Trouble in paradise officially?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
$150K is the salary of many...school teachers with lots of tenure (in wealthier states)

Not to derail the thread and topic, but I have to point out how inaccurate this is. The highest paid teachers (average salary) in the US are in New York City. The top level of their salary scale is around $120K. Just to verify my somewhat limited knowledge of teacher salary scales around the country, I looked up the schedule in about 10 incredibly wealthy districts/areas and couldn't find a single one that has a top level of the salary scale over $125K.

Personally, I live in a state which each year is listed in the top 10 for teacher salaries. My wife and I have both taught for over 20 years (which I would consider lots of tenure) and our combined salary is still below $150K.

So, I doubt that there are 'many' school teachers getting that salary.

DisneyHead123

Not to derail the thread and topic, but I have to point out how inaccurate this is. The highest paid teachers (average salary) in the US are in New York City. The top level of their salary scale is around $120K. Just to verify my somewhat limited knowledge of teacher salary scales around the country, I looked up the schedule in about 10 incredibly wealthy districts/areas and couldn't find a single one that has a top level of the salary scale over $125K.

Personally, I live in a state which each year is listed in the top 10 for teacher salaries. My wife and I have both taught for over 20 years (which I would consider lots of tenure) and our combined salary is still below $150K.

Apologies, that should say 100k. The idea being that a six figure salary is not necessarily the realm of those living exorbitant lifestyles who would only want to vacation in exotic locations. Many teacher couples in my area would have a combined income of 200k or so and they live in townhomes and vacation at Disney and east coast beach towns.

Sir_Cliff

It IS unaffordable and that is Disney's goal, to shut out lower income families and make it an Ivy league Theme Park.
Their pricing says this, but their offerings don't.

It's not like they are jacking up prices and building ever-plusher hotels or expanding guest services to create more of a luxury resort experience. They're jacking up prices and taking away services, as well as putting greater onus on guests to work in order to enjoy a WDW vacation through the increased planning and jumping out of bed everyday at 7am or earlier to experience the parks during a narrow window of exclusive access for resort guests.

This is what makes me think their strategy relies more on middle income families over-extending themselves financially to visit than attracting a higher-income clientele. The latter group likely already knows they can have a far more relaxed and enjoyable vacation elsewhere for the same or less money where they really do experience some sense of luxury.

peter11435

The ones that count do. Or are still in California. They don't have to be native, just past residents of Cali. where salaries are much higher then on then most of the east coast. It's hard to identify in those cases.
You’re still wrong

And regardless executives don’t base their pricing strategies on their own salaries. They are well aware of how much more they make than their customers, in fact they love that knowledge. It drives their egos. They’re not dumb and they have far more insight and data into the income and spending capabilities of their potentially customers than you do.

Lilofan

I have family and friends that are retired teachers . They live well with their teachers pension and SS. They enjoyed having summers off from work.

Jedijax719

My wife and I are teachers in Texas. We have one child. We went in 2018 and had no problem (stayed at Port Orleans RS-6 nights with Memory Maker and meal plan). We were going to go this June but COVID had other plans. Now, looking forward, if we were to go again, our same trip would be more than double. Thus, we've been priced out simply from the price hikes.

They're having to recoup money lost from COVID-19. The result is having less people come but charging those people astronomical price increases. I am not sure how long that business model will last.

Lilofan

My wife and I are teachers in Texas. We have one child. We went in 2018 and had no problem (stayed at Port Orleans RS-6 nights with Memory Maker and meal plan). We were going to go this June but COVID had other plans. Now, looking forward, if we were to go again, our same trip would be more than double. Thus, we've been priced out simply from the price hikes.

They're having to recoup money lost from COVID-19. The result is having less people come but charging those people astronomical price increases. I am not sure how long that business model will last.
I don't like it that Disney is pricing out the middle class but then again it can and guests will keep coming .

Jae Sea

Granted polling a few people is not the same as polling everyone and we've all see the crowds and the people who buy into everything.

The article sounds like what they're teaching kids in college these days....."you're a victim and anyone with a few bucks in their bank account is evil".

Jedijax719

I don't like it that Disney is pricing out the middle class but then again it can and guests will keep coming .
Guests will keep coming and they won't go bust. However, many families who may have been able to go once a year or once every couple of years may only go once or once in a VERY long time. Some who have hoped to go every few years may go once or not at all. And there are also those who have saved for a long time for the pre-COVID prices but would have to now wait much longer as the prices have doubled.

It will become a PR nightmare if the quality decreases, you have to pay twice as much for much less product, etc. It's a gamble. Let's see what they announce and how they adapt to less restrictions. If their numbers don't skyrocket back to pre-COVID crowds, we'll hear about it.

However, all that being said, it's not like Universal is any better. Vacations in general will become more and more difficult.

Goofyernmost

You’re still wrong

And regardless executives don’t base their pricing strategies on their own salaries. They are well aware of how much more they make than their customers, in fact they love that knowledge. It drives their egos. They’re not dumb and they have far more insight and data into the income and spending capabilities of their potentially customers than you do.
So you are sure that their personal experience has no affect at all on the decisions they make and how they look at the world of finance? Then these people are pillars of stone with no internal reference to anything? But, it really was a passing thought anyway, as I have stated over and over again, I have no connections with anyone within the company, but I do know human nature fairly well. That's not to say that I couldn't be wrong but I think the lack of knowing how the other half lives is as much an influential factor in decision making as knowing, just with opposite results.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Apologies, that should say 100k. The idea being that a six figure salary is not necessarily the realm of those living exorbitant lifestyles who would only want to vacation in exotic locations. Many teacher couples in my area would have a combined income of 200k or so and they live in townhomes and vacation at Disney and east coast beach towns.

I have family and friends that are retired teachers . They live well with their teachers pension and SS. They enjoyed having summers off from work.

@Lilofan - most states do provide a very good pension for teachers - in most states the same pension as police and firefighters (but not quite as lucrative as state elected officials). I'm glad that your friends and family have enjoyed summers off - personally, I don't recall a summer where my wife or I were not taking grad credits or taking CPD credits or teaching summer school or teaching summer camps to help with income.

@DisneyHead123 - 100k is certainly far more reasonable to look at in terms of teacher salaries, but... being the teacher that I am... I did a decent bit of research into teacher salary scales around the country today and found very few districts that had a six-figure salary at the top of their scale. Maybe 15-20 districts across the country (almost all in New York or California), but that's a pretty small percentage when there are over 100,000 school districts in the country. I accept with your premise, but teachers making over 100k are still pretty few and far between in the US.

Hitchens

Granted polling a few people is not the same as polling everyone and we've all see the crowds and the people who buy into everything.

Below I linked an article that states that many are avoiding Disney World because it's become too expensive.

I'd bet that Disney will be as packed as the law & a litigation / bad press fearing-Disney will allow this summer and during its 50th Anniversary year, but then fall off.

The following paragraph is just another Chapek-blaming rant, so you might want to skip it & go right to the article under it.
smile.png

I'd bet that Chapek thinks that Disneyland enjoyed increased attendance during and after its 50th in 2005 just because it was the 50th, and he'll underestimate that many of us frequented the park in 2005 & in the following years because Disneyland President Matt Ouimet dramatically improved the quality of the parks. (He even brought back the outstanding Golden Horseshoe Revue for a limited time -- it should've kept running.) I predict that slow Bob Chapek will cheap out when contrasted with Disneyland 2005, so that while there will be a 50th bump, attendance will fall off dramatically when the 50th ends. (BTW, they should probably celebrate the 50th through the fall of 2023.) The current Disney leaders who made cuts to Galaxy's Edge & just opened Spiderman Midway Mania instead of trying to surpass Universal's 1999 (& nicely updated) Islands of Adventure Spiderman attraction are more into short-term quarterly & fiscal year profits than the longer-term thinking of visionaries like Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, and the Oriental Land Company. And Chapek will not invest in his employees the way smarter companies like Costco, Trader Joe's, In 'n' Out, & Starbucks do; so Disney employees will not be better than Universal Orlando's. Yes, you know someone who worked at one of these 4 companies & didn't like it, but that's anecdotal. All four have in recent years been known for treating & compensating their workers better than their competitors have, & they've been rewarded for doing so.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...ou-might-think

Jedijax719

@Lilofan - most states do provide a very good pension for teachers - in most states the same pension as police and firefighters (but not quite as lucrative as state elected officials). I'm glad that your friends and family have enjoyed summers off - personally, I don't recall a summer where my wife or I were not taking grad credits or taking CPD credits or teaching summer school or teaching summer camps to help with income.

@DisneyHead123 - 100k is certainly far more reasonable to look at in terms of teacher salaries, but... being the teacher that I am... I did a decent bit of research into teacher salary scales around the country today and found very few districts that had a six-figure salary at the top of their scale. Maybe 15-20 districts across the country (almost all in New York or California), but that's a pretty small percentage when there are over 100,000 school districts in the country. I accept with your premise, but teachers making over 100k are still pretty few and far between in the US.
My wife and I have 20 and 25 years respectively and both of us make between $70k and $75k. We also live in the Houston area where that money goes a LOT further than it would in CA or NY (unless you are in very rural areas of either). So all the income stuff being discussed truly has a lot to do with where you are, how much home cost, size of family, etc.

Still, the prices of Disney and other things are based on supply and demand. Is it evil for Disney to double prices? Not really. It's their choice, but if they face a decline then it's their fault. Likewise, if it is causing people to go into debt because they really feel desperate to go, then it becomes their fault. It's not like doubling the cost of gas, water, electricity, food, etc. Nobody NEEDS WDW. However, WDW NEEDS guests. So it becomes a tug of war.

We are going to be spending 5 days in San Antonio next week and spending about $1000-$1500 which will include our hotel and doing things like Sea World, Alamo, Riverwalk, caves. Seeing how much the prices have increased in Disney World makes it a LOT LESS desperate to go. We feel extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to take our daughter to WDW in 2018 when she was 7.

GimpYancIent

My wife and I have 20 and 25 years respectively and both of us make between $70k and $75k. We also live in the Houston area where that money goes a LOT further than it would in CA or NY (unless you are in very rural areas of either). So all the income stuff being discussed truly has a lot to do with where you are, how much home cost, size of family, etc.

Still, the prices of Disney and other things are based on supply and demand. Is it evil for Disney to double prices? Not really. It's their choice, but if they face a decline then it's their fault. Likewise, if it is causing people to go into debt because they really feel desperate to go, then it becomes their fault. It's not like doubling the cost of gas, water, electricity, food, etc. Nobody NEEDS WDW. However, WDW NEEDS guests. So it becomes a tug of war.

We are going to be spending 5 days in San Antonio next week and spending about $1000-$1500 which will include our hotel and doing things like Sea World, Alamo, Riverwalk, caves. Seeing how much the prices have increased in Disney World makes it a LOT LESS desperate to go. We feel extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to take our daughter to WDW in 2018 when she was 7.
I lived in San Antonio several years 5 days is a short time to take it all in, by all means enjoy.

Dan Deesnee

In all likelihood we're simply in an odd moment in time.

There is pent up vacation demand. People will pay more for less......for now.

This moment in time will pass within 1-2 years. Disney will push to maximize profit while also maxing out guest spending. It will be give and take, how much can we cut before things start to "break"?

Some experiences, value-adds, amenities, etc. will never return. Replaced by something more cost effective/profitable. However, new incentives WILL be introduced as a result of those things they pushed on too hard.

We will land in some kind of middle ground within 3 years.

The parks mostly resembling what we remember pre covid, but different, worse in some ways, better in others, constantly evolving just as they have been for the past 50 years.

Jedijax719

This is very true. And in many cases, that vacation demand comes with decreased funds. Couple that with the fact that vacation outlets themselves have endured decreased revenues and you have a rough combination. Venues have to increase prices to make up for losses but do so at the expense of a substantial portion of their potential clientele who, themselves, have to work with less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom