Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

lazyboy97o

They don't use CAD? What do they use? pencils and paper again?
BIM, building information modeling. To simplify, CAD is dumb and BIM is smart. While CAD software has been expanded to include some smart features and 3D tools, it is largely a facsimile of paper and pencil. Lines are just lines, they don’t know that they are supposed to be a thing that is part of something. BIM uses 3D models to generate the drawings that compose the “blueprints” but there is information associated with what you see, it knows there are walls, floors, roofs, doors, light fixtures, and so on and so forth. Since it’s a 3D model it can also be rendered and is then publicized as “concept art” that isn’t actually conceptual.

If you remember back to New Fantasyland there were videos showing off how they were using 3D models for coordination, that was BIM. This document also shows some of the differences:

UNCgolf

Having some sort of central festival center (especially as part of the old Communicore buildings) would have been even better if it allowed them to tear up the World Showplace and actually use that place to build a new country or even add a major ride to the UK.

There was no indication they were planning to do that, though.

RSoxNo1

The Moana theme won't be in your face. It is secondary to the main theme of the water cycle and conservation done in an engaging way for families. Sounds very EPCOT Center edutainment to me.

In fact I believe the IP utilization will be so carefully utilized that Moana could show up in another park in a more dedicated attraction. 🌋 Just my opinion.

And then something else might be added to the JoW or no IP at all. ⛲

I think we are just seeing pieces of a puzzle because the big picture of Epcot's future is still being crafted. 🎨
Just like the Poly... got it.

ToTBellHop

My vote would be an Aquatopia type attraction for Moana replacing the Swiss Family Tree House.
I’d hate to lose a walkthrough when both DAK and DHS could use it as an addition. Too much removal-and-replacing already occurs at WDW.

There is an expansion pad for Adventureland but I want something major there, personally. It could fit a mountain.

RSoxNo1

I’d hate to lose a walkthrough when both DAK and DHS could use it as an addition. Too much removal-and-replacing already occurs at WDW.

There is an expansion pad for Adventureland but I want something major there, personally. It could fit a mountain.
Where? The parade area?

ToTBellHop

Where? The parade area?
55511B3B-740E-4661-8C7B-E1F2BB51A150.jpeg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
BIM, building information modeling. To simplify, CAD is dumb and BIM is smart. While CAD software has been expanded to include some smart features and 3D tools, it is largely a facsimile of paper and pencil. Lines are just lines, they don’t know that they are supposed to be a thing that is part of something. BIM uses 3D models to generate the drawings that compose the “blueprints” but there is information associated with what you see, it knows there are walls, floors, roofs, doors, light fixtures, and so on and so forth. Since it’s a 3D model it can also be rendered and is then publicized as “concept art” that isn’t actually conceptual.

If you remember back to New Fantasyland there were videos showing off how they were using 3D models for coordination, that was BIM. This document also shows some of the differences:

That's still a CAD program though, it's not "AutoCAD" but it is a type of CAD aka "Computer Aided Design"

MrPromey

The beauty of this spot is they could put just about anything back there. Heck, they probably could have hidden the Guardian's Gravity building from in-park view all the way back there if they'd been able to come up with an excuse for the ragtag team to take their holiday at the MK like everyone else on earth seems to, instead of Epcot. 😒

... not that I'm trying to say I wanted to see this in Adventureland, to be clear...

Last edited:

Incomudro

Maybe it was just me, but the much ballyhooed symmetry of Epcot was only ever evident to me on the park maps or app. I certainly never “felt” it, boots on the ground.

I was always discombobulated coming out of SSE, as I never knew which side of the park we were entering when we exited the post-show. Will definitely be more apparent in the future, I guess.
Yes, for me as well.
I only noticed the symmetry in aerial photos.

FigmentFan82

That's cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom