Hoop Dee Doo?

val002

I don't think the recall was area specific, only that they would put them back/get first dibs on the area they where laid off from when that area began to reopen. The problem is that 20% of people in Food and beverage did not come back. 20% does not sound too bad but when you operate at the scale Disney does its pretty significant. I don't have real numbers but lets just say my quick Google search is accurate and WDW employs 77,000 people, again for argument sake lets assume 30,000 of those people work in Food and Beverage. All 30,000 lost their jobs last year. They have since all been asked back 20% or 6,000 people chose not to return. Now management has to decide where they put those people that did come back. Should they put them at Hoop or do they staff the popcorn cart at MK? A QS at AK, TS at HS or the bar at the resorts that are open. You can see how Hoop falls down the list quickly. However as I said these are just spit ball uneducated guess numbers but if more people work Food and Bev the problem gets worse, less the problem gets slightly better but no matter how it shakes out you need more people to fill these roles.

Regardless we have a trip end of Aug, would love to spend an evening at Hoop-dee-doo. Was starting to be optimistic when I heard the cast was recalled but if these staffing issues don't resolve soon, we may not be visiting Pioneer Hall till next year unfortunately.
From what I know, FOH staff would not be the reason Hoop isn’t opening yet. As far as I can tell there are still some part time BOH cast members waiting for their recall as well.

val002

Do we know if the recall was filled with operational changes that may have unsweetened the gig. Can they even do that?
CMs are not given a choice of what location they get recalled to, sweet gig or not. It’s luck of the draw until a spot in their home location opens up. If Hoop were to reopen, their staff would come back from the locations they are already working at in other locations across property. All recalls were done in seniority order, so for a spot like Hoop with high seniority CMs, I would assume almost all of their cast is currently deployed to other restaurants.

corran horn

I know some CM’s who worked at Disney full time and other Orlando parks part time.

They are now with said Orlando parks full
time and do not plan on returning to Disney.
My wife was furloughed from the tradeshow business about a year ago. We were lucky enough to survive her being out of work and now they're recalling staff. (some were laid off, some furloughed - which is like being laid off in all but name)

Many people aren't available to return because they had to find other employment and they're happy with where they are now.

Parker in NYC

Has Hoop-Dee-Doo been as popular in the last 5 years as it used to be? Just asking because I'm curious as to whether Disney really has any incentive to bring it back. Surely they can make the money back on a few After Hours and save on that cast member payroll.

ABQ

Has Hoop-Dee-Doo been as popular in the last 5 years as it used to be? Just asking because I'm curious as to whether Disney really has any incentive to bring it back. Surely they can make the money back on a few After Hours and save on that cast member payroll.
Based on how swiftly shows sold out, even on evenings with 3 showings, it was during the months of Oct to December when I normally would try to see it. Can't attest to anything outside those 3 months.

jbolen2

If you didn’t book it at the beginning of the window it would be hard to get a good seat or sometimes one at all.

seascape

I love Hoop Dee Doo just the way it is. I go every 3 years and love it. DON'T CHANGE WHAT WORKS. I think it makes fun of all of us who go while serving the best fried chicken on property. I am looking forward to seeing it again and if it is back in September, we will go this year if not I will wait another year.

ABQ

I love Hoop Dee Doo just the way it is. I go every 3 years and love it. DON'T CHANGE WHAT WORKS. I think it makes fun of all of us who go while serving the best fried chicken on property. I am looking forward to seeing it again and if it is back in September, we will go this year if not I will wait another year.
Absolutely no reason to change it whatsoever, imho.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
They have. When we went in 2018 it was not an all-whitey cast.

They have indeed. One of the two full-time Dollys is a POC (and she’s outstanding), as is one of the two Johnny Ringos. There was a full-time Flora that was a POC, but she left to appear on Broadway in a show called The Prom. There are a number of POC’s that sub for almost every role including a Clare who is regularly seen at Frozen Sing Along as one of the historians.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
They have indeed. One of the two full-time Dollys is a POC (and she’s outstanding), as is one of the two Johnny Ringos. There was a full-time Flora that was a POC, but she left to appear on Broadway in a show called The Prom. There are a number of POC’s that sub for almost every role including a Clare who is regularly seen at Frozen Sing Along as one of the historians.

The short-sighted observation was made by someone who isn't a frequent diner. We've had the pleasure of attending performances at least twice a year for the past decade and will go back when they return.

This is the Dolly actress that everyone raved about, she has the best stage presence and voice.
1623109542027.png

This Dolly is the one we've seen the most. Poor Jim in this picture we watch over three years get larger than life until in 2018 a thinner version replaced him.
1623109582403.png

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The Prom was wonderful (and better than the movie)! Wish it had lasted longer on Broadway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom