Anyone else still like DCA?

HairyChest

As a frequent passholder, I used to go to California adventure once in a while for 20 minutes to walk through and get a snack and go right back to Disneyland.
If California adventure was in Disneyworld, it would rank higher then Hollywood Studios. Since it’s right next to Disneyland, it’s an afterthought.

Suspirian

It was better when the "California" in the title more accurately described its theme, and not just what state the park happened to be in.
This may be unpopular but I dont feel Pixar Pier or Avengers Campus hinder the California theme. I think it would be best to do away with it officially though.

CaptinEO

There’s the Universal vs DCA thread that’s worth reading. DCA is doing quite well. They need to develop the south east empty lot. The thing is we’re waiting for the Eastern Gateway to be approved and built so DCA master plan for Hollywood Pictures Backlot can be realized after nothing happened after the major remodel in early 2010s. Then we have Disneyland Forward that could change Pixar Pier on the west side. We just don’t know their plans yet.
I mean we're on a Disney themepark board. Create the same thread on Universal Insider and I guarantee you Universal would be winning.

SoCalDisneyLover

I admit that I tend to be a creature of habit, and don't respond well to change.

That said, the 3 major changes they've made at DCA, were all horrible as far as I'm concerned.

1. California Screamin' to Incredicoaster. A waste of money IMO. Should have just left it as is, and fixed the speakers, which were broken half the time, so many times you had no soundtrack.

2. Tower Of Terror to Guardians. Another change to shoehorn a newly acquired license into an already successful attraction. It doesn't necessarily ruin the ride, but I much preferred the Twilight Zone theme. Of course, I am a Twilight Zone fan.

3. Soarin' Over California to Soarin' Over The World. I think there is almost universal agreement that this move sucked, and the World film, with it's fake CGI, is awful. I don't think they'll ever wish to admit their mistake, and may continue to force "World" upon us, while occasionally offering California as a limited time "treat."

That doesn't even get into changing Muppets to the Philharmagic, and demolishing the It's Tough To Be A Bug building.

Little Green Men

Lots has changed but still the same problem. One issue I had with DHS is how bland it is. GE and Toy Story Land has helped a bit and a welcome change, but once I leave these lands and come back to the main park I am once again reminded how bland the park is with it's huge stucco studio structures and lack of shade. It is my least favorite park at WDW.

That being said, I still enjoy my days at DHS and don't let these issues ruin our day. I love ToT, RnRC, the Indy Stunt Show, and can't wait to ride the new additions when we return next year. However, one thing we do not do is Fantastic there. We like the DL version so much more we don't even feel the need to do version over there.
DHS isn’t really a stucco studio anymore, GE, and TSL replaced the areas with those giant structures. The only one that remains was the RNRC show building which was repainted. Sunset Blvd and Hollywood Blvd are on par with buena vista street in theme.

MouseMelly

Pixar Pier is barely themed at all at this point. I’d argue it’s not themed. Slapping Pixar characters on rides and attractions doesn’t make it themed. Paradise Pier made more sense than Pixar Pier.

Pixar Pier is just another example of the laziness that comes from Disney sometimes.
Agree... with the exception of Adorable Snowman treats. The only plus from getting Pixared IMHO

MagicWDI

DHS isn’t really a stucco studio anymore, GE, and TSL replaced the areas with those giant structures. The only one that remains was the RNRC show building which was repainted. Sunset Blvd and Hollywood Blvd are on par with buena vista street in theme.
There's still plenty of stucco left over. Just walking from the right of Runaway Railway to Toy Story Land seems like an afterthought. Echo Lake also seemed very odd to me as well. But I do like Sunset Boulevard walking toward ToT. I'm also still glad the original ToT is still its original theme. I prefer this version and glad its still its original glory.

I have to say overall I prefer the overall appeal and atmosphere of DCA over DHS. DCA still has many flaws that need addressing. But to be honest, I believe DHS has many more problems to overcome, including attraction count. Just like DCA (and even AK) DHS is also a half day park, IMO. If someone gave me a choice between DCA or DHS, I'd choose DCA. (But since I mentioned AK, I'd rather choose AK out of these three.)

SuddenStorm

It’s fine. I grew up going to DCA and it has never caught my attention the way Disneyland has and it never will. It’s been 20 years and it still doesn’t really have an identity. It’s not trash, but it’s not good either.

Wonderfully said, and I'm the same way.

It's a decent place to spend a few hours, and it has its moments. But Disneyland it is not.

Animaniac93-98

I admit that I tend to be a creature of habit, and don't respond well to change.

That said, the 3 major changes they've made at DCA, were all horrible as far as I'm concerned.

1. California Screamin' to Incredicoaster. A waste of money IMO. Should have just left it as is, and fixed the speakers, which were broken half the time, so many times you had no soundtrack.

2. Tower Of Terror to Guardians. Another change to shoehorn a newly acquired license into an already successful attraction. It doesn't necessarily ruin the ride, but I much preferred the Twilight Zone theme. Of course, I am a Twilight Zone fan.

3. Soarin' Over California to Soarin' Over The World. I think there is almost universal agreement that this move sucked, and the World film, with it's fake CGI, is awful. I don't think they'll ever wish to admit their mistake, and may continue to force "World" upon us, while occasionally offering California as a limited time "treat."

That doesn't even get into changing Muppets to the Philharmagic, and demolishing the It's Tough To Be A Bug building.

Your three examples are all rides that were already popular and well liked with guests.

"if it 'aint broke, don't fix it".

Californian Elitist

Wonderfully said, and I'm the same way.

It's a decent place to spend a few hours, and it has its moments. But Disneyland it is not.
I’ve been thinking about this. I wonder if I would feel differently about DCA if it was placed elsewhere except for a couple of hundred feet across from Disneyland. Personally speaking, its current placement sets itself up for constant comparison to the Motherland across the way. I’ve stated this earlier, but I’ve never spent a full day at DCA, mainly because after a few hours, it gets to a point where I start thinking of Disneyland, how much I’d rather be there, and how easy it is to just walk over. Maybe if DCA was somewhere in Los Angeles, San Diego, or any other part of Southern California, I’d possibly enjoy it more and could possibly be more open to forgiving its faults.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom