open. This is done to increase ventilation in the bus. Because of this seats in the rear often feel a bit warmer and more humid than usual.

I bet that explains it! Thanks!

Tom P.

To be fair I don't think you know much about Ohio. Outside of three cities, Ohio is very very very much rural and very much staunch Republican. The only reason why Ohio sometimes is voting blue (though not lately) is because of 2 of the cities. The blue is very pocketed here. Cincy is not very known for being the same kind of urban land as Columbus or Cleveland is. Not even close. No way I'd consider Ohio to be that much more urban or even politically diverse - we just have our pockets. We have a lot of tin foil hat nut jobs here too.

Looking at numbers, I don't see WV doing better than Ohio at all.... in fact I see 47% Ohio (all population) and 42% WV
lol. I lived for 30 years in Ohio. But thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom