Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

OK, I get that. Though it's certainly a risk any of these early cruise ship passengers ought to be prepared to deal with, and I'm sure they were.
Agree they should be prepared for it. My job would disappear in that situation, so it's a risk we can't take. Even if the 5-11 approvals come in like they should, we cancelled Christmas in Cancun this year. Now, if testing for vaccinated individuals drops off the international requirement and the numbers of asymptomatic or mild infection hold up, I see a real avenue for international travel (including cruising), to begin again. Small tests like this, with willing participants, are absolutely needed.

hopemax

You sure about the rise in hospitalizations? I posed this same delta variant spike matter a few days back and was informed by someone here that it's certainly causing cases to go up, but not so much deaths and hospitalizations. Numbers I'm seeing in the past two weeks show the UK daily new admissions going from 127 to 133, not much of a spike. England is rising slightly while Scotland and Wales are dropping slightly. Norther Ireland is flat.
From what I’ve seen, the regional-ness and the smaller volume of affected people due to vaccination status means it won’t translate into large variations in national statistics. The new outbreak started in North-West England (Bolton, Blackburn, Manchester, etc), so you have to look at the region and city specific data. Just like whatever happens in a city in TX or CA will look blunted when you throw in stats for the whole United States.

It’s the pattern we’ve been expecting. The variant burns through an unvaccinated portion of a community, leading to a short but significant jump, and then it moves on to the next place. These cities went from a low number of hospitalizations, jumped up to 50ish, and now that’s been a few weeks, the numbers are dropping back down.

Reactions: ABQ

TrainsOfDisney

I was just delivered the cdc heart news headline as the top story on my news feed so it’s making the rounds.

Will be interesting to see how that develops.

Wendy Pleakley

And the test came out POSITIVE! Reality is cruise ships do not enjoy a great health record pre-COVID so this is not earth shaking.

Most places and/or industries that have re-opened have had COVID exposures. The important thing is that they can show such exposures are minimized to the extend possible and respond appropriately when they do occur. Hence we see things like movie productions pause filming or restaurants closing temporarily for deep cleaning.

If two cases is considered super serious, by that logic everything should be on full lockdown. WDW should not have re-opened yet at all.

Hence in the discussion here, I don't see anyone suggesting WDW be fully closed. The debate is more about when and how to ease restrictions. They can't test every guest for COVID for example, and vaccinations are still in progress, so I support the continued use of masks indoors at the moment. With a cruise ship where vaccinations and tests are all completed pre-cruise, I wouldn't necessarily apply the same standard.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to clarify, the CDC is calling this an "emergency meeting". From their webpage:

Webcast​
June 18, 2021 emergency meeting is a virtual meeting.​
Meeting time, 11am – 5pm EST (times subject to change).​
No registration is required.​

The media are correctly reporting this as an "emergency meeting".

I think the regularly scheduled meeting is June 23-25.
Yeah, it’s not the regularly scheduled meeting. I would have to go back in the thread but I think around the end of May there was discussion of a meeting being set to discuss pediatric vaccines but there was no formal agenda at the time. I believe this is the same meeting.
I think the meeting I was thinking of was the one held yesterday by the independent FDA advisory panel. That meeting was scheduled back in May to discuss the plan on approving the vaccines for kids under 12. They concluded in their meeting that they will continue with the pediatric trials which are using the lower dose of vaccine (1/3 the adult dose) and mo it or for any reactions. They still anticipate results by some time in Sept and at that time they will review and decide on a plan forward. So the CDC meeting may have actually been planned spur of the moment or in reaction to the findings in the FDA meeting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm thinking any development will be filed under "not good" with respect to maximizing the number of people who choose to be vaccinated.
Yeah, the anti-vaxx crowd is foaming at the mouth over this. Same people who dismiss myocarditis as a rare side effect from natural Covid infection and poo poo it as a reason to be concerned are now losing their minds over how dangerous the vaccines are because they cause a similar reaction in a much smaller number of people. It never fails to amaze me how people can twist statistics to fit their needs. You are right that this won’t help get more people vaccinated. It’s a shame. Not much we can do about it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the new weekly report from the Florida DOH -

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.08.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.08.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.06.21 PM.png

sullyinMT

Yeah, the anti-vaxx crowd is foaming at the mouth over this. Same people who dismiss myocarditis as a rare side effect from natural Covid infection and poo poo it as a reason to be concerned are now losing their minds over how dangerous the vaccines are because they cause a similar reaction in a much smaller number of people. It never fails to amaze me how people can twist statistics to fit their needs. You are right that this won’t help get more people vaccinated. It’s a shame. Not much we can do about it.
I wonder how much overlap there is between the anti-vaxx crowd and those who don't take their kids in to verify strep throat and treat with antibiotics, exposing them to the threat of RF. As the generation raised without antibiotics has left us, so has the amount of historic rheumatic fever patients I've seen receiving (mostly) mitral and tricuspid valve procedures and other cardiac surgeries later in life. As I have another 25-ish professional years in front of me, it will be interesting to see what level of COVID myo/endocarditis patients we see later in life needing some type of surgery or procedure. Or, like the miner's lung in WV et al, the level of persistent lung scarring. We absolutely shouldn't poo-poo the threat to kids via natural infection. It's unfortunate my family isn't near any of the trial centers. Unless some crazy threat shows up to the younger set, my 11 year old we be at the front of the line for vaccination. As was the 13 year old.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Come on. You are big on choice. These folks chose to take an adventurous risk on a floating Petri dish and deal with any potential illness, should it arise, if it arises, when it arises. I say more power to them, Bon Voyage.
Yes I'm big on choice. But if I tell someone to avoid that half-price sushi restaurant, they can still make the choice to go. I mean, more power to them.

Wendy Pleakley

Just like people reacted fearfully to vaccines causing blood clots, even though the risk of a blood clot is higher from actual COVID, and is higher from things many people don't think twice about taking like birth control pills.

It's important to know about potential side effects and what symptoms to look for, but in most cases the benefit of a vaccine far outweighs the risk.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The "foaming at the mouth" happens on both sides of this madness. And either side tends to highlight the extremes to prove their own personal narrative.

Both sides have been right and both sides have been wrong on many occasions.

This thread has devolved into a juvenile display of "the scientific study I'm referencing can beat up the scientific study you're referencing".

TrainsOfDisney

The "foaming at the mouth" happens on both sides of this madness. And either side tends to highlight the extremes to prove their own personal narrative.

Both sides have been right and both sides have been wrong on many occasions.

This thread has devolved into a juvenile display of "the scientific study I'm referencing can beat up the scientific study you're referencing".
Yes. This sums it up so well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom